Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 11:34:08 PM EDT
has anyone modified a 30 round mag so it will only hold 5 rounds?  the reason i ask is its illegal to hunt in my state with any auto loader that can hold my than 6 rounds and i would like to save the 15-20 dollars on new mags.  I'm trying to figure out a way to block the follower with an insert of some sort, im open to suggestion.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Verify with your state's fish and game department that you can't have a mag "capable" of holding more than 5 rounds. In NH I asked fish and game and they said I can have a 30 round mag, but make sure I have no more than 5 rounds in it. He also said I'm allowed one in the chamber for a total of 6 rounds.

Below is our email conversation:
To: Paul <mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:45 PM
Subject: RE: Hunting regulations question
Paul,
You may use a high capacity magazine so long as you do not load more than 5 rounds into it. You do not need to plug the magazine in any way. While hunting with a semi-auto, you would therefore be allowed a total of 6 rounds, 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.
Sgt. Bonenfant
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:02 PM
To: Bruce Bonenfant
Subject: Hunting regulations question

Sgt. Bonenfant,
I've emailed you in the past and you were very helpful. I have one more question
I was hoping you would answer. It has to do with the rule rule pasted below:

" It is also illegal to hunt with a
semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges
(except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols), or use full-jacketed metal case
bullets;"

Does this reg mean the magazine can't be capable of holding 5 rounds, or just
can't have more than 5 rounds in it even though it is capable of holding more?
.223 is great for coyote and I have an AR15. I can't find 5 round mags for these
anywhere. Can I simply put a block in the mag preventing it from taking more
than 5 rounds?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Bushmaster sells 5 round magazines.

Bushmaster 5 round mag

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a NIW Armalite 5 round mag that I will sell you for $15 shipped.  Send me an IM if interested.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top