Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/2/2005 4:14:58 PM EDT
I'd like to find a vendor for 80% lowers who takes some form of remote payment like credit cards or (no flames please) paypal. (What a great way to sort of stick it to them).

Anyway, I'd like two in case I screw one up, totally.

thanks

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:38:26 PM EDT
http://www.ar15plus.com/

Sadly, it may be cheaper just to purchase a complete lower receiver. I toyed with this idea until I saw the cost to do it. After all, I can pick up finished lowers until the cows come home at a cost much less than one of their 80% complete forged lowers. If you want to go cast, that is a different story...

Finally, buying two 80% complete lowers is a good idea, just in case the first one you start milling out ends up being the "practice" lower!
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:20:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gunz4me:
http://www.ar15plus.com/

I've ordered from them, no problems.

Sadly, it may be cheaper just to purchase a complete lower receiver. I toyed with this idea until I saw the cost to do it. After all, I can pick up finished lowers until the cows come home at a cost much less than one of their 80% complete forged lowers.

It is definitely cheaper just to purchase a completed lower unless you are going to build a whole bunch of them, or you are going in with other people to split the cost of the tools (jig, drill and tap set, drill press, etc). Or if you already have access to all the tools... Most people will at least need to buy a jig, and that alone makes it way cheaper to buy a complete lower.

If you want to go cast, that is a different story...

Not much -- you still don't save a whole lot money, because you can buy a completed EA cast receiver for a not too dissimilar (they are $67 + $8 shipping + whatever your FFL charges for the transfer, usually $10 to $25) price to a cast 80% (with shipping it will run you around $85, so you only save maybe $25 at the most -- given a good jig will cost you at least $100 shipped, you have to build at least four lowers to break even on it, even assuming you don't need to buy any other tools). The 80% cast receivers are only a little less expensive than the forged ones anyway... maybe $20...

No question about it... people don't build 80% lowers to save money... its because they like it, its a cool project, they are control freaks, etc... or they don't like the 4473 paper trail... The latter reason really only applies to the tinfoil hat set in my opinion, because anyone who just wants to avoid a 4473 can find a lot easier ways to do it like a private sale with cash.

Oh... I also forgot to figure in cost of surface finishing an 80% lower... either anodizing or something like Norrell's or Gun-Kote... that will add a few more bucks...

I bought the CNC jig, a tap and drill set, a drill press, a bottle of Norrell's Moly Resin and an airbrush compressor... already had the airbrush... For what those tools plus the stripped lower cost I could have just about bought four completed lowers! But I love DIY projects...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:49:23 AM EDT

No question about it... people don't build 80% lowers to save money... its because they like it, its a cool project, they are control freaks, etc... or they don't like the 4473 paper trail... The latter reason really only applies to the tinfoil hat set in my opinion, because anyone who just wants to avoid a 4473 can find a lot easier ways to do it like a private sale with cash.

Tell that to the people in CA. They have had no private sale options in a generation, and now all ARs are banned, with existing guns registered and forced confiscations planned (no giving guns to kids). All legal ARs will be eliminated in the state in one generation. Yeah, "tin foil"... give me a fucking break.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:28:59 AM EDT
I've got a machine shop of my own and I am looking for a winter night project(s) now that it is too cold to work on my house.

Just the idea of a DIY firearm is too cool.

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:18:46 AM EDT
Cool deal man.

Truth be told, I am really interested in seeing how an AR-15 built from an 80% receiver turns out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:12:07 PM EDT

Cool deal man.

Truth be told, I am really interested in seeing how an AR-15 built from an 80% receiver turns out.

With some luck, it should turn out just like an AR15!

efxguy

For images of completed projects:

http://tanneryshop.com/MESSAGEBOARD.html
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:52:34 PM EDT

Cool deal man.

Well, here is one of mine:

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:55:07 PM EDT
I bought a KT 80% lower but if I knew about www.ar15plus.com I would have bought from them.

Looks like the only thing left to do is drill the holes right?
Whats the deal with their Ceramic Metal Matrix lower.
Is it just a casting with some fancy surface treatment?

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2005 4:40:45 PM EDT by SoftwareJanitor]

Originally Posted By NevadaARshooter:

Tell that to the people in CA. They have had no private sale options in a generation, and now all ARs are banned, with existing guns registered and forced confiscations planned (no giving guns to kids). All legal ARs will be eliminated in the state in one generation. Yeah, "tin foil"... give me a fucking break.

Completing a non-ban-compliant 80% receiver in CA is still illegal, and if you get caught with one out there, you are still going to be in deep trouble. Since they have registration requirements, even with no paper trail, if you hadn't registered your build by the deadline and it isn't ban compliant, you are still SOL. So I don't see how it changes anything since CA has pretty much all the possible loopholes closed off. About the only advantage I can think of for poor schlobs in CA is you could probably get away with buying a kit, an 80% lower and all the tooling, and storing them without completing them, in case of a SHTF scenario. But that is a pretty annoying and expensive thing to do since if you complete it, you better store it very carefully, and there isn't much difference than if you just went out of state and bought an assembled rifle through a private sale and hid it in CA. Better to move out of CA if you want to be free.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2005 7:00:14 PM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]
Tanery Shop for cast lowers, ask about cosmetic blems, they're good for practice. get the buffer tap & reamer and the bolt hold open drill bit from him.

CNC gunsmithing, Nice jig for $110 IIRC(?)

I've built several with that & some other drill bits and files, I leveled the top plain with a chop saw, by holding the receiver flat on the side of the blade.
Oh yea, you'll need a small drill press, cross slide vise and end mills all from Harbor Freight Tool.

I think you need a 100% receiver right there in the shop so you can take measurements with a caliper.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:56:17 AM EDT
Reading about the Draconian rules in place in CA has me wondering: Why does anyone live there? I mean if you are on this board, interested in building your own, this is an important part of your life. It would be like totally being into fly fishing, living in Montana and not being able to own a fly rod. Not everyone has the ability to just say, "F*CK CA, I'm out of here", but when you consider the high cost to live there, the leftist rules and the like, why not move out of state and show your displeasure with your pocket book?

I've always lived in the Northeast (PA, OH, NY) and have always enjoyed life as a truly free American. I would never live there, ever, no matter how good the opportunity. Thoughts? What are the reasons people who live there and stay put do so? Not trying to rub it in, just understand the mindset.

ChemO

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:38:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ChemO:
Reading about the Draconian rules in place in CA has me wondering: Why does anyone live there? I mean if you are on this board, interested in building your own, this is an important part of your life. It would be like totally being into fly fishing, living in Montana and not being able to own a fly rod. Not everyone has the ability to just say, "F*CK CA, I'm out of here", but when you consider the high cost to live there, the leftist rules and the like, why not move out of state and show your displeasure with your pocket book?

I've always lived in the Northeast (PA, OH, NY) and have always enjoyed life as a truly free American. I would never live there, ever, no matter how good the opportunity. Thoughts? What are the reasons people who live there and stay put do so? Not trying to rub it in, just understand the mindset.

ChemO

You are kidding, right??
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:27:17 AM EDT

Cool deal man.

www.hunt101.com/img/346322.jpg

Where did you get the cool sling loops?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:13:43 AM EDT
invest in the buffer reaming kit. It's worth it's weight in gold. It's the t-handle socket with the bushing that does in the upper receiver...... works great!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:00:43 PM EDT

Cool deal man.

www.hunt101.com/img/346322.jpg

What kind of finish did you use on the lower? Is it Duracoat or hard anodized?
Top Top