Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 3:27:11 PM EDT

I understand, from talking with a vendor at the last fun show, that the 6x45mm cartridge allows the use of a standard 5.56 bolt and magazine. With only a barrel change, it seems to be a low cost conversion. At this point, though, I haven't been able to find any ballistics data that would show it to be better than the 5.56 I have been using. I'm looking for a low cost means to increase knockdown power at 100 to 300 yards. (Using my current stash of 5.56 brass is a plus also.)
I have had issues stopping hogs. I know that shot placement is key, but yesterday I hit a 125 (approximately) LB hog 4 times (2 center of mass, 1 top of neck, on in the skin of the ear) before he dropped. My hunting patner had to finish him with a 45 ACP to the head. Is the 6x45mm worth the effort, or should I just go with the 6.8 SPC?

Thanks for the feedback,

sled
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you'll be reloading, your lowest cost conversion is a better bullet in .223.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Since you'll be reloading, your lowest cost conversion is a better bullet in .223.  

Yep.

There is a whole big world in different calibers out there.

If you really wanted 6x45, you could build a complete upper receiver for around $500 and swap one upper for the other if you want to change calibers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I understand, from talking with a vendor at the last fun show, that the 6x45mm cartridge allows the use of a standard 5.56 bolt and magazine. With only a barrel change, it seems to be a low cost conversion. At this point, though, I haven't been able to find any ballistics data that would show it to be better than the 5.56 I have been using. I'm looking for a low cost means to increase knockdown power at 100 to 300 yards. (Using my current stash of 5.56 brass is a plus also.)
I have had issues stopping hogs. I know that shot placement is key, but yesterday I hit a 125 (approximately) LB hog 4 times (2 center of mass, 1 top of neck, on in the skin of the ear) before he dropped. My hunting patner had to finish him with a 45 ACP to the head. Is the 6x45mm worth the effort, or should I just go with the 6.8 SPC?

Thanks for the feedback,

sled

Sled,

You never said what 5.56 rounds your using for hog hunting and what barrel length & twist your Bbl is?

This as you know makes a lot of difference in the effects they will provide on a hard to knock down hog after being spooked.

Maybe there is still some 5.56 round that will work better for you ?

Even a 308 or 45/70 does not drop them the first time every time.

Best,

yls
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I was running Wolf 75grn HP out of a 16" barrel. I may be expecting too much out of the 5.56 in an "on the run situation".
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Try a Nosler partition or a Barnes TSX .  Wolf's bullets aren't up to heavy critters.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The 6mm was fine in its time 20 plus years ago, before good heavy bullets for the 223 made it to the scene.  Anything above 55 grains was considered heavy, except for those really blunt 70 grain speers.

From what I understand, the 64 gr Winchester bullets are pretty good hunting bullets.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Wolf does not have a good reputation when it comes to there bullet designs way to heavy in skin of the bullet, and lower velocity then most to boot for the same weight,

So your getting less all the way around not good combo period.

You must have a 1-7/8 twist rate for that heavy of rounds there is way better stuff out there that you may want to try, and if you reload it may work out even better for you cost wise.

On another note it sounds like some people are using an old design just to make some fast money, it's like everybody is trying to jump on what's the newest bandwagon for the AR these days.

Happy hunting,

yls

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
6x45mm build was your thread title straight from the get-go, so you probably have thought more on it than other calibers.  Go for it and let's see your build, progress, and future kills!!  5.56 brass use is a plus.  Good luck.

Edit:  what was the distance of the hog you shot?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, the NATO brass can handle more pressure so that's probably the way to go if you're set on 6x45.  I just don't see much of an advantage.  I think if you stick with the Winchester 64gr SP, you'll have much better luck.  See the picture of the deer on the box. ;) Well, don't believe it but for hog they're great.

Or load these up and aim for the shoulder.  They'll bust both sides and mister piggy won't be going anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The distance started at about 40 yards and ended around 70. I heard two distinct “slaps” (1st and 3rd shot. The 3rd shot did slow him down noticeably). Shot 2 must have been in the ear, because the last one, the one I think immobilized him, was a graze on the back of the neck between the shoulders and the base of the skull. The whole engagement lasted 5 to 7 seconds. I should have taken pictures showing the wounds.

I should mention that had another encounter hog the following morning. At about 225 yards, it was a very long shot for my setup (4x scope). I didn't think I had hit him, but after some looking I found the little turd (about a 30 LB piglet) stumbling around. I had gut shot him. I was surprised, and disappointed, that he wasn't incapacitated. A shot behind the shoulders at 20 yards worked as expected though.

Again, I think I am expecting too much given my poor shot placement. Given the right circumstance, I would be able to place shots properly and surely receive better results. Unfortunately, 90% of my opportunities take place quick and in a hurry with no chance to find a nice rest, exhale and squeeze. My thought is that with more energy, these engagements would end with better results, even with suboptimal shot placement.

I think I will give the 6x45mm a try. The vendor at the fun show was willing to part with a new barrel for $100. It seems worth the risk. That is, if I can find reloading equipment and some ballistics data to confirm my thoughts.

On a related note, I ran accross this thread on the 7.62x40 cartridge. looks interesting...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=382761

thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice. I'll load some of the barnes and let you know. It may be a while for test results though. I only get out to the farm every couple of months. What powder/charge do you like?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I like 24.9gr of Varget, Winchester Brass, Wolf primer, but that's a pretty hot load in my chamber.   You might want to start at 23.5 and work your way up.  

www.barnesbullets.com/images/223RemingtonWeb.pdf
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top