Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:05:59 PM EST
Has anyone come up with a sub sonic load for the 6.8 SPC ? It sure would be nice to use my can on my 6.8 SPR.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:37:42 AM EST
I haven't tried it, but it should be easier than doing so in 5.56 or 308; 6.8 is more "underbore" than either and case capacity is small.

-z
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:24:58 PM EST
Z

Any load ideas for this you could email me?

I agree it should be much easier than 5.56. That little sucker is loud errr fast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:31:07 PM EST
Nope. What I meant was that if somebody had already developed subsonic loads for 308 or 223, then it would be pretty easy for that person to develop some for 6.8. If you don't know how/where to start, a lot more research is in order before attempting it.

-z
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:50:37 PM EST
yup, I was hoping you had a head start on that

My dealer may, he is a commercial reloader and many years under his belt. If I ever come across a load I'll share with you. After I shoot it of course.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:02:25 PM EST
Yeah, after hearing all about using filler, light loats of fast powder, I'm not real keen on testing it in any of my uppers, even by remote control.

-z
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:55:06 AM EST
I have never done any testing of subsonic loads with jacketed bullets. I am currently using 3 grains of Bullseye behind a .313 dia 100 grain cast flat point bullet or a .314 90 grain swaged semi wadcutter made by Hornady. I shoot these in my Mosin-Nagant 91/30. They come out at about 1000 fps, the 100 grain a little slower at 980 fps or so. Velocity spread for 5 shots is usually less than 20, sometimes around 15. I have also used VV 310 at 3 grains, but the powder position is more crictical, but when you always put in at the rear, velocity spread is equal to bullseye.

Noise level is low. Hard to compare to anything. Louder than 22 subsonic. Maybe the noise level is about equal to 22 high velocity, but it doesn't have the crack so, it isn't really comparable.

From what I have read, with 150 grain bullet in the 7.62x54R start out with 8 grains VV 310 and work down. Max load is around 15 grains with the same load. 8 grains is a good, safe starting load.

If using jacketed, I have read to use Sierra. Their jackets have a more consistent friction than almost anyone else.

I would imagine that you could definately start out at 7 grains of fast pistol powder and probably 6. Start higher and work your way down. I would not want to use jacketed bullets. Use moly if you can.

YMMV

Just what I hear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:30:03 AM EST
FYI, Still working on getting the info for this. I have just been a little busy at work. I will post when I figure it out.

Thanks for the info on the jacketed bullet being a variable in consistency.
Top Top