BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 3:15:32 PM EDT
O-K folks . . .

What’s the TRUE skinny on this . . . .

At 200 yards will a barrel with a 1X7 twist shoot 55 grain ammo with the same accuracy as a 1X9 twist barrel ? ?

And at 200 yards will the 62 grain ammo shoot that much better, if any, that the 55 grain ammo, out of a 1X7 twist barrel  ? ?

Does this make any sense ?!?!?

Reason I’m asking is that my 15 year old son will be using one of my AR’s this year in the local High-Power League.  Rifle has a 1X7 twist barrel.

Will the 55 gain ammo be O-K out to 200 yards ? ? ?

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ammo-oracle.com

both should work fine out of either bbl or grain weight
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 63 gr. Sierra SP  pretty much exclusively through my Colt MT Comp.  1:9"

It is by far the most accurate  bullet I've tried in my 1:9" ......, and I've tried many different weights & shapes!!

Of course I'm refuring to shooting with quality optics & hand loads!!  If you are inquiring about accuracy with iron sights and/or Factory loads..., I don't have a clue!!!

You might find this site helpfull.  

http://stevespages.com/page8e.htm     You'll have to cut & paste.., I don't know how to make it hot!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
62 grain ammo was made to be shot froma 1/9 Minimi.  Thats the ideal twist for the 62 grain projectile.  That said you will have more barrl to barrel dfference in which barrellikes which load than diference because of twist.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
62 grain ammo was made to be shot froma 1/9 Minimi.  Thats the ideal twist for the 62 grain projectile.  That said you will have more barrl to barrel dfference in which barrellikes which load than diference because of twist.

I may be corrected but I believe 69grn bullets hit the accuracy sweet spot for 1:9 twist barrels.

5sub
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
if you have a 1/7...nothing like some 75 gn tap 60 works great too
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top