Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:56 PM EDT
I want to build an uber short AR pistol in 9mm.

Will a 5" bbl compromise reliability?
Which is the most reliable system to use Colt, RRA, or Oly?
I'd like to setup with sten mags to keep that cost as low as possible, which system with mag blocks allows this?
I want to use the stock mag catch and will do minor mods to mags to do so as long as I dont have to weld on them.

I have a Triple X suppressor that I would probably get overbored for 9mm once this gets together. Anybody have an opinion on how quiet the XXX is with 9mm?

How short will I need to make the barrel to keep 115gr FMJ stuff subsonic?

(this will most likely get SBR'd within a few months of completeion)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 12:50:37 PM EDT by Dace]

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

Will a 5" bbl compromise reliability? 9mm system are blow back
I'd like to setup with sten mags to keep that cost as low as possible, which system with mag blocks allows this? oly system uses sten mags
I want to use the stock mag catch and will do minor mods to mags to do so as long as I dont have to weld on them. not possible with oly system or sten mags

I have a Triple X suppressor that I would probably get overbored for 9mm once this gets together. Anybody have an opinion on how quiet the XXX is with 9mm?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 1:04:19 PM EDT by fq1234]

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

Will a 5" bbl compromise reliability?
I'd like to setup with sten mags to keep that cost as low as possible, which system with mag blocks allows this?
I want to use the stock mag catch and will do minor mods to mags to do so as long as I dont have to weld on them.

I don't think you'll get the 115 gr subsonic unless you can port the barrel and bleed off the gas such as in an MP5SD.

I have a suppressed Mac-11 with the standard length barrel (4-6 inches I think). I have to use 147 gr to go subsonic.

I just built a 4 inch 9mm upper to use with my Mac suppressor. I haven't gotten to try it yet, I guess it would be similiar to what you're looking at doing.

I prefer the Colt/RRA system. The mags aren't that bad, especially the modified UZI mags. If you go with the Hytech block you can use unmodified UZI mags but you won't have the standard AR mag catch.

You can buy UZI mags and modify them yourself, it only requires a cut in the proper place on the left side of the mag.

The mag block on mine right now is the Hytech. If you're intersted, drop me an email and I'll give you a deal on it. I want to go with one that uses the modified mags as I have several that aren't UZI mags and won't work with the block.

Check out this link for reviews of silencers. I don't know if the XXX is on there, I can't get it to load right now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:36:59 PM EDT
Let me know how it goes. I am looking to build on in 45ACP and I was considering the OLY Glock lower if the make it for 45.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT
I currently run a .45 setup so I know they're blowback operation but didnt know if the short barrel would effect anything. I guess not. I can handle milling a notch in the mag to use the stock catch but prefer not to have to weld anything on to the mags. Cheap mags are the preference, Uzi mags seem a bit more expensive. I only want the 9mm because it's cheap to shoot and has hicap mags. It seems a great plinking combo, not to mention I already have the XXX suppressor to mate up ( at least I will when ATF quits farting around and approves my 90+ day past pending paperwork )
Top Top