Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:44:45 PM EDT
Ok, I've been looking at the 80% lowers and was thinking it would be a good learning experience and maybe a little fun. My question is, do you save any money going this route? How much money can I expect to invest just to complete the lower. The lower and tools, jigs, everything. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are looking to save money, then 80% is NOT for you.  Often they cost more than a complete stripped lower.

If you're starting with nothing, i.e. no tools, jig, lower, drill bits, then you're looking at about $600 in investment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
YOU CAN RENT THE TOOLS  AND SAVE THEN BUYING THE TOOLS

WILLIAM
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I had it figured right. But I would like to to build my own, I don't like black weapons. Does anyone sell stripped lowers that are in the white?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guess I had it figured right. But I would like to to build my own, I don't like black weapons. Does anyone sell stripped lowers that are in the white?

Who in their right mind doesn't like black weapons just kidding, most if not all 80% lower forgings come in the white.  If you are talking about complete lowers in the white, the only ones that I know of are those Diamond billet CNC machined lowers.  Those sure are ugly tho.  I guess you can always strip the finish off an existing lower as well, but that's not recommended.  Have you thought about painting your gun in perhaps some camo pattern?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
YOU CAN RENT THE TOOLS  AND SAVE THEN BUYING THE TOOLS

WILLIAM

I was gonna go with buying the tools till I found out renting was an option.

I don't have the confidence to to the work involved in an 80%

I just opted for the $90 already finished lower from Ameetec
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
you won't save any mola going with the 80% lower. i spent 400 clams already and i still need a drill press and a upper assembly to complete. this is only because i live in california where doj hates ar's. if your not in california i'd buy a complete lower from your ffl dealer.

snipen
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who in their right mind doesn't like black weapons just kidding, most if not all 80% lower forgings come in the white.  If you are talking about complete lowers in the white, the only ones that I know of are those Diamond billet CNC machined lowers.  Those sure are ugly tho.  I guess you can always strip the finish off an existing lower as well, but that's not recommended.  Have you thought about painting your gun in perhaps some camo pattern?

Yup, I was talking about stripped lowers. I guess I'll just go with a paint job. I like green ever since I bought a SA 1911 in OD. Plus it doesn't show up like black on night vision. Not that I'm going into combat with any of my guns.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you're into the colors thing, try Diamondkote firearms finishes and gun coatings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top