Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:31:28 AM EDT
I've done a lot of looking around to find the best buffer weight for a 7.62x39 AR, and in various posts and places I've seen basically every weight recommended, along with a lot of 'whatever works'.  Understanding that adjusting may be needed, I'd like to pick the best weight I can starting out.  It seems to me that since the 7.62 is a heavier round than the 5.56 and will push back harder, a larger mass would be needed in the buffer.  What are your thoughts and opinions?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used my 762X39 upper on several different lowers, some with carbine buffers, and some with rifle buffers. I don't know the weights of the buffers, I just used whatever came in the kit or factory rifle.  Never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Standard carbine buffer worked fine in my mid-length Armalite and carbine YHM x39s.  Eventually went to Spikes ST-T2 buffers in both because I had a couple of them doing nothing in a box and felt the need to put them to use.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the stock buffer unless your gun is showing signs of unlocking too early; ie: torn rims
or bolt not picking up the next round. If that is the case, you want to slow everything down with a slightly
heavier buffer. Like one of the above posters said, you could try a heavier one if you or buddy has one
sitting around.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrel length and gas system length make a big difference also, so would need to know that for accurate answer?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
16" carbine
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My 16" midlength works well with H & H2. Never tried anything else.

Just use what you already have, and buy a different weight if you need to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Slash's heavy SS Tungsten buffer  with a wolff xp spring
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine has never had an issue with either the ST-T2 in one lower or the H buffer in my other lower (both standard mil-spec springs).  Have also used it with my friend's A2 stocked rifle-buffer lower with not issues.  My upper is a 16" midlength from ARP though.  May not be the same for carbine gas.  I haven't tried it with any standard carbine buffers but it definitely runs great with the heavier ones.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
16" carbine
I would use a H2 then.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using an H2 and standard carbine spring with a midlength gas tube. Seems to hit the end of the buffer tube pretty hard (recoil :). 100% function though with ASC mags. Just ordered a Wolff XP spring as an experiment. Gas rings were wore completely out at 250-300 rds like they were not even there. Replaced with 1 piece mcfarlands. Ready to go again.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffer has a nice wear ring all the way around the edge from the back of the bolt. Another reason for the Wolff XP spring experiment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you tell if you need a different buffer?

Ive got two of the x39 rifls-one a 16 inch mid length and the other a 16 inch carbine.
Both use what I expect are standard springs and carbine buffers.

what does a heavier buffer/spring do? When are they necessary?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top