Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 10:57:59 AM EDT
Im looking to get another upper for one of my AR'S. Can you guys tell me what you think of either one of these upper's? (7.62x39 or beowulf 50).Other than the price of the ammo. What are the pro's and cons of either one? Thanks for your time.....Bee
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im looking to get another upper for one of my AR'S. Can you guys tell me what you think of either one of these upper's? (7.62x39 or beowulf 50).Other than the price of the ammo. What are the pro's and cons of either one? Thanks for your time.....Bee
View Quote

I have no experence with either one of those conversions. But in my opinion, if you want to shoot 7.62x39, go with an AK...It will be ALOT cheapert than a conversion, you'll be able to get cheaper mags, and it'll be more reliable.
So given the two options I would definately go with the Beowulf.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I am dieing to buy a .50 caliber upper but from what ive heard the kick is like that of a slug from a shotgun. The coast guard uses them because of the godly stobage power. The bullets are  expensive and they leave a nice sized whole in the target. Ive heard there bad due to the inconvience price and comfort and the effective range of the bullet compared to a rifle round but i am still gonna buy 1 after my next progect.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The .50 Beowulf is FUN!  You get to punch 1/2 inch holes in stuff, what can be more fun than that?  It draws a crowd at the range too... after the 1st shot!  Expensive to shoot, reloading is a must.

You can easily hunt with a .50 Beo.  It would make an excellent brush gun with open sights (or maybe an aimpoint) for deer.  Sadly, I don't own one yet but I have shot one numerous times.  The only drawback to the Beo is the recoil... not a big deal if you've shot larger caliber bolt rifles or 12 gauge shotguns.  It kicks more than my FAL, less than heavy 12 gauge loads.  

Scot  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
.50, deffinately.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a .50 Beowulf and it rocks.  I have sent about 600 rounda down range so far and love it.

Factory ammo is a little high but the round can be reloaded for less than .33 cents per round.

I am buying in bulk and it cost me about .25 cents per round.

Recoil is not bad, get the muzzle break and it is even less.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The 7.62 definitely.  

You told us not to comment on the price of ammo but the availability of ammo for the 7.62 is better.  (Always feed it with brass ONLY-no steal-trust me) [url]http://www.vectorarms.com/other/ammo_page.htm[/url] If you load your own then get the .50 cal.  I can only speak from experience when I say that the mags are hard to find in 7.62x39. (USA Brand FrankenMags are the best) [url]http://www.gungarage.com/ar15.htm[/url]
The advantage is for hunting for large game like White tail deer, its an adequate hunting caliber.
* Its up to you but ask yourself the same question I ask people.  If you want a higher caliber for your AR-15 then buy an AR-10.  You will later anyway.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Ballistically, that .50 Beowulf will whoop up on game, humans, etc including inland black bear, deer, ghetto thugs, drug dealers, etc......[:D]

7.62x39 is OK ballistically, but there is much to be said about a couple tons of energy and 300gr projectiles. [:D]

I'll stick with my 458 SOCOM from [url=www.teppojutsu.com]TeppoJutsu[/url], but the 50 Beowulf is nice too.

There is also the 499LW which is available from whoever is a dealer for L-W.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no experence with either one of those conversions. But in my opinion, if you want to shoot 7.62x39, go with an AK...It will be ALOT cheapert than a conversion, you'll be able to get cheaper mags, and it'll be more reliable.
So given the two options I would definately go with the Beowulf.
View Quote

I agree completely.  If you want 7.62, just get an ak for $325.  You'll have a whole new weapon too.

.50 sure sounds like a lot of fun, and is what I would want in an alternate caliber upper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys thanks for all of the advice. Maybe I should have worded the question alittle better. I have all of the weapons that you have suggested. (AR10,AK,SKS,AR15).[url]www.bwscpu.com/carbines.htm[/url]   I just picked up another ar15 this week and this will be my next project.I just trying to decide wich upper would be better.7.62 or the 50 cal. I am trying to find out if thier ar any known problems with either one.Thanks again..Bee
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess the question is what are you trying to do?  7.62x39 doesn't give a real advantage over .223 unless your state requires the heavier bullet for hunting.  But it's not a real powerhouse for hunting.  If you want a 7.62 get a 7.62 NATO like an AR-10.

I've heard the .50 described as "the answer to a question that nobody's asking."  It's wimpy for a .50 so if you need a large caliber you'd be better off getting one of many large cal bolt guns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't a 7.62x39 round just as powerful as a 30-30 round anyway?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
this 50 Beowulf seems to be a pritty big round,  and i would like to get a AR in one of these calabers, but i have one question, do you need a whole lower for the upper also, or are you able to use the .223 lower for this cartrage?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am dieing to buy a .50 caliber upper but from what ive heard the kick is like that of a slug from a shotgun. The coast guard uses them because of the godly stobage power. The bullets are  expensive and they leave a nice sized whole in the target. Ive heard there bad due to the inconvience price and comfort and the effective range of the bullet compared to a rifle round but i am still gonna buy 1 after my next progect.
View Quote

Holy crap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Rabbit-Slayer:  

All of these uppers work with the standard .223 lower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
so where can i find prices for this .50 cal upper?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
search for the ferret 50 cant remember site though sorry
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so where can i find prices for this .50 cal upper?
View Quote

Cabela's

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?]50 Beowulf[/url]

Impact Guns

[url=http://www.impactguns.com/store/alexander_arms.html#1500]50 Beowulf[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
speaking of the ferret, hows about that 50BMG semi-auto upper?? [naughty]   the one that feeds the mag from the side..   who made that piece? i want it!

you should add one to your collection..  hell, we all should have one!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
i WANT TO ADD THAT THE .50 UPPER TAKES MODIFIED 30 OR 20 AR MAGS IF YOU HANGE THE FEEDER I BELIVE THIER GOOD 2 GO THE BEAUTY OF THIS IS THAT YOU CAN GET 5 ROUNDS IN A 20 AND 7 IN A THIRTY AND SINCE THIER NOT HIGH CAPS THIER NOT SUBJECT TO BAN LAWS AND THE CAN BE MANUFATURED IN MASS QUANITY
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
speaking of the ferret, hows about that 50BMG semi-auto upper?? [naughty]   the one that feeds the mag from the side..   who made that piece? i want it!

you should add one to your collection..  hell, we all should have one!
View Quote

[url]http://www.ultramag50.com/index.html[/url]

I want one too! mucho $$$

Edited to add: Wait you're talking about semi-auto...this is something different, an AR conversion acctually.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the 50 Beowulf and love it. It is perhaps the best New England Brush gun I have ever owned. I am hoping that my budget will support building a AR in 7.62x39 purely for the "what f**k is that" factor I would like to use the AR47 reciever
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top