Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:25:58 PM EDT
I am considering getting another AR in an alternative caliber. I like 9mm because I will have ammo commonality with my Beretta and with decent JHP ammo, it should be a very effective defensive weapon, not to mention very fun and affordible to shoot. It seems that the Olympic 9mm carbine which accepts Glock magazines may be a better choice than another model which takes the Colt/Uzi magazines. I am unfamiliar with the specifics about the magazines for the 9mm AR,

but it was my understanding that good magazines for this platform were expensive and difficult to obtain. I understand that you can modify Uzi magazines, but is this difficult/labor intensive and does it compromise effectiveness? It seems that the Olympic which takes the 33 round Glock
magazine might be the best solution. Magazines are cheap/availible and they are quite reliable, at least in my experience. Can anyone give me the "skinny" on the Colt/Uzi magazines and the weapons that take them in comparison to the Olympic which takes Glock mags? Is there any other 9mm carbines I should consider, other than Colt? *I am not interested in paying a premium

price for the Colt as this will essentially be a fun-gun* For this application, it being made by Olympic doesn't bother me in the least. I don't have a problem with Oly as they make great guns....but not my first choice for a serious defensive firearm. I also am not interested in the
Storm, even though this is probably the best choice as I have a metric ton of Beretta magazines, but they are just fugly and I really don't like the feel. Its pretty hard to argue with the AR platform, in any caliber. Any help of insight anybody can offer will surely be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:28:39 PM EDT
I think the Oly 9mm that takes the Glock mags is definetly the way to go. I wish they sold the lower separate but they don't.

I am getting one when I get some money. Plan to SBR it also. That would be a fun little gun that I can shoot for cheap. 10$ for 100 rounds of good ammo is hard to beat. Be a nice little defense carbine as well. Plus with no gas system you can cut the barrel really short
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:17:57 AM EDT
You should post post this question in the Rimfire and Pistol Calibers forum. You will get a lot more traffic in the proper forum. There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks who hang out there and there are some tacked threads that cover a lot of info on 9mm ARs.
Top Top