Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:42:37 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a 6.8 upper for my ar build, I've had the 5.56 and loved it.
And what's the cheapest I can get the ammo for? I wouldn't mind paying 15 dollars a box, or am I being optimistic?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am thinking of buying a 6.8 upper for my ar build, I've had the 5.56 and loved it.

And what's the cheapest I can get the ammo for? I wouldn't mind paying 15 dollars a box, or am I being optimistic?

The 6.8 is a fine round.

$15 a box of 20? If you buy your ammo by the case, $16-$17 a box is the cheaper I've seen it, but I reload.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
That's not bad, I won't be shooting everyweekend, so I can just stock up on ammolittle by little once I get it.  I would like to have it as my boar hunting rifle as well as a tactical rifle, I am not too sure about the 5.56 round.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
on 68forums, there is a vendor selling at around $15/20 and getting good reviews.....prices coming down no doubt.  hornady is now selling custom ammo that once sold for 26 at 18!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW!! yea i wanna get me one o these, and those ammo prices arent too bad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Those ammo prices are just the same as any other commercial hunting ammo. That's the funny part about comparing military to commercial - it's ALWAYS cheaper, they make millions of rounds a month more. Commercial ammo is going to be all the same price range, $16 to $30  a box bought one at a time off the shelf.

Since any other non-military caliber isn't available as surplus, overruns, or rejects, there's not a constant stream of it being dumped on the market to keep the warehouse space available for Government contract approved milspec ammo.

That leaves either reloading as an option to reduce cost, or theft. I recommend reloading.

For $250, less than the cost of a good optic, you can reload ammo and save 40% every round made. $10 a box ammo for stuff that should be tailored to work as a premium best accuracy and highest power load - unlike import fodder, which is low powered and not legal to use on game animals in many jurisdictions. Not having that junk on the 6.8 market is really a good thing. Let the 5.56 shooters hassle with constant malfunctions and low accuracy, much less power below standards.

The real question reloading at the $250 range of equipment is what color you prefer, honestly, most of it is equally accurate and useful. A turret press might be preferred, it allows some "progressive" loading in work routine. Lee crimping dies are also well known, and once experience is gained, you can decide whether you want to. Almost all self loading action factory ammo will be.

I'm predicting 3,100 fps will be normal from 6.8 once Superperformance powder is available, from a SPCII 16" barrel. Some already routinely post that's possible and chronographed - and more.

Good time to get into it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Reloading, handloading is the way to go with 6.8! It would be great if brass was cheaper and more available. Handloading lets you tailor the load you want as well. I recently got a 6.8 spc rifle and just this morning loaded the first box of ammo, 110 gr honady HPBTs. Not planning any plinking with is rifle!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
6.8 is a great round ! I am builing my own 6.8 upper so I can add the parts I want. I will also be handloading my own just to save on the ammo cost.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Be carefull when shooting the 6.8, your 5.56 guns will slowly disappear.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol, I hear ya!! But the problem is now that I don't know how to reload ammo. And I don't have space in my house for that stuff. I am also looking into piston AR's as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol, I hear ya!! But the problem is now that I don't know how to reload ammo. And I don't have space in my house for that stuff. I am also looking into piston AR's as well.

Pistons are tacticool stuff, not worth the hype imo. If you decide to go with 6.8, get a good bbl with the right specs and a mid length gas port, you will be ready.

Gunny on 68Forums sells really good ammo for $15.20/20, you won't find a better deal unless you reload.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?21712-New-6.8-ammunition-4-sale-!!!-Great-pricing
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
A piston just moves disables  the working one in the carrier,  and adds one out on the barrel. Every vendor selling that kit for $400 will tell you it's absolutely wonderful. None of them use the same parts, and after 45 years of the DI system running just fine, only the last two years has there been any significant piston marketing.

Only surplus ammo can be had really cheap, aside from reloading, which means you can only get military calibers. Mostly NATO and Warsaw pact. The point about 6.8 is that it delivers 40% more power at all the effective ranges of 5.56, using the same gun. Changing calibers to get similar results means being forced to use .308, which in hunting loads is the same ammo cost, with a much bigger gun and recoil.. Those AR10s don't come cheap.

There's no getting  around surplus as the cheapest alternative - it's great dirt blasting ammo, and paper doesn't care. For use on live game, it's not allowed much anyway - FMJ is illegal lots of places, and not the optimum bullet anyway. You get better terminal results from hunting loads - which aren't surplus despite the caliber.

6.8 is a live target round, if dirt or paper is the target, best to just stick with cheap surplus and not get too wrapped into range performance. You can't see any difference in a silhouette target.

If it's for plinking and range blasting, there's no advantage to 6.8. I'm making that a point because some shooters wouldn't do the obvious math and then posted in forums 6.8 was evil and bad because it's not cheap. Gotta wonder what the heck they were thinking.

So, if thousands of rounds down range are the goal, stick with surplus military issue, or reload. Don't for a minute think an alternate caliber will be economical, it's not.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top