Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 6:45:11 PM EDT
i just bought a 6.8 dpms M4 in 1/10 twist. I was wondering if anbody on here had one, and if they liked it. I was also wondering if anyone that had one reloaded for it, and what they were loading. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2009 9:19:16 PM EDT by puskrat]
You have violated the Rat's rule: You have asked for an opinion AFTER a purchase. For this, all your magazines will fail.

Now, as far as the other questions go, I know one other 68er. He loves his gun (DPMS). It's the only faux 7.62 I've shot, and I was surprised at not only the force, but the "flavor" of the recoil. Kind of like the way a 45 feels lighter than a 9mm because it "pushes" instead of "snaps".

He has someone reloading for it for him. I don't know what he's loading, but I'll try to remember to get that information when I see him this week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:01:19 AM EDT
yay i get to drop the http://www.68forums.com/ URL this time. =]
Tons of load data and information about the cartridge and rifles chambered for it here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2009 9:30:19 PM EDT by hi-tech-rancher]
Use exceptional caution when reloading for a DPMS 6.8. DPMS has never adopted the SPC II or, even better DMR chamber. Theirs is even tighter than the SAAMI spec, and as such, will spike pressure with even moderate loads. We tested their chamber with a Pressure Trace system in August 2008 during our last 6.8 SPC performance test at Wild River Ranch. It produced pressures of up to 8.000 PSI greater than DMR chambers in match grade barrels, using the same loads.

SSA uses the SAAMI chamber as the minimum safe allowable chamber to test its loads, because if you are going to over-pressure a 6.8 gun, it will likely be a DPMS.

If I were you, I would most definitely send that barrel to AR Performance or GTS to have the chamber improved to SPC II or DMR. The next step would be to write DPMS and tell them that they need to finally get on the bandwagon with every other MFG. and finally build their guns with the right chamber. Step three: come on over to 68 Forums. You will learn much there.

ETA: never fire SSA " Tactical" or "combat" loads in this rifle, unless you change over to the SPC II OR DMR chamber.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:30:34 PM EDT
Do you have contact info for GTS or AR Performance?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:12:10 PM EDT
Yeah I found out my 6.8 guy has gave his reloader the 68forums address to get the loads. he is unaware what they are, other than they are milder, low power loads.
Top Top