Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 3:12:13 AM EDT
I'm thinking of trying my hands at building a lower using a polymer from James Madison tactical and a 80% easy jig. I'm hoping that as a first project this setup won't be to hard to mill. If I can get a nice finishing I'll  probably try an aluminum version. But before I invest in this setup, can anyone else point me to other jigs that may be even easier? I've Google around but there may be folks that sell other jigs that I may have missed. Any suggestions? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The JMT lower comes with a jig.  

The 80% easy jig is the easiest on the market, hands down.

You can get an aluminum lower and mill it out with the easy jig no problem.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just finished a lower with the Modulas Arms jig and it was easy.

The finished pocket was smooth and I did not have to touch up the sides at all with a file.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Can anyone recommend  a good 6061 aluminum 80 lower with the rear pocket complete? All these choices is giving me a headache? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Tactical Machining has 7075 Gen 2 available now. On sale for only $29 if you buy 3. If you screw one up, you'll have back up. If the first one comes out nice, you'll come out ahead...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ares Billet lowers have the rear shelf machined
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tactical Machining has 7075 Gen 2 available now. On sale for only $29 if you buy 3. If you screw one up, you'll have back up. If the first one comes out nice, you'll come out ahead...
View Quote

Milled rear pocket too.  These are 7075 like mentioned, not the 6061 you asked for, but with 7075 this cheap, there's no reason to cheap out here.  I don't know of any advantage to 6061.  It galls up a lot more and you almost have to use a lubricant.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Milled rear pocket too.  These are 7075 like mentioned, not the 6061 you asked for, but with 7075 this cheap, there's no reason to cheap out here.  I don't know of any advantage to 6061.  It galls up a lot more and you almost have to use a lubricant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also agree, the TM Gen 2 in 7075-T6 is the way to go...There is a reason why 6061-T6 is less expensive...Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top