Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 7:17:56 PM EDT
Cross posted to build forum as well. Figured some guys here don't go in there. Anyway:

This is part of a gigantic multi-firearm fishing expedition, have a decent summer job, want many things, can only get one.
Well, I was thinking about having Jayson at IGF put together a MP5 clone for me (so it would work), but have been now thinking about putting together a Colt System 9mm AR-15, so then I could transfer uppers, be cheaper, etc. I also want to build it, to save costs, since I'm a poor college student.

Anyway, this is what I've calculated out so far:

RRA A2 9mm Upper: $450
Rock River Arms Lower: $140
RRA parts kit $58
RRA CAR stock: $65 (I like the look)
ASA drop in mag block (Colt, modified Uzi): $150
M16 Hammer (grind off autosear notch): $13.95
Total: $876.95

It's mostly Rock River, because I hear good things, but I've never built or been involved with a build, so I don't know what else is really out there. If anybody has anyway of cutting costs, but still coming out with a quality firearm, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Also, any advice on SBR jobs? I think if I did this I would want to bring it down to a 10.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
450 is *way* too much to pay for a rock river 9mm upper. I got my detachable carry handle upper with bolt and charging handle for 370 delivered. You might not be able to find it that low, but don't pay retail on it.

Buy a dpms cast lower because you really don't need a forged lower for a 9mm carbine. Or buy an eagle arms lower from quantico if you have to have forged. Use a dpms parts kit, usually you can buy the kit with the stripped lower for less money.

I paid 90 dollars for the RRA magwell adapter block. Again, don't pay retail. Buy a 9mm hammer, don't play around with m-16 parts for legal reasons, unless you are class 03. Also, don't believe peoples word on what you can and can't do to parts to make them legal. (CYA, always).

I don't like pinned car stocks, so I got an a2 to use on mine. Also, don't forget to get a 9mm buffer. If you use anything longer than a car length tube, you will need a spacer to take up the extra space.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy mine...

Cut off the bayonet lug, Silver solder on a muzzle brake and avoid the uzi mag prices,  Get your lower and you are good to go.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=166665[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
[size=5]RRA![/size=5]

The poor man's MP5
|
|
|
V
[img]http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/9mmfun1.jpg[/img]

I don't know where one can get a $90 genuine RRA magwell adapter and I didn't realize that $11 was too much for a very easy to load 25 round mag but I have to say that my RRA setup works pretty well when using good mags and good ammo.

If you stick with a straight Colt-pattern setup, get at least one Colt mag.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[size=5]RRA![/size=5]

The poor man's MP5
|
|
|
V
[url]http://www.vzavenue.net/~eumenides/m16/9mmfun1.jpg[/url]

I don't know where one can get a $90 genuine RRA magwell adapter and I didn't realize that $11 was too much for a very easy to load 25 round mag but I have to say that my RRA setup works pretty well when using good mags and good ammo.

If you stick with a straight Colt-pattern setup, get at least one Colt mag.  
View Quote
It was 99.00 that I paid for it, but that was thrown in there to sweeten a deal on some other items.

I went through and sent the guy a list of all of the parts he needed and what I paid for them. My uzi mags work fine for me, though maybe after (if) the ban sunsets we might be able to get ahold of some new production colt mags.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm planning on sticking with straight Colt. I like the whole cheap Sten mag idea, but the last shot bolt hold is something I don't like to lose.

Would like to grab a Colt or two down the road. Have to eat a bunch of Ramen this winter or something. That will have to wait until after I SBR it. 9mm out of a 16 inch isn't as cool as a 10.5, imo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm planning on sticking with straight Colt. I like the whole cheap Sten mag idea, but the last shot bolt hold is something I don't like to lose.

On good UZI mags the follower is steel. One can spot weld a tab on the follower that will enable the "bolt hold open".  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
[url=http://www.sableco.net/id21.htm]Sableco.net[/url] !!!

RRA 9mm upper  $379.00
RRA lower      $95.00
RRA Parts Kit  $60.00
RRA Mag Block  $124.00
RRA 9mm hammer $15.00

TOTAL:  $673

That's the way I'm going anyway [snoopy]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anybody make a 10.5 inch 9mm upper for if/when I get this into a SBR? Or would I have to buy another upper and get it turned down?

I'd like to keep a 16 inch upper around, for traveling to unfriendly states (Alabama).

I'm assuming I should go with KKF for a fake 9mm flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anybody make a 10.5 inch 9mm upper for if/when I get this into a SBR? Or would I have to buy another upper and get it turned down?
View Quote
[blue]
Colt will be only source for 10" factory barrel, as RRA only makes 16" (not doing NFA stuff), you will have to cut a 16" to the length desired.[/blue]

I'd like to keep a 16 inch upper around, for traveling to unfriendly states (Alabama).
View Quote
[blue]
Wont happen legally, as the serial # is registered as a "SBR", even though it is wearing a 16" or longer barrel.[/blue]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a RRA 16" and cut it down. Threaded it 1/2-28 and my 92F Phantom Can is used on this upper too.....
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/9mm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the dealers in shotgun news is selling SBR 9mm uppers. They look like my RRA.

BTW, I have a preban upper and mag block for sale, $550 to good home. Like new.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top