Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:44:18 AM EDT
I have seen an ad for a Beowolf 50AE upper that seems to be pretty cheaply priced.....
anyone shoot this cal. and what do you think of it ????
is there a preferred / best 50 cal. upper availible ??? for a fair price ???
Thanks , Gopher711
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:58:27 AM EDT
is it .50AE or .50 Beowulf? I have yet to see a 50AE upper from them, but I havent really looked.
They claim it can use standard GI mags. I am a little skeptical of this because of poor luck that I have had in the past with other "mag conversions"

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:13:16 AM EDT
Never seen or heard of one in .50AE...are you sure it isn't .50 Beowolf?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 8:42:50 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]

heres my beowulf.

theres a section for ar variants which discuss the beowulf along with other various caliburs.

if i recall correctly there is a .50ae and theres the .50beo.

i have the beowulf and it's a blast to shoot!!!! heavy hitter all around, mags work great, shoots really good, fun, great conversation piece, real head turner at the range and i love it!

i have had great result with 30rd thermolds,usgi 20's, the promag 20 that came with it and some england mags that i have.

i bought mine as a complete rifle so i could have the .50 beo stamped on the lower but i got a smoking deal on mine! paid around $850 for the complete beowulf rifle but now i have been seeing the complete rifle go for no less than $1k, uppers i have seen are around $700

click here to be directed to the variants forum
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT
I go with the .499LWR from Leitner-Wise. They are building some for me in the following configurations

This is a 12" SBR on a FA lower with the Grenadier ARM-R rail. Mine will have a M93B MSS, MIAD, flip ups bow and stern and a can.

Mine will probably run a MIAD and a M93 or M95 stock. 18' DMR with a Lothar-Walther match barrel.

Top-notch but they don't come cheap. The upper alone is over $1300 but they do run on L-W's gas-piston and their Advanced Combat Bolt designed to handle .50s.

They have .499 specific steel magazines in 10, 13 and 22 round caps. The last is enterign production at this time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:28:21 AM EDT
That's some good lookin' iron there !!!
One more question I have is ....the 50 Beowolf or 499 cal.s are these a short case bullet like the 444 marlin or are these a large necked down case like the 50BMG and what kind of trajectory can one expect out of say a 16 / 20" barrel ?? The kits I saw were from Cabella's or Cheaper than Dirt ??? trying to remember
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:35:44 PM EDT
Iron? None on mine except some stainless steel bolts and barrels. And 'iron' sights too I guess. Oh heck...and the mags.

The .499LWR is pretty much a purpose designed straight-walled case and trying to cut down brass to fit just won't work because the rim is rebated. LWRC spent a lot of time and blew out a lot of brass developing the casing but they've sorted it out now. The case has a radiused interior for extra strength.

The round steps out at 2,200 fps and delivers a whopping 3,300 foot pounds of energy (4275J) on the 18" barrel. Bullet drop is an issue at longer ranges but the extended range firing (>600m) they've done with it suggests that as long as your optics are set up right, you can manage the problem. The projectile has a high l:d ratio and this contibutes to a pretty decent ballistic coefficient. That and the 300 grain+ projectiles are very resistant to wind drift and they are consistently getting something like 1MOA at 400m with the DMR.

You can get brass from Leitner-Wise directly. I've seen bags and boxes of the stuff just lying around their place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:50:09 PM EDT
I have a .50AE and a .458SOCOM by a company that shut down shortly after I bought them.

But the Tromix company out of OK made me a good deal.

They both use G.I. mag body, but for the .50AE, I had to go with a modified mag follower and a ramp in the front part of the mag itself.

Pat

If you have any questions, e-mail me. Sorry no pictures, I didn't feel like fighting with the system.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:22:52 PM EDT
Or you could always go with a 50 BMG. Those are a blast. Whoo-Hoooo
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:14:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mrraley:
I have a .50AE and a .458SOCOM by a company that shut down shortly after I bought them.

But the Tromix company out of OK made me a good deal.

They both use G.I. mag body, but for the .50AE, I had to go with a modified mag follower and a ramp in the front part of the mag itself.

Pat

If you have any questions, e-mail me. Sorry no pictures, I didn't feel like fighting with the system.

Tony only closed shop for a short while, he's back in business
Tromix website
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:06 PM EDT
Here is a photo of yours truely doing a partial 13 round mag dump with a Leitner-Wise .499 equipped with our rail.

Pic of .499 LW round compared to a standard 5.56 round (note the BFR handgun chambered in .499 LW Perfect for CCW)

Top Top