Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 6:44:31 AM EDT
I picked up a 9mm buffer this weekend to use in my M4 type AR15.  The buffer seemed to be too large and was causing the spring to bind up on the buffer.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did I get a buffer that is out of spec, or do I need a different spring than the CAR spring that I am using?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm running a Colt Tungsten H buffer which is the same weight as the 9mm buffer and so far everything is working great.

If you put yout new 9mm buffer next to the old buffer you removed does the front part that contacts the bolt carrier appear larger then the older buffer?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently had the exact same problem. I ended up using a die grinder with a sanding wheel to reduce the overall outside diameter of the buffer. I also swapped around buffer springs until I found a looser combo. I think variations in the manufacturing of the springs has as much to do with the problem as the buffer being too big.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What kind of CAR stock do you have??

I have a 9mm buffer in my gun and i am not experiencing any problems.

Have you heard of this as an issue before?  I haven't, but I don't know that many people running 9mm buffers either.  To the best of my knowledge, it should be an issue.

Who made the 9mm buffer that is causing problems?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I've used every single buffer that Colt makes and have never had that problem... Always with the factory Colt springs too.

Who made the 9mm buffer you're using?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
my two piece heavy buffer was purchased from brownells.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top