Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
What do you guys think about the longevity of 6.8? Will we be seeing it in brand new Winchester boxes at Wal-Mart, or remanufactured/old in little zip-lock baggies at some pawn shop?

ETA: It seems like it might be here to stay seeing as how so many top-end manufactuers are building rifles/mags for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Here to stay. It won't eclipse .223, but in the civilian world it doesnt take too much for a cartridge to be kept around.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The following grows.  Shoot one and you'll understand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree I just built one for deer season and they shoot great same recoil more bang!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here to stay. It won't eclipse .223, but in the civilian world it doesnt take too much for a cartridge to be kept around.

+1

It's already more readily available and affordable than many "non-standard" (say, somewhere between "common" and "wildcat") rifle cartridges that have been around much, much longer with a small but dedicated following.

As for me, I'll be selling my 6.8 upper and all accoutrements... I recently got my first .308 AR and see no need for the 6.8 any longer FOR ME.

What kind of 6.8 upper do you have?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think of it as the 10mm.  
It will always be around, ammo will never be cheap or easy to find, and it will have a strong cult like following.

Does this mean you aren't getting one?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What do you guys think about the longevity of 6.8? Will we be seeing it in brand new Winchester boxes at Wal-Mart, or remanufactured/old in little zip-lock baggies at some pawn shop?

ETA: It seems like it might be here to stay seeing as how so many top-end manufactuers are building rifles/mags for it.

Novelty cartridge...

Destined for the fate of .41 Magnum at worst...

At best, it will be yet another semi-obscure round, like 8mm Mauser was in the US prior to the flood of surplus rifles...

It will NOT be adopted in quantity by the military or police... 5.56 is here to stay in those areas....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t think anybody really knows for sure if it’s sticking around or not, but I really like the size of the round. I’ve owned a .223 (Mini 14) and a 30.06 (Remington 742). I felt one was a little small and the other too large for my needs. The 6.8 fell between the .223 and .308 in the AR class. I’m personally glad I chose it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It will always be around, ammo will never be cheap or easy to find, and it will have a strong cult like following.

Does this mean you aren't getting one?

For me, there are only 2 rifle, and 2 pistol calibers worth owning.  If the need be to ever "use" a weapon, I'm more than confident in my ability/training that caliber will not be a limiting factor in my effectiveness.

Let me guess, 7.62x51 and 5.56 for rifles and 9mm and .45 ACP for pistols...I've bsaically came to conclusion some time ago but a little variety is still nice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got one and I love it.  Knocks the crap out of deer!!  Finding ammo is not a problem but paying for it isI'm sticking with my 6.8 and have already sold all my 5.56 parts.  I doubt it will get used by regular army units in large numbers but some of the high speed units use it and others probably will eventually.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
6.8 has as large a place in LE as it does in the mil, because in LE it could replace both of the other rounds.

That would be logistically superior.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
6.8 has as large a place in LE as it does in the mil, because in LE it could replace both of the other rounds.

That would be logistically superior.

I disagree.  The 5.56/.223 is about ideal for general LE use, since it is so great in the area of limited overpenetration thru bad guys combined with great penetration on most soft body armor.  It's easy to shoot well, hence, easy to train officers with.  Ammo is comparatively dirt cheap.  It works well in humans (contary to internet rumors) especially with soft point ammo.

The .308 is just too established as 'the' sniper cartridge, athough there are very serious and valid concerns about over-penetration with the typical 168gr match ammo.  Some ammo has addressed this, but is expensive.

I don't see the 6.8 ever replacing either in the LE community on a large scale.  At best, the 6.8 might be a better sniper cartridge for the typical LE sniper engagement (51 yards) to limit penetration.  It's not being marketed that way, though.  And then the subject of intermediate barrier penetration comes up, and you're back to the .308.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I liken it to the 40 S&W.  Just like the 40 fit in a 9mm frame, the 6.8 fits in the 5.56 "frame"

The Grenadel is more  like the 10mm

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top