Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:06:37 AM EDT
Maybe someone can help.
Having trouble with bolt hold open in my RRA 9mm build. Have Hahn Mag block and new Colt mags.
Will very rarely hold open... know there is a tweak. can someone give me advice or point me to the thread. I know I've read about a fix here (heavy mag springs?). Just can't find it.
Also am aware that the plastic followers don't work as well as the old style metal ones.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
click here and scroll to the bottom
i have one 32rd colt mag that would not bho when it was new.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the new Colt mags have springs that are weak.  You will notice that the back of the follower has barely any pressure to it to activate a BHO.  Even the last round will move around under the lip on many mags.  Frustrating to pay for Colt "quality" mags and get shit springs.  Colt mags vary depending on when they were made.

You can stretch them........but it is preferable to buy new Wolff springs.

IMHO........Colt isn't the company it used to be.....long gone are the quality products of yesterday.....AR-15s, revolvers, and 1911s are now made better by other companies.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys for the help. Ordered the springs yesterday. will see how they work and post some pics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
oh yeah! GOT BHO!
Wolff springs work great. Thanks all.
Thanks DSG for quick service!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
im waiting to order some for mine as well.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
just an update...200 rounds thru today and no problems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Now get a Q buffer from Slash so your bolt stop doesn't break in another few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
could you point me in his direction?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
found it. maybe should look 1st before asking...
thanks again for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
i heard about slash's buffer after i bought my mgi rate/recoil reducing buffer but i have talked to him and it does sound promising.

if i build/purchase another im gonna give it a try.
on a side note, my 6450 runs flawlessly with the mgi buffer and reduces muzzle flip and recoil to a min, rapid fire stays on target and i could actually watch the bullets hit through my compact acog.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a pic of my new Hahn that uses the 5.56mm bolt stop.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
my colt le6450 uses a 5.56 bolt catch as well
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
q-buffer on the way. these guys are quick and i appreciate the way they do business.
great service!
thanks Clint.
thanks modog.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Now get a Q buffer from Slash so your bolt stop doesn't break in another few hundred rounds.

You do know that round count has nothing to do with bolt catch breakage, right?

A person could shoot 10 million rounds through their 9mm AR and never break a bolt catch if they don't run any mags dry and never activate the last round bolt hold open feature.  Conversely, if a person only loaded a couple rounds into each mag and shot a bunch of mags until they were all empty so the bolt hold open would actuate, they would possibly, maybe even likely, break a bolt catch eventually.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top