Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2003 7:39:34 AM EDT
I just bought my first AR-15 () which is a Rock River Arms M4gery with the 16" barrel and heard that I can just remove the upper and put on any post-ban upper (like a 20") and have it work right away - like a 5 second swap.  My question is, I have seen the AR-15 7.62x39 uppers - can I swap these in the same manner?  If so, what do I need to make sure they have (I assume a bolt/etc. made for the 7.62x39 round)?  I also assume they take different mags.  Are the mags hard to find?  Do they require any special adapters for the magwell, or are they the same size as normal AR-15 mags?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 Sales has 7.62x39 uppers in stock and ready to ship.  They are selling them (complete with bolt/carrier) for about what the dealer cost is from OLY or RRA.  I ordered a flat top 16" and had it in my hands in 3 days.  Great service and product.

There are no adapters or mods needed to pin on a 762 upper to a standard lower.  As for the mags, you can use standard AR mags with no problem.  Because of the dimensions of the 762 round, you can only load 7-9 rounds.  There are some "Franken Mags" out there if you can find them.  This is an AK mag with an AR mag upper 1/3 welded on.  Very strange looking and I have never tried them.  The last alternative is to get one of the new SW lowers that accept unmodified AK mags and drums.  I just finished mine and it runs great.  Here is a pic.........

[img]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47drum.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47waffle.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Model 1 Sales has 7.62x39 uppers in stock and ready to ship.  They are selling them (complete with bolt/carrier) for about what the dealer cost is from OLY or RRA.  I ordered a flat top 16" and had it in my hands in 3 days.  Great service and product.

There are no adapters or mods needed to pin on a 762 upper to a standard lower.  As for the mags, you can use standard AR mags with no problem.  Because of the dimensions of the 762 round, you can only load 7-9 rounds.  There are some "Franken Mags" out there if you can find them.  This is an AK mag with an AR mag upper 1/3 welded on.  Very strange looking and I have never tried them.  The last alternative is to get one of the new SW lowers that accept unmodified AK mags and drums.  I just finished mine and it runs great.  Here is a pic.........

[url]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47drum.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.crinamex.com/ar47waffle.jpg[/url]

View Quote

I have a 7.62x39 Colt or 2.

USA frankenmags feed flawlessly, no matter the capacity.  Had to comform a couple of the mags to fit the magwells...  Bend, twist, squash..

The 7.62 USA frankenmags work in [red]all[/red] my lowers.

I have a couple of other frankenmags that do not like bump firing.  Maybe I just fuxxored them up with my hammer.  WECSOG!!!!

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
ONE QUESTION:  WHY???

You can get a REAL AK for $330.00 that works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ONE QUESTION:  WHY???

You can get a REAL AK for $330.00 that works flawlessly.
View Quote

I guess this means you shoot a $500 OLY plinker?  No sense wasting all that hard earned cash on one of those overpriced Bushmasters.

I built my AR47 for only one reason, I wanted to.  I thought it would be a nice addition to my 223's and 9mm and I did not want to go the "only load 7 round" or "Frankenmag" route.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top