Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
I finished two transitional builds last weekend.  Sure, they are both on A2 lowers (for the time being) but I wanted to have them for the 4th.  
The first is my late 723, Build list:
Used Bushmaster A1/C7 upper receiver - off the EE with Bushmaster Teardrop FA-- Brownells sale item
New Bushmaster M4 barrel, A2 flash hider, and crush washer (because that is what I had) - Copes sale item.
New Bushmaster Semi-BCG (off the EE)
Matrix Aerospace Lower with ARFCOM parts kit -- actually picked up the parts kit at Canton this month
Bushmaster CAR stock with 2-position receiver extension and retro nut and 6-hole handguards- off the EE
A1 handgrip--off the EE;  because the finger bump just doesn't work for me

The second is my (sort of) XM177.  I guess this is more retro inspired than true retro because so few of the parts are correct.  
Used PM forge A1 upper receiver (complete) -- off the EE
New DPMS "Commando" barrel-- on sale from Brownells (this is their 11.5" CL with pinned and welded 5.5" flash hider); I still need to remove the bayonet lug
New DSA M-16 BCG
Matrix Aerospace Lower with PTAC parts kit -- FCG is actually pretty nice
Used Bushmaster aluminum CAR stock and 4-position receiver extension with retro nut and 6-hole handguards -- off the EE
A1 handgrip -- off the EE

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Both look pretty good. I would point out that the pistol grip on the 723 was an A2 and the forward assist was the round head type. I recently changed the forward assist on both of my 723s to make them more correct. They now have the large round head forward assists. I cannot wait to see them after you get the A1 lowers for them. Some of the 723s did use an A2 upper as well. I chose to use the A1 on my two 723s.

This is my transitional (late model) 723.

This is my XM177E2

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I substituted an A2 handgrip (but with the finger bump removed); the finger bump just doesn't work for me. I'm calling it a field expedient repair.  A round head FA is in my future but I will have to shave it for A2 use.  I will replace the A2 lower receiver on the XM177 when I can get one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The late-production, large round head forward assist had a clearance notch, to work with the A2 receiver's reinforcements.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The late-production, large round head forward assist had a clearance notch, to work with the A2 receiver's reinforcements.
View Quote

That is the type I am looking for.  I am hoping to find one that has already been relieved.  I hate to grind on original parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top