Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:29 AM EDT
Brother in law has Aero build to be completed today and was asking about muzzle devices.  I'm somewhat knowledgeable about 5.56 devices, but I understand the .308 has a little more flash,recoil, and concussion to manage.  This is a general purpose rifle, would likely never be a suppressor host, and would be used for range work, hunting (night time about 20%), and potentially long(er) range work

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Gemtech HVT.  

If you have the suppressor, there is no need to limit what may be a "host".  This is a Q.D. can. Put a bi-lock on anything you use it with.

I would say the difference between the .308 and nato 5.56 rounds for concussion and blast is negligible.  I can shoot the .308 all day long with a plain barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gemtech HVT.  

If you have the suppressor, there is no need to limit what may be a "host".  This is a Q.D. can. Put a bi-lock on anything you use it with.

I would say the difference between the .308 and nato 5.56 rounds for concussion and blast is negligible.  I can shoot the .308 all day long with a plain barrel.
View Quote

We must live in different space-time-continuums then.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gemtech HVT.  

View Quote

I agree that suppressors make great muzzle devices, but that's not really in the cards right now for him. If for some reason he begins the NFA game, then he can pony up for a new qd device when he goes that route. IMO I see a pretty big difference in the concussion and blast for the two rounds, and while I'm sure you are capable of long strings with a plain crowned barrel, I'm sure there are better options.

Right now I'm looking at flash/comp combos from Griffin and PWS, but I'd like to hear from those with real world experience.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My advice:  Just get a solid A2 style and spend the money on training ammo.

These muzzle device expenditures only come into play for brakes for competition or QD/QA.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
JP compensators

Lots of choices to match barrel diameters.

They're not friendly to shooters beside you, but they effectively reduce recoil.

I use the large profile and it works great.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
A2 or vortex and call it good
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I opted for the BCM gunfighter comp. This thing is freaking awesome. I've tried the Griffin flash/comp, which i also loved, but it fails in comparison to the BCM. I've tried various 2port and 3port brakes, which i didn't like. Amplified the concussion.

And if you think 308 and 556 are negligible in difference, you either don't shoot, or just trying to sound cool.

Compared to the A2, I've noticed no increase in flash, i mostly shoot during the day, and early dusk of not hunting. Could've been ammo, but i think it does almost as good as the A2 in flash reduction. Recoil and muzzle movement is all but eliminated. Extremely controllable, flat, straight back sharp recoil. Very nice, and it projects the concussion a bit forward. Nothing like a blast can or other similar devices, but enough to take the edge off the firing line. I'd like to see how it feels shooting this comp indoors in formation. That's what it is *allegedly* designed for. I really like it, and can't see myself ever replacing it.

I'm not big on suppressors for rifles. I see them being for people who miss alot

ETA: The first range trip with the BCM comp, one car at the range had a sensitive alarm. Every shot would make it beep. It echoed like a mofo. But from the driver's seat, it's very nice. Even when letting my buddy shoot the next stall over, concussion wasnt bad at all. Mitch worse with port style brakes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I opted for the BCM gunfighter comp. This thing is freaking awesome. I've tried the Griffin flash/comp, which i also loved, but it fails in comparison to the BCM. I've tried various 2port and 3port brakes, which i didn't like. Amplified the concussion.

And if you think 308 and 556 are negligible in difference, you either don't shoot, or just trying to sound cool.

Compared to the A2, I've noticed no increase in flash, i mostly shoot during the day, and early dusk of not hunting. Could've been ammo, but i think it does almost as good as the A2 in flash reduction. Recoil and muzzle movement is all but eliminated. Extremely controllable, flat, straight back sharp recoil. Very nice, and it projects the concussion a bit forward. Nothing like a blast can or other similar devices, but enough to take the edge off the firing line. I'd like to see how it feels shooting this comp indoors in formation. That's what it is *allegedly* designed for. I really like it, and can't see myself ever replacing it.

I'm not big on suppressors for rifles. I see them being for people who miss alot have shots that matter more than mine
View Quote

FIFY

I'll let him decide between a2, griffin, and bcm. I got a text from him a few minutes ago that he picked up glass and the mount today.  I think he went with high end Leupold, I'm interested to see what model he has.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot a lot.  Some people can't shoot a shotgun without having a bruised soul for a months.  Others of us can shoot several rounds of trap in a morning without any issues.  Having steel to pound under a range hood for an entire day with the .308 tells me the recoil and blast is pretty insignificant.  I am also not built like a twelve year old girl with a hipster beard.  

I reloaded 168gr SMK .308 match rounds just an hour ago.  I am among the few that shoot on this board.  

I may be a bit twisted by shooting a 10.5" .223 SBR most of the time compared to a 20" Rem 700 in .308.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Based mostly on looks I chose Surefire's SOCOM 5/8-24 brake with the idea I may eventually use a suppressor on it.  I haven't yet but as a brake it works very well.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shoot a lot.  Some people can't shoot a shotgun without having a bruised soul for a months.  Others of us can shoot several rounds of trap in a morning without any issues.  Having steel to pound under a range hood for an entire day with the .308 tells me the recoil and blast is pretty insignificant.  I am also not built like a twelve year old girl with a hipster beard.  

I reloaded 168gr SMK .308 match rounds just an hour ago.  I am among the few that shoot on this board.  

I may be a bit twisted by shooting a 10.5" .223 SBR most of the time compared to a 20" Rem 700 in .308.
View Quote

Those will have very similar muzzle blast and overpressure waves in confined spaces.

I can also shoot all day on the high house and low house, and have done so with no recoil fatigue.  12 GA is pretty low recoil in my book, from a common scattergun set up for that type of shooting.

I'm 6ft 223lbs though, can lift my own body weight multiple reps with ease, climb ropes, run, carry lots of weight, etc.

I still don't like shooting .308, not because of my shoulder, but because of the impulse that goes through my neck.  I maintain a very solid stock weld on the comb when I shoot, and it hurts my neck shooting rifles that recoil more in extended sessions.  The muzzle blast also distracts from a good sight picture and follow-through, which I find that most shooters are unaware of when it comes to shooting fundamentals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Now I do notice a .300 Win Mag a bit.  I zeroed a friends Kimber with a new scope and handed it to him.  His first shot was dead on.  The rest of the shots weren't on paper.  I guess he would need a muzzle device......
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
For me, a brake isn't about lacking physical strength to absorb recoil....it's about seeing hits and getting back on target quickly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now I do notice a .300 Win Mag a bit.  I zeroed a friends Kimber with a new scope and handed it to him.  His first shot was dead on.  The rest of the shots weren't on paper.  I guess he would need a muzzle device......
View Quote

He needs another cartridge and rifle.

A heavy barreled .300 Win Mag with a brake is a pussycat, but there is no reason for one for me when I have .260 Remington with no brake.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want a brake - get one.  If you don't want one - don't.

Who cares what the other guy thinks about it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I put a Seekins Precision ATC on my Aero M5 factory 308 upper. It tamed the recoil significantly, which was bruising my shoulder after 50+ rounds on my light weight LuthAR stock lower and is also not too obnoxious to your neighbors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey man, i don't have a hipster beard, I'm just lazy and only shave 3 times a year. Be nice
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I like using muzzle brakes on my .30 rifles, as opposed to flash hiders.

Makes them more fun to shoot, albeit a bit louder.

The Spike's Dynacomp works, as well as many others.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
i just went straight to the PA M4-72.  i like it.  also have the M4-72 on my 223 now, used to be LANTAC.  i'm happy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I bounced around trying to decide and ended up getting a cheap 3 port brake off Ebay that worked great. Only $20. Like this Muzzle brake

My latest gun I used the Damage Industries brake that also worked well. I did drill two ports on the top to help keep the barrel down. Also inexpensive on sale for $12.50 Damage Industries
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#21]
BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a JD On my 16" and it was great. I have it post on the EE.  The side concussion is strong and I will be using the riffle in a two person fun blind while hunting so I wanted to go a different route. I have a Troy claymore on order and looking forward to see how it prerfoms.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top