Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 3:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2016 1:40:23 PM EDT by Yama_Raja]
XXX Triad 22in round 2

130 gr Fusion pulls and LEVER
Ran a ladder 34gr to 34.8gr, .2 intervals (had previously worked up to 34gr)
Loads ran 2615 fps to 2698 fps
34gr was 1.1 MOA @ 2615 fps
34.2gr ran 2630 @ .6 MOA
34.4gr ran 2660 @ .6 MOA
34.6gr ran 2675 @ .6 MOA
34.8gr ran 2698 @ .4 MOA
These are just pressure work up loads. I have not even started tuning for tighter groups as of yet.
Primers normal, no swipes.
I'm going to try 35gr and 35.2gr next with this one.
These bullets just shoot well, in both my Bison 16in Recon and XXX 16in Scout and 22in Triad barrels, its a real shame they are not available except as pulls.
At sea level they are still going 1800 fps @ 934 lb-ft of energy @ 400 yards. Well within Xmans reported opening speeds.
At 5000ft where I hunt 1935 fps @ 1081 lb-ft @ 400 yards and 1768 fps @ 902 lb-ft @ 500 yards.
Putting the ability to take a deer out to a solid 450 yards.
24in drop at 400 yards and 48in at 500 so doable as long as ranged properly.
Of note a 100gr Accubond at 2900 has the same drop characteristics within an inch out to 500, with much less energy of course.
Oh and 2105 lb-ft of energy at the muzzle!

Why do I always have one flier lol, momentary loss of concentration.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:45:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 1:15:45 AM EDT by DBrown]
Wow,

Those are not numbers anticipated from an intermediate caliber. Handloaders chasing not speed but accuracy, which you have achieved, come up with numbers like this for the .270Win.

EDIT: With numbers like that I would not bother with a large frame ar. There are six barrels available...I am tempted to order right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:53:43 PM EDT
What's your COAL? Are these being mag fed?

My 22" Triad is still in it's original packaging sitting in the safe.  Your numbers are getting me anxious to slap it all together.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:42:42 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MNhunter:
What's your COAL? Are these being mag fed?

My 22" Triad is still in it's original packaging sitting in the safe.  Your numbers are getting me anxious to slap it all together.
View Quote

Mag feed from a windowed mag.
OAL is 2.36 which fits by just windowing a mag to hold up to 11 or 12, or just do a 5 round window for hunting.
LEVER and CFE are the powders to use.
There is a bunch of it going of over at the X.X forum.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 3:01:24 AM EDT by DBrown]
I edited my previous post because I am awestruck by these numbers.

BUT: This performance is directly comparable with 6.5 CREEDMOOR. The Creedmoor pushes a 140 gr. pill only 12"/sec faster. The Creedmore requires 62,000 psi. a 28" barrel and a case capacity of 52.5 gr. water to do this. Yama are you comfortable with the thought of pushing the 6.8 even harder? As much as I would like to see what the 6.8 is actually capable of I would be terrified of the extra couple of grains of powder turning a rifle into a grenade. I admire the 6.8, but, please place your numbers next to the 6.5 Lapua and Creedmoor.

I hope my concerns are baseless and unfounded. I already noticed the 22" Triad barrel. While, this exceeds what I am currently comfortable with, I will pay serious attention to your replies.

DB

Edit:In this singular, particular circumstance I would not mind being proven wrong.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 3:01:58 AM EDT by DBrown]
Yama, I just read your, "6.8 SPC target rifle and performance test" tread.

130 vld @ 2850'/sec. and 140 vld @2680. This is not what I expect from an intermediate caliber. I will have to lurk at X.X and possibly learn something?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:04:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DBrown:
Wow,

Those are not numbers anticipated from an intermediate caliber. Handloaders chasing not speed but accuracy, which you have achieved, come up with numbers like this for the .270Win.

EDIT: With numbers like that I would not bother with a large frame ar. There are six barrels available...I am tempted to order right now.
View Quote

The .270 can pitch 130s at well over 3200 fps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:04:52 AM EDT
I edited my previous post because I am awestruck by these numbers.

BUT: This performance is directly comparable with 6.5 CREEDMOOR. The Creedmoor pushes a 140 gr. pill only 12"/sec faster. The Creedmore requires 62,000 psi. a 28" barrel and a case capacity of 52.5 gr. water to do this. Yama are you comfortable with the thought of pushing the 6.8 even harder? As much as I would like to see what the 6.8 is actually capable of I would be terrified of the extra couple of grains of powder turning a rifle into a grenade. I admire the 6.8, but, please place your numbers next to the 6.5 Lapua and Creedmoor.

I hope my concerns are baseless and unfounded. I already noticed the 22" Triad barrel. While, this exceeds what I am currently comfortable with, I will pay serious attention to your replies.

DB

Edit:In this singular, particular circumstance I would not mind being proven wrong.
View Quote

Do you own a Creedmoor or .260?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 3:59:20 AM EDT by DBrown]
Ziarifleman,

I own a .243. and several .308s. I can now see the advantages of a lighter smaller rifle and was considering a 6.8. I only had modest expectations and did not anticipate that I might have to sacrifice nothing when it came to actual performance.

Yes, I know the .270win can hit 3200'/sec. But, was reloading for a Browning semi-auto which was used in WI and the goal was accuracy. Was not chasing velocity.

I would love to be pushing 6.5 whatever to the screaming edge. But, I will not even have to push 6.8 to its limits. Just more than a little amazed by what Yama has been reloading to.

I am sure that I am not the only old fart, that when rolling his own only loads to modest levels.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:55:44 AM EDT
Ziarifleman,

I own a .243. and several .308s. I can now see the advantages of a lighter smaller rifle and was considering a 6.8. I only had modest expectations and did not anticipate that I might have to sacrifice nothing when it came to actual performance.

Yes, I know the .270win can hit 3200'/sec. But, was reloading for a Browning semi-auto which was used in WI and the goal was accuracy. Was not chasing velocity.

I would love to be pushing 6.5 whatever to the screaming edge. But, I will not even have to push 6.8 to its limits. Just more than a little amazed by what Yama has been reloading to.

I am sure that I am not the only old fart, that when rolling his own only loads to modest levels.
View Quote

Some people are convinced it's only about the arrow...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT by Yama_Raja]
Originally Posted By cjgem:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cjgem:
Ziarifleman,

This particular projectile does not have to pushed to these levels to be accurate.
From all the loading I have done with them I find a 1 MOA node a full grain wide at both this upper charge level and a lower charge level.
Even if someone only wants to run it 2500 to 2550 fps they will find an accuracy node there.
These are also de-milled projectiles offered from time to time by 2 different companies and produced by Speer in their Gold Dot line configuration.
Someone has suggested I am buying .270 ammo and pulling the projectiles.
Not even, the last batch I paid .11 each for shipped, .10 powder, .04 primer, .11 projectile, brass I have, .25 each to shoot these. :)

Its yet another benefit of using a cartridge based on the highly popular .270.
There is always a plethora of de-milled projectiles in various flavors in the 130gr range.

Top Top