Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 4:04:29 PM EDT
I recently purchased two twenty round mags from a co-worker who got them from his dad.  The father was in 'Nam and had these mags for a while.  When I took them to the range I found I could only load 5 rounds in one of the mags.  When I first got the mags I took them apart and cleaned them but paid no attention to a small strip of metal "banding" that went around the spring on one of them. After I removed it I could get 20 rnds in the mag.  Both are Colt mags and I was wondering if this is a factory item or if it was an aftermarket item.   The 5 rnd mag did not say it was a 5 rnd'er on the floorplate.  This strip of metal is a U-shape and the ends are bent on the corners.  Has anyone ever run across anything like this?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A square U shape with the corners on each open end bent in??  If so this is/was a Colt 5 round block that they put in 20 round mags.  Back in 1976 when I got my first AR , I ran into these in the mags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was given a Colt 20 round mag and it had one of these blocks in it.  I still have the block, but have no use for it.  What to do with it?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was given a Colt 20 round mag and it had one of these blocks in it.  I still have the block, but have no use for it.  What to do with it?  
View Quote

I will buy it, how much do you want for this part? (obviously for a reasonable amount!)

Fire me an email so that we can discuss, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.  I think I'll hold on to it may want to hunt with it someday and I'm a pack rat, I don't throw anything away or sell much gun related stuff. Maybe that explains all the clutter around the house.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of the blocks that came from a Colt 20 rounder if anyone wants it. Shoot me an IM.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two of these as well. But would removing the block constitute the manufacturing of post-ban high-cap? or because they were made before the ban, Legal?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top