Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2003 5:57:45 AM EDT
Could anyone tell me what (currently available) 9mm magwell blocks for the Colt system have the bolt hold open feature? My understanding was that the RRA one does, but the ASA one does not. Of course, I have also heard that the ASA block is far superior in function. Any help or houghts would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:14:08 AM EDT
RRA does not, I've seen them... The magazine is what holds the bolt open. Colt mags are the only ones that I know of that do this, and they are very pricey...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:58:59 AM EDT
Well, I know the colt mags actaute the bolt hold-open, but my understanding was that the magazine block has to be designed in a certain way for this to work and that the bolt hold open will not operate with an ASA block even with Colt mags. I guess that is really what my question should have been. Probably can't afford Colt mags, but would like the option if I win the lottery [:)]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:59:58 AM EDT
[url=http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101794]Sog Armory[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:36:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Energizer: RRA does not, I've seen them...
View Quote
Dawg180 was referring to the mag blocks not the Mags. Unless RRA has changed recently, their mag blocks DO hold the bolt back if using COLT mags. RRA and Colt use the same mag block - they get them from the same source. the one drawback I see is that they require an allen wrench for removal. They look just like the one that Osprey21 posted a link to. Other ones that have the bolt hold open feature are: crossfire block - no longer made tacblock - what I personally have, clone of crossfire and does not require any tools. The bottom loading Hahn block - very nice Colt/RRA block - already mentioned. If I didn't already have a bunch of Colt mags, I would get the TOP loading Hahn block as their workmanship is top notch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 10:40:35 AM EDT by Energizer]
well... that clears up everything... So, in other words, you [b]still[/b] need Colt mags to hold the bolt open.... I had no idea there were so many block types out there.
RRA and Colt use the same mag block - they get them from the same source. the one drawback I see is that they require an allen wrench for removal. They look just like the one that Osprey21 posted a link to.
View Quote
If RRA and Colt use the same mag block, how come they mount differently???
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:15:47 AM EDT
View Quote
They don't mount differently. Maybe you saw a RRA gun that had an ASA block in it. Yes, you need a mag block that has the bolt open feature AND Colt mags. Mike Maguire WAS going to make a run of special followers that had a spring loaded plunger in it that would go in an Uzi mag that would engage the bolt hold open latch on the mag block but I last time I saw him he told me he wasn't going to bother. I did get to handle his prototype and watched him shoot it and it worked great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 9:44:12 AM EDT by Energizer]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
View Quote
They don't mount differently. Maybe you saw a RRA gun that had an ASA block in it. Yes, you need a mag block that has the bolt open feature AND Colt mags. Mike Maguire WAS going to make a run of special followers that had a spring loaded plunger in it that would go in an Uzi mag that would engage the bolt hold open latch on the mag block but I last time I saw him he told me he wasn't going to bother. I did get to handle his prototype and watched him shoot it and it worked great.
View Quote
I too have wondered why none would make a follower like they do for the Armalite .308 mags. Actually, my mag block in my Colt is pinned in (holes drilled in the receiver). My friend's RRA (from RRA) has a block that's not pinned in... so they are, in fact, different.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:32:37 AM EDT
Great info here, but let me ask again: Does the American Spirit Arms block allow the bolt hold open to work if Colt mags are used? Amphibian- who makes the tac block? Also, how good is the Hahn block and do the top and bottom loading ones both work the bolt catch? What holds in the bottom loading Hahn block? I tak it the one sold at SOG armory is the ASA block? That is what it looks like...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:21:34 PM EDT
Dawg180, I thought I answered your question by listing all the mag blocks that I know of that have the bolt open feature above. I didn't mention the ASA block before because you asked which ones had the bolt open feature and the ASA does NOT. The Hahn block is made in both top and bottom loading models. I like the workmanship very much. Only the bottom loading one holds the bolt open after the last round. The top loading block is held in by a spring loaded "roller" no tools necessary for insertion/removal. The Tacblock is held in by a spring loaded ball detent. NO, the one that SOG is selling looks like the one Colt/RRA sells. Energizer - I think you were confused regarding the Colt blocks. Colt made the ones that have which are pinned in but ALSO sell a block that does not require any holes to be drilled which is the one RRA/Colt is selling. Go to [url]http://www.brownells.com[/url] and type in Hahn and you will see a pic of the block. They incorrectly state that both will hold the bolt open after the last round. Only the bottom one will. While I think it can be done, nobody is currently selling a TOP loading block that holds the bolt open after the last round. Reason being is that the "latch" would have to move out of the way upon insertion and move back under the standard 5.56 bolt hold open catch after the block is seated in the mag block. I have more info on my 9mm setup on my website here: [url]http://www.c3junkie.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:37:59 PM EDT
Sorry Amphibian, I realized that is what you meant after I read the post again!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:40:34 AM EDT
I'm working on a conversion for the ASA block that will allow the bolt catch to work with Colt mags. If I can get parts made for a reasonable price, I'll be offering them here and elsewhere. I made one for myself that works perfectly. The problem is mass-producing them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:14:24 AM EDT
Dedeye, Do you have pics you could post (or email)? I think everyone here would like to see your handywork!
Top Top