Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2011 7:41:41 PM EDT
I am having a heck of a time getting mine to run right. 90% of the time the spent case will not make it out of the gun and gets jammed along with the new round. Looks like it may be short stroking? Doesn't appear to be a mag issue as it does it with all of my mags I have. Mix of C-Products and modified Uzi...
Components are as follow:

Mega billet upper/CH
ADCO ramped BCG
Spikes 5" barrel
RRA 2 stage trigger
UBR w/ Wolff XP and Slash's XH buffer

Help me out here, I want this thing running like a top!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
90% of the time the spent case will not make it out of the gun and gets jammed along with the new round.
I'll put money on the problem being your ejector.  There is a tiny space that the face of the ejector needs to be in for it to properly work.  If it doesn't, the fresh round is what strips the empty off the bolt face, causing exactly the problem you describe.

The ejector needs to be almost in contact with the ejector channel in the bolt.  Try to very gently bend the whole ejector inward, toward the centerline of the weapon, and then see if the gun will eject an empty case.  Keep trying with small adjustments until you run the ejector into the bolt, then back off the tiniest amount.

In rare cases, the face of the ejector is not lined up with the bolt face, and you can see "partial ejection" and other problems,  But it sounds like your problem is just that the ejector isn't quite located perfectly, and that's a problem you can fix in a few minutes at your workbench with a handful of empty cases and careful tweaking.  For what it's worth, this applies to any Colt-style 9mm carbine, whether you're using a standard lower receiver with a magazine block or a dedicated 9mm lower.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What ammo are you using?

115gr reloads. They are pretty hot as they are on top of a max load of hs6. Also tried some wwb and blazer with the same results
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Try hand cycling to check for
reasonable ejection, and then
post those results here.

John
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the fresh round is what strips the empty off the bolt face, causing exactly the problem you describe.

Porter,
 Can you explain this. I don't understand
what you mean.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What mag block are you using?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Hand cycling is fine.
Using hahn semi perm bottom loader
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with it being an ejector issue.  Bend the ejector toward the center of the bolt and up.  If you do it too much, it will cause binding.  

There's a picture showing the before and after of this and how the brass hits the ejector.  I'm too lazy to look for it right now though.

With the ejector in the position it's in right now, the brass is being ejected not directly out of the ejector port.  It's ejecting too high, hitting the inside of the receiver and staying in the gun causing it to jam.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the fresh round is what strips the empty off the bolt face, causing exactly the problem you describe.

Porter,
what you mean.

Thanks!

John

With the ejector properly adjusted, the empty is kicked out of the upper long before the bolt clears the top round in the magazine.  But if the ejector doesn't knock the empty case off the bolt, the extractor still holds it firmly against the bolt face.  When the bolt goes far enough back, the top round in the magazine rises enough to push the empty UP off the bolt and extractor, but there's nothing to make the empty leave the upper, so it just stays in there, riding above the new round until it winds up between the breech end of the barrel and the top of the bolt.  

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Porter,
what you mean.

Thanks!

John

With the ejector properly adjusted, the empty is kicked out of the upper long before the bolt clears the top round in the magazine.  But if the ejector doesn't knock the empty case off the bolt, the extractor still holds it firmly against the bolt face.  When the bolt goes far enough back, the top round in the magazine rises enough to push the empty UP off the bolt and extractor, but there's nothing to make the empty leave the upper, so it just stays in there, riding above the new round until it winds up between the breech end of the barrel and the top of the bolt.  

Hope that helps.

That helps. I did not understand from
your first post.

Thanks.

John

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am having a heck of a time getting mine to run right. 90% of the time the spent case will not make it out of the gun and gets jammed along with the new round. Looks like it may be short stroking? Doesn't appear to be a mag issue as it does it with all of my mags I have. Mix of C-Products and modified Uzi...

Mega billet upper/CH
ADCO ramped BCG
Spikes 5" barrel
RRA 2 stage trigger

I am slow on this one. If he's gettiing both the empty
and the new round together, he has an extractor
failure. I had the same problem intermittantly and
replaced the entire bolt when I couldn't get the
extractor pin out of the old one. Back to 100%.

John

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mega billet upper/CH
ADCO ramped BCG
Spikes 5" barrel
RRA 2 stage trigger

I am slow on this one. If he's gettiing both the empty
and the new round together, he has an extractor
failure. I had the same problem intermittantly and
replaced the entire bolt when I couldn't get the
extractor pin out of the old one. Back to 100%.

John

Extractor failures are rare, while ejector misalignment is way too common.  If tweaking his ejector doesn't fix the problem though, the extractor is the next suspect.  But I'll put a quarter on it being his ejector...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top