Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2011 11:31:38 AM EDT
Are there any other companies that make or plan to make 6.5 uppers?

After reading some on it, seem's like a logical choice to get one for hunting larger game with.

Also if it performs like they say might be the next us army issue caliber??

Just a lil thinkin with my fingers here so don't go bashin me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
6.5 Grendel? 6.5 Creedmore?

Originally the Grendel was developed as a white-tail caliber.

It is an excellent gun to use on 4 legged game out to 400yds. Just google the Mark Larue Elk hunt here.

I have a 16" Grendel and love shooting it. I'm picking up a Burris PEPR QD for the Leupold scope my lady bought me.

I originally had a SS 20" Grendel with Vortex 4-16x50 but sold the barrel and bolt before picking up a 16" SS to build a lighter but nearly equally capable gun. The scope remained but was entirely too much for the gun. It soon made it to the EE.

Anyway, as for ballistics, a 123gr Lapua Scenar will remain supersonic to 1000 yards thru a 16" and 1200 yards thru a 20" upper.  24" uppers can carry a 144gr SMK to 1300yds before dropping out of supersonic territory.

All brass cased Grendel ammo is reloadable. Wolf makes your training ammo in 120 and 123gr varieties and is very available through AIM for about $320/500. Large rifle primers. Hornady and Lapua use Small Rifle Primers.

If using a silencer it will suppress supremely well.  6.8 and 30cal cans will work. I plan on using the YHM 762 Titanium.

Magazines are available through Alexander Arms and ASC. 556 mags will work with a limited capacity––about 7rds in a PMag last I heard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
dittos.....great platform when 5.56 just wont cut it, and lighter and handier than the 308...

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 6.5 I built mine from scratch. The only different parts are the barrel, bolt and mag.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Add me to list I really like my 16" 6.5 Grendel with Phantom flash hider.  I have a RRA mount with a Leupold 3 X 9 mil dot scope and a Vortex strikefire for close in work.  I'm supposed to go hog hunting the Feb and I hope to get some pigs with my Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Another 6.5 Grendel here

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are there any other companies that make or plan to make 6.5 uppers?

I'm not sure if you're asking about companies other than Alexander Arms or other than the half dozen or so that already offer 6.5 uppers?  Off the top of my head, I can think of these 6.5 players:  AA, Les Baer, Black Hole Weaponry, Precision Firearms, Templar Consulting, J&T,  Model 1 Sales, Loki Weapon Systems, SAOD.  I'm likely forgetting someone.  Does that answer your question?

After reading some on it, seem's like a logical choice to get one for hunting larger game with.

Yeah, if you want to stick with the AR15, I think the 6.5 is a better choice for deer/hog-sized game than the 5.56.  There are certainly other entirely satisfactory caliber options, such as the 6.8 or the .458 SOCOM, but I'm partial to the 6.5 myself.

Also if it performs like they say might be the next us army issue caliber??

Although I wouldn't mind if it became the next army issue caliber, I think the likelihood of that happening is non-existent.  I just don't see any caliber, whether 6.5 or 6.8 or something similarly sized, making enough of a performance difference to displace the 5.56.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes i was refering to the grendal. Just seemed like a more economical choice. Swap uppers and head for the stand.

I am right the upper = no fll needed right??

I remember a few reports from iraq, of bad guy's needing multiple shots to put em down. Was wondering if the 6.5 would be better for this?

As for companies that make them. The more that do the less the price tag is, or so i would asume?
Any thought's on this? Some of us are better off, at not atempting to roll yur own at this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thomas–– you're correct in understanding that no FFL is needed for a barreled upper, barrel, BCG, etc. Only a serialized piece (lower) needs a FFL.

I'd only build an upper from parts with my own tools if I knew I'd be doing more than 1 since the investment is significant. If you have a torque wrench you'll only need an upper receiver block, barrel nut wrench, possibly a lapping tool to help with windage/elevation adjustments, and pin punches for FSBs, forward assists, charging handle latch upgrades, etc. This can run as little as $100 and over $300 for tools. It is worth it if you plan on doing several uppers for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Any good brakes around for a 6.5 grendel that don't break the band and does any one know the thread  size?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Start here. 6.5 grendel FAQ
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Typical Grendel barrels are 9/16-24.  Find out what it is from your chosen vendor, however.  Some other Alexander Arms uppers are 3/4-28: same for what YHM uses on a 338LM Phantom QD.  I'm not sure why AA or other places are doing the 9/16-24 or 3/4-28 since all you're likely going to use is a 30cal muzzle device/silencer mount/etc.  I have a YHM 762QD on mine.  There is a Form 4 in my plans

With thread protector:

Without:

A couple of engravings

And I will be picking up a Burris PEPR QD mount Friday for the glass.  Leupold 4-12x40 my lady bought me a couple years ago
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Try 260 Remington in an AR10/308 platform.  My LMT flat out shoots, and is more accurate than I can be...

Bill
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top