Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 2:49:56 PM EDT
I have been researching ammo fo my entry gun (10.25 barrel) Most suggest the 75grain offerings from Hornady or  Black Hills. I spoke with a dealer today who related that yes, the heavier grain bullets are the best choice from a ballistic standpoint, but they will not feed properly from the magazine in AR/M16 style weapons due t the longer bullets hanging-up inside of the magazine.
He said he had it in stock but wouldnt recommend it, he definately wasnt pushing any other ammo on me. Just seemed to be relating info based on his experience. Anyone else out there had this problem with the heavier grain ammo in their AR's???
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Go buy the 75 gr ammunition and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
nickdrak,
I'd have to agree 100% about just going out and shooting. I answered this for you over at the WT forumheRegards,
Section1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That stuff aint cheap man!!! I have Win. white-box for goin' out and shootin'.

Im gonna call Black Hills tomorrow and see what they suggest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Its not an issue I don't know what your dealer was smoking.

Black Hills 75gr is very economical and it feeds just fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh Gawd... How many times have we all heard such drivel from dealers?

Just goes to show that dealers are usually merchants/salesmen who do not actually use their products the way a lot of us do.  Car salesmen are not usually mechanics, either.  Notable exceptions of course being some of the "Industry" folks who hang around here (bless 'em all).  

Most, if not all, factory .223 ammo is loaded so that it'll fit into an AR mag.  I use and LOVE that Black Hills blue-box 75gr and 77gr stuff.  Both work just fine.

AShooter
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I use 77 gr SMK and it feeds just fine from my mags.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
To give the guy the benefit of the doubt (Don't ask me why I'm trying to defend him).  MAYBE he or someone tried them in the thick Orlite or  possibly thermold plastic mags.  The Orlite mags have thicker walls and cannot handle the same OALs as the good metal USGI mags.

I can't remember the OAL, but I've had the same problems with my crappy Orlite mags using 68gr (I believe with lengths around 2.25-2.3).

Other than that the guy is a cracker.

Edited to make sure it's clear that I haven't tried the thermold mags with longer bullets.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
He's on crack.

I've fired many thousands of the BH 75 and 77gr loadings from my various AR15's.

The heavier 80gr+ bullets used in High-Power must be single-loaded.   I believe the 75gr AMAX must be single loaded.

-z
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Hornady 75gr TAP and BH 75gr both fit and function well in ALL mags, including Thermold.

I cannot speak to Orlites - don't own any.

Sounds like your dealer was talking through his hat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hornady 75gr TAP and BH 75gr both fit and function well in ALL mags, including Thermold.

Gaijin is correct once again.  I've used BH 75gr from Thermolds and it feeds fine.

You are being kind, I was thinking of a place a little further south.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are being kind, I was thinking of a place a little further south.

His Argentina?

South Pole Fissure?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, Thanks for the info. Im gonna get the 75gr. TAP.

The dealer I spoke with seemed sincere, and recommended the same ammo in a lighter grain, (same price) so I dont think he was trying to just sell, sell, sell.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of curiousity, what is the OAL of the various 77, 75 gr commercial loadings??
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Natchez got in a new resupply of Hornady 75 grain TAP.  Today, I received my shipment from them.  $10.61 per 20 round box.  Shipping was $6.98 for 6 boxes.
www.natchezss.com
800-251-7839
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Natchez got in  new resupply of Hornady 75 grain TAP.  Today, I received my shipment from them.  $10.61 per 20 round box.  Shipping was $6.98 for 6 boxes.

Thanks for the info! Do they have a website?

Nevermind I found their site, I ordered 250rds. Thanks again guys.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top