Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:19:12 PM EDT
Hello All!
  I'm planning on building an AR15 9mm pistol.  I've been reading the boards and would appreciate a little clarification.  In the 9mm FAQs on bolt ramping it states:

Ramping a Colt style 9mm Bolt: Why??

Although a Colt/Rock River 9mm upper will work with most hammers, it really was intended to be used with the Rock River 9mm hammer. The hammers are reset in only 1/2" of bolt travel, which puts a considerable stress on both the hammer and the hammer pins. Although it will not ruin a gun immediately, on a long enough time scale, espeically on full auto guns, this constant beating can wear on the lower and in some instances will "egg out" the hammer in holes. The easy solution to this is to "ramp" the bolt, where the ramped area is increased in length (a shallower slope) thus increasing the reset distance to about 1 1/4" or so, and more than doubling the reset time of the hammer, thus lowering the impact forces on the lower, pins, etc.

Does the "egg out" issue apply only when using a modified m16 or "DPMS" style hammer, or is that also an issue when using a 9mm hammer?  My rig will be a fairly dedicated 9mm pistol.  I already have a "DPMS" style hammer and am just trying to decide whether to go ahead and have the bolt ramped or just buy a RR 9mm hammer.  The hammer is cheaper, but I'd rather not have to worry about egging out my receiver if that's an issue with this setup.

Thanks in advance for your help and information!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not believe bolt ramping is not necessary if you use a 9mm hammer. My RRA un-ramped bolt does not reset the RRA 9mm hammer until approximately 1.5" of travel.  If you don't bump fire and is not using it in a M16, getting the 9mm hammer is the cheaper way to go.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
get it ramped,just got mine done and its great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I do not believe bolt ramping is not necessary if you use a 9mm hammer. My RRA un-ramped bolt does not reset the RRA 9mm hammer until approximately 1.5" of travel.  If you don't bump fire and is not using it in a M16, getting the 9mm hammer is the cheaper way to go.

Anyone agree or disagree? I'm thinking hammer on a dedicated 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Disregard my previous question. MtDew gave me a heads up on my thread. Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top