Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:55:54 PM EDT
I just posted about my almost-completed pistol in the main forum, but I figured this was a good place to share.

Below is a pic of my not-yet-completed 9mm pistol.  I'm still waiting on a mag block, some colt 32 round mags, and an EOTech sight.  It's a bit big and none too lightweight - I primarily put this together to have a legal place to park the short 9mm upper when it's not on my M16.  

I discovered that the standard pistol buffer assembly would not work with the colt 9mm setup, so I went with a carbine length receiver extension and a receiver gusset to hold in the takedown detent stuff.  Both the extension and the gusset were purchased from Ace Stocks.  Could also just use a standard extension for a collapsible stock, but that seemed a little too close to an SBR for my liking.

http://www.ioka.net/pics/ar159mm1.jpg

The pic below shows the pistol with my 3-lug 9mm suppressor attached.  

http://www.ioka.net/pics/ar159mm2.jpg

Joe
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sweet!  I've been kicking around a couple of pistol lowers myself to park some short barrel uppers on when the M16 is "busy".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
why cant you use the pistol buffer with a different spring as in the 223 cals
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a pistol buffer and intended to use it for this build, but I didn't know jack about the colt 9mm setup when I started (note that these comments may or may not apply to the oly system - I just don't know).

Anyway, the pistol buffer uses an insert the fits INTO the hollow ass-end of the ar-15 bolt carrier.  The recoil spring then fits into this insert.  Also, the pistol buffer assembly includes a shaft that the recoil spring fits over to help ensure it doesn't kink under compression.  

Now, the colt-style bolt (note that the colt system uses a single piece bolt + bolt carrier that I'm calling the "bolt") is SOLID in the rear due to the added weight.  This creates two problems:  there's no where to place the insert and there's no way this is going to be able to recoil over the shaft that contains the spring.

One solution might be to remove the added weight at the rear of the 9mm bolt, but I'm reluctant to take that step.  With a pure blow-back system like this, the extra weight seems like a good idea.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:38:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just posted about my almost-completed pistol in the main forum, but I figured this was a good place to share.

SNIP, SNIP

I discovered that the standard pistol buffer assembly would not work with the colt 9mm setup, so I went with a carbine length receiver extension and a receiver gusset to hold in the takedown detent stuff.  Both the extension and the gusset were purchased from Ace Stocks.  Could also just use a standard extension for a collapsible stock, but that seemed a little too close to an SBR for my liking.

www.ioka.net/pics/ar159mm1.jpg

The pic below shows the pistol with my 3-lug 9mm suppressor attached.  

www.ioka.net/pics/ar159mm2.jpg

Joe

Hummm..... may I ask how much the said receiver gusset cost?  I've seen that 'part' on pictures before, but was unaware it was available as a seperate item. How is it held on the tube??  I purchased a tactical entry stock tube from RRA.... but I didn't have an easy way to hold the detent/spring in.....

This set up give another option to people who want a truely *modular* AR pistol (which the M1S tube does not.)

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hummm..... may I ask how much the said receiver gusset cost?  I've seen that 'part' on pictures before, but was unaware it was available as a seperate item. How is it held on the tube??  I purchased a tactical entry stock tube from RRA.... but I didn't have an easy way to hold the detent/spring in.....

This set up give another option to people who want a truely *modular* AR pistol (which the M1S tube does not.)

I got the gusset direct from Ace by calling them up and asking for one (info at www.aceltdusa.com).  It was $30 if I remember correctly.  It works as a clamp - it's split up the middle and is clamped on the tube by the sling attachment point you can see in my pictures.  It's pretty solid when installed.

An even more modular approach would be to install a regular receiver extension from a collapsible stock - you could just switch to a >16" upper and then slip the stock on and **presto** you've got a rifle.  Very cool, but after all the hassle I've been thru to get my NFA toys, I'm not willing to take even small risks on "constructive possession" of an SBR.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
$30 for that part.....

RRA is selling the entry ACE stock (no tube) for $80.00....  I might get the entire stock.... and lock away the "stock" part.  Or use that when converting from pistol to carbine.  I'll come up w/ a way to lock out the stock so that one can't convert easily.....
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top