Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2008 4:33:47 PM EDT
At the local range this weekend a guy was out with his new 6.5g trying to get it sighted in.  Being curious, and thinking of a 6.x build I picked up some brass he left behind, and the RM gave me some he found on the 25yrd line as well.

I'm curious though, as it was all pinched/flattened/etc at the neck, would that be an extraction problem, ejector spring tension, or any myriad of problems?
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Leaving 6.5 Brass? Wow, guy must be rich. What range?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 3:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Leaving 6.5 Brass? Wow, guy must be rich. What range?

Must not have been Lapua!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
He probably used Wolf brass!

Anyway, I've experienced that on some cases (see photo), and I think it happens when the brass hits the deflector. One can put a patch of black self-adhesive velcro (the fuzzy or "loop" side) on the deflector, and it should help solve the problem.

John

| 6.5 Grendel: The Tier One AR Cartridge. |

www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
In my 700, when it leaves the chamber, it gets a good enough run to whack the inside of the receiver pretty good.
This usually "oval" the case mouth, but running it through the sizing bushing (I don't have an expander in my die) takes it back round.
If that doesn't work, a light tap with a nail punch brings it back.

I don't know if I could bring myself to plink with Lapua brass in an AR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anyway, I've experienced that on some cases (see photo), and I think it happens when the brass hits the deflector. One can put a patch of black self-adhesive velcro (the fuzzy or "loop" side) on the deflector, and it should help solve the problem.

http://www.65grendel.com/gallery/65G_BrassDings.jpg

John

www.65grendel.com

bottom row, 2nd one.  All brass is like that, but worse.  I haven't sorted it from the other brass that day (dumped it all in one bag), when I do I'll get the picture up (tomorrow hopefully).

I'll get a headstamp pic as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.65grendel.com/gallery/65G_BrassDings.jpg

John

www.65grendel.com

I saw the same with Lapua brass when I had my Grendel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Run it through the sizing die, that will fix it
And yeah, it was probably hitting the deflector.

The most puzzling part of this is why the hell did he not scavenge it all? That stuff ain't cheap!

(You ought to see me searching for every last damn piece of my 300 whisper brass)
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At the local range this weekend a guy was out with his new 6.5g trying to get it sighted in.  Being curious, and thinking of a 6.x build I picked up some brass he left behind, and the RM gave me some he found on the 25yrd line as well.

I'm curious though, as it was all pinched/flattened/etc at the neck, would that be an extraction problem, ejector spring tension, or any myriad of problems?

Like Forrest said, run it through your resizer die and it will straighten that out. Common issue for me fixed by the resizer die.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top