Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2003 4:07:24 PM EDT
Does anyone have a Model 1 Sales 7.62X39 Upper, If so how do you like it? Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

I'm curious too.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  Love it.  I use it for deer hunting in Wisconsin.  I had a few bumps in the road but everything is just right.  Please use American Ammo only.  If you shoot ALOT of rounds you can use Cheetah 7.62x39 because its brass and somewhat clean. (vectorarms.com).

All in all, I'm glad I bought it and the Model 1 guys are great.  If you have anymore questions ... fire away.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello, What kind of problems did you have? Does it mate up to your lower allright, Is it real loud out of the 16" Barrel?

Thank you
                   Mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please use American Ammo only.  
View Quote

Why?  Have you had specific experience with steel cased ammo?

If problems with steel cased, what exactly were the problems?

Also, what was your setup/mags/lower/upper etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a model 1 upper that funcions just fine as long as I use brass case ammo. It will not function with steel case ammo, cases stick in the chamber. Model 1 advises against using steel cases in their 7.62 upper. There are sources fo brass though. There is still surplus brass 7.62 around, as well as cheetah
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The upper fit perfectly to the Eagle Arms lower.  The Wolf ammo has (had) a fingernail polish type sealant that seized up my bolt carrier.  I broke 2 extractors with that ammo.  Now I use Cheetah with no problems.

As far as the noise, I can't tell the difference because the 7.62x39 is a bit louder and gives that distinctive "kat kat kat" sound like any AK.  The 16" and the 20" would sound the same. (IMHO)
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh,

One more thing.  Mags are hard to find.  I have a list of the places that have the best one.  Its a FrankenMag by USA Magazine Co. (preban and running low)

[url]http://www.gungarage.com/ar15.htm[/url]

The Triple K mag I bought didn't even fit the well so I stay away from them.  I bought several 10 round plastic mags from .. (DMW??) out of florida.  They work good but 10 rounds is only 10 rounds.  If you want to load 7.62x39 in your 223 mags, just load 5 or 8 and you will be fine.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually just bought the Ar-47 lower for my registered drop-in.

[img]http://www.ar47.com/images/lower_cu.jpg[/img]

Solves the mag problem.  I just want to solve ammo problems now before I start buying several cases.

[url]www.ar47.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Wolf ammo has (had) a fingernail polish type sealant that seized up my bolt carrier.  I broke 2 extractors with that ammo.
View Quote

After how many rounds?  Model 1 bolt carrier group?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.ar47.com/images/lower_cu.jpg[/url]

Solves the mag problem.  I just want to solve ammo problems now before I start buying several cases.

[url]www.ar47.com[/url]
View Quote

S/N 85.....those things must be selling like cold cakes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
ConLima ,
Any problems with SP ammo? I had a Colt 7.62 upper once and you could't even chamber a round.
Vit
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://www.ar47.com/images/lower_cu.jpg[/url]

[url]www.ar47.com[/url]
View Quote

S/N 85.....those things must be selling like cold cakes.
View Quote

Stole the pic from his website.

I bet most of the market is for stamp collectors.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Wolf ammo has (had) a fingernail polish type sealant that seized up my bolt carrier.  I broke 2 extractors with that ammo.
View Quote

After how many rounds?  Model 1 bolt carrier group?
View Quote

60 or less rounds of wolf wiped out the first Model 1 bolt carrier goup extractor.  After that, I tried several other rounds (copper sks) and lost another extractor.
[coffee]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ConLima ,
Any problems with SP ammo? I had a Colt 7.62 upper once and you could't even chamber a round.
Vit
View Quote

Hmmhhff...  For white tail deer,  I use the Winchester CXP2 soft point 7.62x39 in the FrankenMag with zero problems.  I must admit that I have chambered only 40 rounds in the last year... But I can't see why 400 would be any different.  Was your problem with the mag or the round?
[coffee]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I actually just bought the Ar-47 lower for my registered drop-in.  Solves the mag problem.  I just want to solve ammo problems now before I start buying several cases.
View Quote

Yes but this eliminates the advantage of switching uppers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes but this eliminates the advantage of switching uppers.
View Quote

The cost and reliability of mags were the major concern in my case.  This will be a dedicated platform.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Not sure what was the cause of the problem, got rid of it quick.The rounds would hit the piece between the two feed ramps. I got it for deer hunting and tried the mag that came with the upper and the 20 rounders. I would only need 5-7 rounds , as I would like to use it for deer hunting - something special about using nonPC gun.
Vit
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not sure what was the cause of the problem, got rid of it quick.The rounds would hit the piece between the two feed ramps. I got it for deer hunting and tried the mag that came with the upper and the 20 rounders. I would only need 5-7 rounds , as I would like to use it for deer hunting - something special about using nonPC gun.
Vit
View Quote

hmmff.  All the 7.62x39 uppers that I know don't come with mags at all.  Who made it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It was a Colt carbine flat top . That was a good 10 yers or so ago. Actually , if memory serves me ridgt it was a 20 rounder with a block in it.
Vit
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top