Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2002 6:14:02 AM EDT
Well, I finally got my package from Sableco yesterday (ordered it in August) with my RRA 9mm upper, 9mm hammer, and 9mm spring/buffer combo.  It is going on my Colt pre-ban lower.  I have several question for you experts:

1. The hammer will not accept the pin from the Colt lower.  What gives?

2. The spring/buffer combo I received looks identical to the .223 setup.  The spring even seems to have roughly the same stiffness (although I don't have a tension meter to test it).  Is the 9mm spring/buffer supposed to look appreciably different?  Did I get a .223 setup by mistake?

3. How in the world do I make the magblock work?  I figured out how to orient it in the mag well and to make it lock in place by depressing the mag release on the lower.  Now what do I do with the setscrew on the bottom of the magblock?  Also, how do I drop the 9mm mags without dropping the magblock each time?

Oh, and someone mentioned that the 9mm uppers are heavy.  Yikes, they are surely right!  I expected them to be lighter because of the reduced pressures, but not the case.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

1. The hammer will not accept the pin from the Colt lower.  What gives?

Big pin Colt don't fit the small hole in hammer?

2. The spring/buffer combo I received looks identical to the .223 setup.  The spring even seems to have roughly the same stiffness (although I don't have a tension meter to test it).  Is the 9mm spring/buffer supposed to look appreciably different?  Did I get a .223 setup by mistake?

For use in semi auto mode, I do not believe buffer will matter,  I think it only comes into play if you run auto and with a shorty stock.

3. How in the world do I make the magblock work?  I figured out how to orient it in the mag well and to make it lock in place by depressing the mag release on the lower.  Now what do I do with the setscrew on the bottom of the magblock?  Also, how do I drop the 9mm mags without dropping the magblock each time?

Install mag block to correct position, snug the set screw to hold block into magwell. the set screw device holds the block in place so you can use the std mag release to do mag change.

Oh, and someone mentioned that the 9mm uppers are heavy.  Yikes, they are surely right!  I expected them to be lighter because of the reduced pressures, but not the case.

Added weight will offset recoil. If it bothers you, have the barrel contoured to the style you like to remove some weight, though barrel will heat fastr as you remove material that could absorb the heat. You decide.

Feel free to correct me, as I do not have my 9mm yet.

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
rock_jock88

You need a Colt large pin 9mm hammer.  

I had the opposit problem that you encountered with your 9mm hammer.  My 9mm hammer came with the Colt 9mm kit I bought a few years ago.  I didn't know that it was for Colt large pin lowers until I installed it in my Bushmaster lower (small pin). The Hammer worked OK in my bushmaster lower, but every once in a while I would get double taps due to the excessive play.  I am now using a RRA 9mm hammer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Right, large-pin.  Donnie sent me the wrong one.  Not really his fault as RRA, it turns out, does not produce 9mm hammers for the Colt.  Does anyone know a source for large-pin Colt 9mm hammers?  I found a place called Specialized Armament Warehouse, but they want $54 for a hammer!!  Compare that to the one from RRA (including Sableco's markup) of $15.  What do they make it of?  Platinum?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top