User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2003 6:01:23 AM EDT
Whos got them for sale?
Cruizer
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done some extensive searching for them, and the only place that had them was www.ima-us.com (I think that was the address) and unfortunately, they appear to be sold out! [:(]

Dawg
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck finding them -- IMA sold out last year, and AFAIK they were the only big source. A dealer posted an ad last week on sturmgewehr.com with five for sale at $50 each, and they sold in minutes (I answered within the hour and they were long gone).

About the best alternative is to weld up two STEn mags -- I've got a 56-rounder done by Dan Hill that works fine. He was selling them for $34 ea. at Bulletfest but I think he sold out. Don't know if he's making up any more.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have enough stens to try welding two together. What do I do for the spring?

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Cut a couple of half-inch-long sections of small metal tubing -- brass or copper will work -- that is just large enough to fit two thicknesses of the spring wire. Slit tubing down the side.

Place the springs together with the last three coils overlapping, slide one or two sections of the tubing over the spring wires where they are parallel, and then crimp the tubing tight.

It worked on mine.

You might need to try different numbers of coil overlaps to get the correct amount of tension to feed smoothly.

Here's a pic of a standard 32-round STEn, a Lanchester 50-rounder and a welded-up 56-rounder:

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049773.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife bitched when I bought the Miller 185 mig welder. Off to the shop to cut up small mags and make them into big mags.

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I sat next to Dan at Bulletfest, seen his mags.

I would take and make a block to slide inside the tube, to maintain align of both tubes, then weld, then remove the alignment block.

As to the spring, see how much sticks out bottom of 1 mag, then determine same for large mag, maybe a couple extra,  cut spring to over lap maybe 4 coils, and spot (not seam) the springs together in 4 places. I think the idea of the crimp tubes will cause drag inside the tube.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The crimp tubes are what Dan used on the mag he made for me.

FYI, I tested the mag in my STEn-converted M11/9. With a suppressor and a MacJack the ROF is 2,000+ rpm, and Dan's mag fed just fine. If it doesn't drag at 2k, it won't be a problem.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think if you have block inside while you weld you run the chance of fuseing it to the mag. I am going to clamp them to a straight edge and tack weld all the way aroud before I run a bead.

cruizer
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top