Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:07:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2007 7:18:17 AM EST by constructor]
What do you use? why? accuracy, cheap, availability?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:31:51 AM EST
This season I will be using hornady v-max for coyotes and ssa TSX for deer/hogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:08:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:21:09 PM EST
Handloads, build the load to the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:49:35 PM EST
Art, I didn't know it would have this outcome. So will you start selling plinking ammo?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:01:14 AM EST
In the past I have predominantly used the Remington FMJ for plinking and SSA OTM for bench/accuracy. Now that SSA has discounted pricing direct, I will probably use their 115gr OTM for everything and buy deep to save. They are supposed to have another plinking load by years end that I will give a try.

Stephen
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:28:02 AM EST
Machines for the Plinking round are on their way. We hope before years end we will be up and running.

Art - SSA
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:09:39 AM EST
Glad to hear it, Art.

We still don't have a good "plinking" round that is cheap enough to buy in quantity, and non-handloaders need that badly. I reload but I just don't have enough "free-time" to do enough of it. So, I still have to buy factory ammo, since I shoot, much faster than I can reload it, in that precious free time.

Please also help us get the following:

High BC bullets designed for the 6.8 SPC. We need some in the .400 range and up to get the velocity up without the excess pressure. There are still alot of people who own 1 in 10" barrels out there, and I hear that LWRC decided to go with 1 in 10" also, so there are still Mfr's making that twist. Whether you believe that the land/groove ratio, chamber dimensions or depth or twist is the gig, we need to tweak the bullets now, too.

More soft-point or ballistic-tipped, high BC hunting rounds in the 115-130 grain range, short enough to build safe, compressed loads to spec OAL's for hunting. Constructor already loaded a 130 to 2500 recently, and I believe that he has had no serious pressure problems with it, in his 1 in 11" either.

BTW, Rock on there, bro! I still haven't given up on the hog hunt for you guys.....I just need to get my paid hunters through our deer season first. I still have your email and contact info....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:51:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By hi-tech-rancher:
Glad to hear it, Art.

We still don't have a good "plinking" round that is cheap enough to buy in quantity, and non-handloaders need that badly. I reload but I just don't have enough "free-time" to do enough of it. So, I still have to buy factory ammo, since I shoot, much faster than I can reload it, in that precious free time.

High BC bullets designed for the 6.8 SPC. We need some in the .400 range and up to get the velocity up without the excess pressure. There are still alot of people who own 1 in 10" barrels out there, and I hear that LWRC decided to go with 1 in 10" also, so there are still Mfr's making that twist. Whether you believe that the land/groove ratio, chamber dimensions or depth or twist is the gig, we need to tweak the bullets now, too.

More soft-point or ballistic-tipped, high BC hunting rounds in the 115-130 grain range, short enough to build safe, compressed loads to spec OAL's for hunting. Constructor already loaded a 130 to 2500 recently, and I believe that he has had no serious pressure problems with it, in his 1 in 11" either.

BTW, Rock on there, bro! I still haven't given up on the hog hunt for you guys.....I just need to get my paid hunters through our deer season first. I still have your email and contact info....

Actually I had the 130s up to 2600 when it was 90+ degrees but I backed off to 2480 just to make major. It's cooling off here, 45 at the range the other day, I ended up using RE7 with the 90gr TNTs to keep them up at 2950fps. The RE7 flows better and isn't as compacted so it's more accurate for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:46:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By constructor:

Originally Posted By hi-tech-rancher:
Glad to hear it, Art.

Actually I had the 130s up to 2600 when it was 90+ degrees but I backed off to 2480 just to make major. It's cooling off here, 45 at the range the other day, I ended up using RE7 with the 90gr TNTs to keep them up at 2950fps. The RE7 flows better and isn't as compacted so it's more accurate for me.

That's a good tip. I'll have to look in to that.

BTW, check your email.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:46:58 AM EST
Top Top