Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2016 12:12:45 AM EDT
Have any of ya'll run this type of set up before?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Darn you!  I see a build in my future.

Seriously, lots of 5.56 pistols out there; I don't see any reason why 5.45 wouldn't make a nice pistol/SBR...and now I want one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't imagine that being anything else than a range toy of you could get it to run reliably.

It would like a hot .22 mag at those velocities.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend and myself built similar  budget  545 pistols back when 7n6 was dirt cheap. Cheap shooting fun guns, a tad bit loud even with the flash can. The weakpoint is the magazines, I ended up modifying pmags as described here on arfcom. My mags worked flawlessly but ymmv. I have fired roughly 2000 rounds without a single failure what so ever.

I am not sure if the current price of 7n6 is worth building an AR around anymore, but I will keep mine around till the barrel is done,  then reconfigure it from there. It helps that I am a big fan of 7n6 in short barrels (krink et al.).

Not sure of your reasoning for this build so hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Right after the 7n6 / pistol issue got (wrongly!) finalized, I mounted a spikes 8" upper to a pistol lower. Its f-ing awesome. the ballistics of 7n6 do SOOOO much better out of a short barrel than 556 does and the package is so freakin handy. Its my favorite useless AR
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I shoot my 5.45 AR pistol more then I shoot my 3 AK type rifles combined...
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, you guys are gonna cost me some money. I currently have an Adams Arms 5.45 that runs pretty well. I stocked up 5.45 when it was around $100 a spam can. Currently have enough to burn out the one barrel. Wasn't planning on continuing that round after I ran out but I think I just might.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, but I wish I had.  Well, I would have preferred a 10.5" for my pinned A2 tastes but it would have gone better with my 16" than a 14.5" pinned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's my 8.25" PDW. It's my home defense gun and normally wears a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56.

Crappy pic, but you get the idea...

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top