Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2005 2:39:05 AM EDT
Mags? I've seen Modified Uzi 25rd, and Colt-SMG style. Which are the highest cap that work well are a inexpensive?

Upper / Lowers?

Barrels? Are they only available in 16"?
If I install a 6-position collapsible stock, and have it contracted would the overall length be under 30"?

Will Wolf 9mm work fine through a 9mm AR-15?

Can I shoot 100yd targets w/ decent accuracy or is it limited to only 50yd or under?

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There are none that are inexpensive that actually work well.  IMHO, if you want the most reliable 9mm system you need to use a Colt mag block and Colt magazines.  All the rest are just copies.

P.S.  Check out the Rimfire & Pistol Caliber section for more info on 9mm AR's
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I flood the pistol caliber forum with questions... what kind of price am I looking at for a 9mm setup from a lower up to the barrel?

Does it have to be 100% Colt or can I use RRA uppers/barrels w/ the Colt mag blocks + Colt mags?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Metroplex, what are you going to use the 9mm for? Plinking or serious or both? Are you just interested in Colt or Colt style ARs?

I don't own a Colt 9MM, I have an OLY and use sten mags that cost me 3-7 bucks aeach with a socom block. I have yet to have a failure to feed or extract shooting Wolf, Win White box, 9mm Nato, Federal, Gold dots, umc and reloads. I have shot over 9000  rounds so far.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not made of money so I don't want a Colt or Colt copy. I want a 9mm AR-15 that works... It'd be for plinking and serious use, but not a safe queen.

SOCOM block + Sten mags, I'm intrigued!

What would be the max effective range of a 9mm AR-15? 50yd? 100yd? I don't plan to shoot SUPER long range, but I'd prefer not to be limited to only short ranges (25yd or 50yd).

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 9mm upper, bolt and mag adapter from J&T Distributing a few years ago.  It uses standard Colt 9mm magazines or Uzi mags with just one little extra slot cut.  It snaps into the mag-well and you trun an allen screw that puts pressure on the sides of the adapter locking it in place.  This allows you to use the regular mag release with no worry of the whole unit falling out.  I have a 10" barrel with a 3-lug adapter I gought from Gemtech so I can use MP5 suppressors and accessories.  It currently sports an AWC Mini-Tac and a set of the new Crimson Trace Laser Grips.  I like the setup and it is lots of fun to shoot.  (I actually just had an article on the Crimson Trace unit in the April 2005 Issue of SAR and it is pictured in there).

On distance,  I plug away at targets (appliance size) at 100 yards and have consistant hits.

I hope this helps!

Jeff Z
Small Arms Review Magazine
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before I flood the pistol caliber forum with questions...

??? That's the friggin' point of having a dedicated pistol caliber forum!! It's a sub-community of this site. A lot of helpful folks hang out there and would be very happy to answer your questions. Go the correct forum and flood away.

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Oly makes a great pistol caliber top.  You use a normal lower (no modifications to the hammer, etc.)

Get a SOCOM block, which locks into the mag well, and you can use $6 Sten magazines unmodified.  I don't think that the world will ever run out of sten magazines.  Tapco has them all the time for cheap, and in great condition.  I keep 15 loaded to 30 rounds and ready for the range all the time.

Kurts Kustom Firearms works tops with Oly parts, I believe.  I have a factory Oly 9mm with a 10.5 inch barrel and a 5.5 inch flash hider perm attach.  12 inches is about the point of no return for a 9mm, so my Oly actually gets a faster velocity across the chrony than my Colt 16 inch for any given load.

Plenty accurate out to 100yds.  Loads of fun to put a scope on 'em and shoot out that far, but far greater fun to shoot the poppers at 25 and 50 yards!

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I read the 9mm FAQ and have a few questions that I hope can be answered:

* Can I use a RRA 9mm upper w/ the SOCOM block, and Sten mags?
* Will I still need to use a 9mm hammer w/ the 9mm bolt carrier group?
* I already have a .223 AR-15 (A2 buttstock + standard RRA FCG), what do I need to do so that I don't have to modify the lower and still make it work 100% with a 9mm RRA upper?

Do I have the bolt carrier ramped? Can I buy a 9mm carrier group that is already ramped so I can keep my standard AR-15 hammer? Will this destroy the lower after several thousand rounds?

I'd prefer getting a new lower and stock, but I may do that later on.
Can I keep my standard rifle buffer and spring?

I like RRA products, they're inexpensive and work very well. I don't like spending too much on Uzi or Colt mags. The Sten mags seem very well priced.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a ASA 9mm conversion, I know that some people have bad things to say about them, I've owned mine for about 3yrs now, and I haven't had any problems with mine so far.It uses a drop in from the top magazine block adapter that resembles the colt pin-in style.As far as magazines go, ASA is using converted uzi mags, you just have to cut a cut out for the colt release on the side of the mag, easily done using a dremel tool.ASA charges  abut $24.00 for their mags, but I've been paying about $11.00 at the gunshows for them, either the 25 rounders and 32 rounders.When I bought the conversion I paid $725 for it.It shoots what ever I run through it.With the ASA mag block, when you close the upper receiver, it locks the block in place, and it allows you to use the standard magazine release unlike the oly, which has the block welded onto the magazine body.Like I said I like my ASA alot, no problems for me whatso ever.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I read the 9mm FAQ and have a few questions that I hope can be answered:

* Can I use a RRA 9mm upper w/ the SOCOM block, and Sten mags?
Only if you follow the "Sten mag in Colt system" topic, then at that, most of the pics have dissappeared, as the project fell by the wayside a few yr ago, but a few people are running that way.

* Will I still need to use a 9mm hammer w/ the 9mm bolt carrier group?
No, use this hammer, and all is fine -

* I already have a .223 AR-15 (A2 buttstock + standard RRA FCG), what do I need to do so that I don't have to modify the lower and still make it work 100% with a 9mm RRA upper?
Refer to previous answer,  this pic is 9mm the "easy" way. -

Do I have the bolt carrier ramped?
Do not have to, but in the long run it is advised to be done.

Can I buy a 9mm carrier group that is already ramped so I can keep my standard AR-15 hammer?
All bolt manufactured by various vendors are "COLT" spec,  thus the
ramping is additional labor by somebody that does it. Here is a pic of my "ramped 9mm "COLT" pattern bolt, use the middle hammer (the one with the spring still attached).... DO NOT attempt to drop the bolt closed with the hammer on the right.. (see the notch on the face), this will lock up the works when you drop the bolt to close it using a std 9mm bolt....

Will this destroy the lower after several thousand rounds?
I would not refer to it as "destroy",  you might break a hammer pin over time (M16 guys see it sooner/more often for obvious reason), worst cause is the hammer pin hole will elongate if you do not find the broken pin and keep going on.

I'd prefer getting a new lower and stock, but I may do that later on.
Can I keep my standard rifle buffer and spring?
Refer to the pic above "9mm the easy way"

I like RRA products, they're inexpensive and work very well. I don't like spending too much on Uzi or Colt mags. The Sten mags seem very well priced.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There are none that are inexpensive that actually work well.  IMHO, if you want the most reliable 9mm system you need to use a Colt mag block and Colt magazines.  All the rest are just copies.

P.S.  Check out the Rimfire & Pistol Caliber section for more info on 9mm AR's

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top