Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 5:35:13 AM EDT

This is my first 80% NOC casting.  I have another in the works.  

Next is anodizing and dying.

Overall, a great experience.  Nothing very difficult.  If you are considering doing one, you should.  

Any questions?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is the "before" picture?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where is the "before" picture?
View Quote

I do not own a digital camera.  I had to borrow one to take these pics.  Sorry.

[img]http://www.tanneryshop.com/files/TAN-SS_2.jpg[/img]

This is a pic off the Tannery Shop web site.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
So... let's say I don't have any tools, barely any machine work knowledge, etc.

What do I do? Where do I get the plans? What machinery do I need? etc.

I would love to build my own. I know someone that could possibly help and has access to a shop, but would need to know more so I can tell him about it to see if he will help... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a used OSI jig from TANGOCHASER in the EE here.

There is about $70-80 worth of tooling you will need to buy like the 1 3/16-16 tap and the big reamer for the buffer tube.

I have a drill press at home that I used.

See if you can find someone who can lend you a hand.

Edited to say, if you were in Ohio, I'd be happy to help you out.  I see you are in Texas.  That is a little far to commute.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a used OSI jig from TANGOCHASER in the EE here.

There is about $70-80 worth of tooling you will need to buy like the 1 3/16-16 tap and the big reamer for the buffer tube.

I have a drill press at home that I used.

Edited to say, if you were in Ohio, I'd be happy to help you out.  I see you are in Texas.  That is a little far to commute.
View Quote

I probably have many of the smaller tools since I now own many of my grandfather's machining tools, except for the large ones that were too expensive to ship.

What is an OSI jig, and what does it do?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The jig locates the front and rear takedown pin holes, as well as the fire control parts.

Go to [url]www.tanneryshop.com[/url]

There is a link on his website where to buy the jig.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So... let's say I don't have any tools, barely any machine work knowledge, etc.

What do I do? Where do I get the plans? What machinery do I need? etc.

I would love to build my own. I know someone that could possibly help and has access to a shop, but would need to know more so I can tell him about it to see if he will help... [:D]
View Quote

Machine shop? We don't need no stinkin' machine shop. [url]http://mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, illigb, how much did you pay for the 80% lower from Tannery Shop?  I was looking at their site and I'm all confused.  They have some 80% lowers that were like $200 and some forgings for like $27.  Which one did you get?  I was looking at the link, mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/ and now I'm thinking of doing the same thing, just to play with (heh, like I need that right now, I need to spend money on guns like I need a hole in my head).  Also, how are you going to finish the lower?  

TIA

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey, illigb, how much did you pay for the 80% lower from Tannery Shop?  I was looking at their site and I'm all confused.  They have some 80% lowers that were like $200 and some forgings for like $27.  Which one did you get?  I was looking at the link, mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/ and now I'm thinking of doing the same thing, just to play with (heh, like I need that right now, I need to spend money on guns like I need a hole in my head).  Also, how are you going to finish the lower?  

TIA

Ghost
View Quote

I paid $60 for the casting from NOC.  Occasionally they run a special.  Normally they are $80, IIRC.

I am going to anodize the lowers, then dye them black.  I have never anodized anything before so it will be a learning process for me.  If the dye doesn't hold, I will spray a coating on it.  I have read that some castings will not dye well...  Soon I will find out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Is your 80% lower a cast lower or forged lower?  Keep us posted with the results.  Now I really want to try one...LOL

TIA

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#11]
It is a casting.

My next project is going to be a 0% forging.

I will put up pictures when I get done anodizing and dying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
For all the info you ever needed on an 80% build, see:

[url]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/bs-home.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I just started my first AR project.  I bought the lower, but I'm tempted to get an 80% for my next project.  

I have access to machine shops,  but I know squat about it.  Where at in Ohio are you illigb?  I may bug you when the time comes for the next project.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Edited to say, if you were in Ohio, I'd be happy to help you out. I see you are in Texas. That is a little far to commute.
View Quote

As I understand the law you have to be careful how you have someone help you. The builder of the weapon actually has to do all the pushing of buttons - someone can advice or teach but not put a tool to steel.

Otherwise why not take them to a machine shop by the dozen [:D]

I built a couple myself last Christmas. There are pictures are here:

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?iGalleryUnq=369[/url]

Nice work illgb
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top