Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 9:14:15 PM EDT
I have a family member who appears to be special forces. Recently I was at a gun show and he was looking for a vintage 5th special forces patch. I do not see the need for him to have this other than he is in 5th special forces. He is always silent on his duties, he disappears alot and he has an office in a federal building. What are some opinions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Mind your own business... he clearly does not want to, or can't, discuss it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
In a more tactful way...

Some things shouldn't be discussed- especially on the internet. loose lips sink ships, and all that.

Don't pry into things that will just give you nightmares, just be glad that some men have the courage to protect all of us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In a more tactful way...

Some things shouldn't be discussed- especially on the internet. loose lips sink ships, and all that.

Don't pry into things that will just give you nightmares, just be glad that some men have the courage to protect all of us.
View Quote

Much better stated M4Man, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Or maybe nobody has asked him.

2nd said it was a [i]vintage[/i] 5th group patch.  LLSS probably doesn't apply.  And there's nothing classified about whether or not the guy was in a group.  Maybe some of the operations, but not the unit.

But my dad (not long-tabbed) was similar.  He would *never* talk about his duty.  Unless you asked him.  Then he'd tell you whatever you wanted.  But if you never asked, he'd be content to just wear his "US Army Retired" baseball cap and collect his retirement.

Nothing classified, nothing too emotionally painful, nothing OPSEC.  Just a private guy who doesn't go around tooting his own horn.

Now if the guy to whom 2nd is referring dogdges questions or conversation about his time in the service, then yes it's best to leave it alone.  But not for OPSEC reasons, but just to respect the guy's privacy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually some units it is classified to even disclose you are part of the unit... can not say that is the case here.  And many missions from WWII are just coming to light.  I'm guessing a lot of went on in Vietnam is still highly classified.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just let it go. i see nothink i hear nothink i know nothink!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
HiramRanger,

I think you said it pretty well in your first post.  If he doesn't know him well enough to figure it out, he probably shouldn't be posting it on a board.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...he was looking for a vintage 5th special forces patch. I do not see the need for him to have this other than he is in 5th special forces.
View Quote

I agree with LT Voils. Probably not a big deal. If you don't even know him well enough to know who he works for why should he justify any of his purchases to you anyway?

So he wants to buy a vintage 5th Gp flash (vintage = old, not current). So he works in a federal building. You don't need to start an investigation. If he was currently assigned to 5th SFG(A) he'd get his flash issued from unit supply. Maybe you should treat your relative like family instead of a suspect and he might tell you.

*edited to ad [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=166095]link[/url] w/o bumping thread.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
IBTL

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Move along folks. Nothing here to see.

HiramRanger
Kinda knew what you were geting at. I got your back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]

-
--------ATTENTION---------
-

This post is now property of the United States Government.  Anthing you have read or seen is now considered classified.  By further passing on this information you are subject to all laws concerning declassifying information and you will be SHOT on the spot. Sorry for the incorrecctly spelled words but the United States governtment can't afford a dictionary due to all of our new projects set forth by the democratic party.

[:D] hee hee, seriously though it can't hurt to ask a few questions.  If he doesnt want to tell you anything, then just let it go.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
This is so retarded.  First of all, what do you mean "appears" to be 5th special forces? Is this your guess, or what he has said/suggested? Second, why the hell is he going to gun shows to buy 5th special forces patches?  If he was military those would be provided free to him through base clothing issue or his unit.  3rd of all, why would he be working in a fed building.  I'm thinking if he were special forces he would report to some kind of military base or installation.

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]

3rd of all, why would he be working in a fed building.  I'm thinking if he were special forces he would report to some kind of military base or installation.
View Quote

It's possible to be in the military and work in a federal building. It's possible to be in the military and work in a storefront office. He may have seperated and taken another job. He may have been seperated, and given another job.

He did say vintage. Perhaps he was reminiscing, or wanted something from an earler time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
IBTL [:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
And how is this AR related? This should be in the gen. topics forum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
When I first was assigned to the 25th Infantry, I went out and picked up some vintage 25th Patches at local shows and on the web. Why? Because its a part or History, I now have some unit patches from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the uniforms to go with them. Sure its not current issue, but really, who gives a fuck! It's not illegal to have a patch, nor illegal to buy them, hell, sometimes you can find them cheaper at shows than you can at the exchange.

When I was transferred to my (current) unit, ya know what? I didn the same thing, its all about remembering the past and the soldiers who came before you. You never know who wore the patch or uniform before you, and where its been, but its always nice to think about it.

The fun will start when I get to the 75th, hummmm I'll have to save up for all the cool vintage things I will want to get.

Tropic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top