Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2003 3:29:44 PM EDT
This may be a stupid question, but I want to be on the safe side rather than screw my new M4gery up. The barrel is a 16' chrome lined DPMS (CMMG) labeled 1-7 .223 Cal.

Now the questions I have are..
1) Can I safely shoot Federal XM193 55 grain boat tail rounds labeled 5.56mm? (I get 500 rds of this for $95.00 through my Department.)
           OR
Should I not shoot 5.56, and only shoot .223 rounds through the .223 labeled barrel?

Im a bit confused on the difference between the two rounds..always thought they were the same.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have no problems using either 5.56 or .223 in your rifle. If you're really concerned, contact DPMS. They will be able to tell exactly what the chamber is reamed for.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If this is the CMMG 1/7 it has a 5.56 chamber.  DPMS just labeled .223 but they really have 5.56 chambers.  

According to CMMG the next batch will be labled correctly.

I have the same barrel and I've fired several thousand rounds or M855/SS109 and XM193 through it without any problems or malfunctions.

You should good to go with 5.56 ammo!

BTW, also make sure to check out the ammo FAQ that Troy mentioned!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top