Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/6/2005 3:18:28 AM EDT
I'd like to wind up with a "pencil" barrel on a flattop upper. I'm not sure if it's better to buy the 6520 and change out the upper, or buy a 6920 and change the barrel. Thoughts? The upside to buying the 6520 so far would appear to be cost. They look to go for $100-200 less than the 6920.

In either event, I'm guessing that the 6520 doesn't have the "F" front sight base and could therefore lead to problems with the majority of BUIS once it's attached to a flattop. Is there a way around this other than getting a taller front sight post?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:46:51 AM EDT
Well, it sounds like the 6520 would be the cheapest route. The 6920 costs more initially, then you have the added fact that barrels cost more than stripped upper receivers. You'd be better off to buy the cheaper firearm and change the cheapest part. Buying a taller front sight post would be no problem whatsoever, and definitely easier/cheaper than a whole new F-marked front sight base.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:57:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
I'd like to wind up with a "pencil" barrel on a flattop upper. I'm not sure if it's better to buy the 6520 and change out the upper, or buy a 6920 and change the barrel. Thoughts? The upside to buying the 6520 so far would appear to be cost. They look to go for $100-200 less than the 6920.

In either event, I'm guessing that the 6520 doesn't have the "F" front sight base and could therefore lead to problems with the majority of BUIS once it's attached to a flattop. Is there a way around this other than getting a taller front sight post?

Do you think a distrubutor could get a "custom" one for you????? That way it is completely right the first time?????

I have no idea who to use because of Colt's silly policies but it might be worth asking around.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:49:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Do you think a distrubutor could get a "custom" one for you????? That way it is completely right the first time?????

If it was Bushmaster, it wouldn't be a problem there would just be a wait. Since it is Colt, and I'm not even supposed to have it, I bet there's not much chance of that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
6520: $1000
6920 upper: $260
sell 6520 A2 upper: -$200
Total: $1060

This seems like the more affordable option. The question is can I sell a Colt A2 upper for $200?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:44:53 AM EDT
I doubt it would be a quick sale, but it will have the M4 feedramps, so eventually someone will want it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:59:34 AM EDT

This seems like the more affordable option. The question is can I sell a Colt A2 upper for $200?

I went the complete 6520 upper route to get my Colt lightweight barrel and it took a little bit to sell the A2 upper for $150, so good luck at $200. Only a Colt Cult purist would pay that, IMO and maybe not even at that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:08:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:

I went the complete 6520 upper route to get my Colt lightweight barrel and it took a little bit to sell the A2 upper for $150, so good luck at $200. Only a Colt Cult purist would pay that, IMO and maybe not even at that.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of, since the flattops are all the rage. Even if it's $150 that still puts me right around $1100 for the complete gun when I'm done

The other route though is:
6920: $1200
6520 barrel: $395
sell 6920 barrel: -$300
Total $1295

Again assuming I could sell the M4 barrel for $300.

Mongo, what was your experience with the lightweight barrel, FSB and BUIS? Any issues?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 1:32:41 PM EDT by mongo001]
Here's my sight in results at 50yds, firing one mag as fast as I could and keep the Aimpoint reasonably on target. I was trying to see if I could get any noticable shift in POI. In some you could argue yes, and others no. Realize I'm no expert, either. The first target is a slow fire, 100yd sight in using the Aimpoint off the bench. All others are 50yds rapid fire.

I thought it shot a wide range of ammo very well, which is marked at the top of each target. The 100yd target was 77gr SMK handloads.

ETA: The two shots on the right side of the Win 55gr target and the left side of the 75gr Umax target were the sighters. I adjusted the Aimpoint from there and shot from that point on.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:51:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 1:51:56 PM EDT by mongo001]
Dammit, somebody just posted a source for 6520 uppers for $600, but I can't remember where it was nor can I find the thread. I was thinking that would be a way to go, if you didn't need the lower. Hell, a Colt lightweight barrel, B/C/CH might be worth that minus whatever you can get for the A2 receiver.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:52:21 PM EDT
Why don't you just buy a CMT or LMT flattop upper and then have someone turn a WOA, or the like, barrel down to a "LW" contour ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 1:55:49 PM EDT by mongo001]

Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
Why don't you just buy a CMT or LMT flattop upper and then have someone turn a WOA, or the like, barrel down to a "LW" contour ?

He's a Colt Cult member.......................duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

BUT, that's sort of what I did. I got the upper receiver assembly, minus B/C/CH for $350. It was a postban, unthreaded barrel with a muzzle brake on it. I sold the A2 receiver for $150 and saved the barrel for me. $200 for a true Colt lightweight barrel isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:57:09 PM EDT
Here's a 6520 upper for $585.

Link
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:05:42 PM EDT

Dammit, somebody just posted a source for 6520 uppers for $600, but I can't remember where it was nor can I find the thread. I was thinking that would be a way to go, if you didn't need the lower. Hell, a Colt lightweight barrel, B/C/CH might be worth that minus whatever you can get for the A2 receiver.

policesupplyinc.com
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:06:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

policesupplyinc.com

That's it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:11:02 PM EDT
Just picked up some 6520 complete rifles and the upper M4 feed ramps are shiney exposed metal. The only markings on the upper are the Cerro Forge keyhole. There is no "4" on the front of the upper. It looks exactly like a Bushmaster upper I have, minus the cuts. All this looks different than 3 other 6520 uppers. Some potential buyer might question the Colt authenticity on these, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:12:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kingcleophus:
Just picked up some 6520 complete rifles and the upper M4 feed ramps are shiney exposed metal. The only markings on the upper are the Cerro Forge keyhole. There is no "4" on the front of the upper. It looks exactly like a Bushmaster upper I have, minus the cuts. All this looks different than 3 other 6520 uppers. Some potential buyer might question the Colt authenticity on these, I'm sure.

I'd say that the receiver isn't a Colt. I'd bet money on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 4:18:51 PM EDT by kingcleophus]

Just received two NIB from a dealer on this board. Also simultaeously received another from a totally seperate dealer. Could there be some middle man doing any switching?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT

Just received two NIB from a dealer on this board. Also simultaeously received another from a totally seperate dealer. Could there be some middle man doing any switching?

There has been rumors of crap like this happening.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:28:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 4:29:48 PM EDT by kingcleophus]

www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

I guess these are some points someone should investigate before they buy these uppers/rifles. I didn't pay any attention to this until I viewed this thread.

Can you think of any reason Colt would have changed to a generic upper(demand, parts shortage, time constraints, bad hair Monday,etc)?

The latest upper I have with the proprietary markings is 3/05. These last 3 come from 4/05.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:33:42 PM EDT

www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

I guess these are some points someone should investigate before they buy these uppers/rifles. I didn't pay any attention to this until I viewed this thread.

Can you think of any reason Colt would have changed to a generic upper(demand, parts shortage, time constraints, bad hair Monday,etc)?

The latest upper I have with the proprietary markings is 3/05. These last 3 come from 4/05.

I guess I wouldn't put it by anybody to skimp, but that's not like Colt, but who knows.

I'd guess a parts swap before I'd guess that Colt would do something like this. Their competitors - RRA - do it all the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
Alright, so complete uppers for $600, any complete lowers for less than $440? Lowers without stocks for less than $350? Not that I'm complaining that I could wind up with a complete 6520 for $1040.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:22:56 PM EDT
A CMT lower is basically a Colt without the pony on the side. That would save you some money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:23:06 AM EDT by Aubrey]
GunDealer3 (Jim Pearson at Police Supply, Inc.) is an EE dealer that will do you right on Colt LE carbines (complete rifles, uppers, complete lowers, lowers less stock and receiver extension, bolt carrier groups...). He also keeps a few auctions going on Auction Arms. I just received a 6920 from him and was very pleased with the whole transaction.

A flat-top 6520 is intriguing. Others have indicated that the lack of an "F" FSB is an issue with the carry-handle rear sight, but not with most BUIS. If you want to keep your Kool-Aid pure, then you'll want the Colt upper receiver, but a CMT or LMT can be had for much less, saving enough to help pay for that LaRue 9.0 and LMT front sight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aubrey:
GunDealer3 (Jim Pearson at Police Supply, Inc.) is an EE dealer that will do you right on Colt LE carbines (complete rifles, uppers, complete lowers, lowers less stock and receiver extension, bolt carrier groups...). He also keeps a few auctions going on Auction Arms. I just received a 6920 from him and was very pleased with the whole transaction.

A flat-top 6520 is intriguing. Others have indicated that the lack of an "F" FSB is an issue with the carry-handle rear sight, but not with most BUIS. If you want to keep your Kool-Aid pure, then you'll want the Colt upper receiver, but a CMT or LMT can be had for much less, saving enough to help pay for that LaRue 9.0 and LMT front sight.

Front sight? Swapping a FSB isn't all that easy, unless you send it to somebody qualified, which will add about $80 or so to your total bill. I'd just add the five dollar 0.040" front sight post and forget about it, if needed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:25 AM EDT
Mongo,

Agreed. I was thinking along the lines of Wes or Steve swapping the FSB for a gas block, which would definitely add to the cost.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:19:01 AM EDT
The intention here is to keep it pretty simple. I already have this gun for when I'm feeling complicated.

What I'm thinking of to start with is just the regular handguards, Aimpoint on a cantilever mount, Tango Down pistol grip, and Vltor stock. Eventually I'll probably add a DD rail (since it's so light) just to mount a Surefire to.
Top Top