Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2009 3:47:54 PM EDT
Good afternoon,

Perhaps someone can lend a hand in my function problem with my 7.5" SBR. First here are some basic specs so you know where I am coming from.

Factory 7.5" Upper from DLask.
Armalite AR15 bolt carrier group
Standard Carbine buffer and spring.

Here is what it is doing:

Every 20 shots or so a round is fed into the chamber but the bolt doesn't completely lock into battery /enguage the lug. The charging handle gets stuck, the only cure is several hard hits on the forward assist. It can be a first round in the mag, last round, or one in the middle.

Buffer issue?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
well I will try to give some more details. When the failure occures the hammer drops and no bang. When I check the side of the ejection port I can see that the BCG is about 1/4" out of battery. As you stated the charging handle won't pull back, unless I use a Large amount of force. If I hit the forward assist hard enough it will go forward, but would require re-cocking the hammer to fire, as it is currently resting on the fireing pin post-malfunction.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks. I will report when I do some more function tests as advised.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
BCG / charging handle movement check results:

On the way forwards its travel is smooth until about 70% forward where it feels like it binds, like going over a slight hump, then it slides into battery. It doesn't feel like this binding is occuring with the buffer / spring. It feels like it is with the bolt carrier / lower.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm having the same issues with my 7.5 sbr noveske, talked to them directly, they told me that the weight of the carrier group i was using (Young's NM light SS group) was not heavy enough, also that i should be using a Heavy buffer, H2 or higher, this will enable for complete engagement, the problem is that the lack of weight was not helping in the cleaning of the chamber, which was causing too much carbine build up and was not allowing the bolt to engage into full battery, i purchased a spikes Heavy buffer i believe 4.6 oz, and i am using my a Young's SS m16 group, havent shot it yet, but if it works i'll post you my results, i watched there 300 round dump no problems on there site, so if they are using this setup then it should work, RICH
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
update: shot 90 rds of remmy umc cheap, 3lb timmney trigger and pulled it as fast as i could through each cycle and no problems, H2 buffer and heavy carrier group fixed my problem, good luck with yours
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
nevermind
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top