Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2002 12:27:05 PM EDT
Ok folks for those who are interested I bought myslef a 50 Beowulf Upper at the Guns how in Springfield Ma. After leaving that highy restricted state without ammo. ( Got to luv mass.) I went to a local shop where I was shocked to pay 24.95 for a 20 round box of 325 grain hollow point ( I was told to expect $2.00 a round. As soon as the scope I ordered gets here I will give a range report.
Overall finnish is nice . Fit on an Oly lower is was very tight and I used my dremel to polish the finnish off the inside of the takedown lugs and everything fits nicely. I will let you know how it goes

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
nhgunnut,

If you can write a well-written complete review, and take some cool pics, I'd be happy to publish it as an article on my site(www.defensereview.com--main index page).  Here are a few direct links to existing articles on my site, so you can see roughly what yours would look like:

FN Five-seveN Pistol Article:
defensereview.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2

Tactical Shooting Article:
www.defensereview.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=5

History of Shooting Methods in U.S. Article:
defensereview.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1

Anyway, let me know.

David

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased a Beowulf upper as well. I've been paying $19.50/box for the 325 gr. Hollow Points.

The 400 grain flat-nose rounds are going for about $38/box around here.....I've been sticking with the 325's for that reason.

Apparently there is also a Military Ball load but it's not for sale to the public.....The load data does come with the .50Beo Reloading Die set. I'm going to be tooling up to reload this round in the next couple months.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=VTDefender&album_id=99473&image_id=1&courtesy=1

So far I have tried USGI and Thermold magazines and they both have functioned flawlessly with no modification to the feed lips....I had read that the lips needed to be bent a bit to work but that was not the case in my Experience. I have also read about different capacities for the .50beo in USGI 30 rounders ranging from 9rds to 14rds.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=VTDefender&album_id=99473&image_id=2&courtesy=1

I can fit exactly TEN rounds in either USGI or thermolds. So far I have put about 200 rounds through the Alexander Arms upper without a single malfunction. I mounted an old Tasco PDP2T3(soon to be replaced with spare Aimpoint Comp XD) on it and now that it's dialed in....it will ring a 4" swinging gong at 115 yards ten for ten.

We're taking bets on how long the Tasco will hold up to recoil...which BTW is far more manageable than I imagined it would be.

My 120lb wife put a couple mags through it as well and handled the recoil with ease.....minor bruising...but thats how she likes it;)

Yup....I love this thing!!!

remember to SAVE YOUR BRASS :)

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me start by saying that I am not a professional writer and I would not describe my self as any kind of weapons expert. I am a health care professional that enjoys shooting and hunting. That said, my awareness of the 50 Beowulf begins about 2 weeks ago when a friend and I wandered into a small gun shop here in southwestern New Hampshire and noticed a AR15 with an ungodly huge bore. When I asked about it I was told it was the product of Alexander Arms and that is was available as a complete rifle or just an upper. He also told me that it was throwing a 325 grain hollow point at 1950 feet per second, and that the 400 grain round was leaving a 16 inch barrel at 1800 fps.  All of this was impressive so I went home got online and read that the round had been developed for the armed services as a "Entry / Barricade" gun? So when last Saturday I come across an upper for $599 at the gun show in Springfield MA my impulse control disorder comes into play and lo and behold I am headed home with it. I grabbed a Olympic lower and promptly discovered that the fit of both the front and rear "push" takedown pins was very tight. Being a determined I used my Dremel to polish the finish off of the inside of the lugs on the upper, this eliminated the problem. My next concern came when I seated the empty magazine (it appears to be a modified Olympic steel 10 rounder) and tried to cycle the gun only to have the bolt jam about a third of the way back I had to hit the forward assist and drop the magazine to cycle the bolt. At the range today I discovered no such problem exists with a loaded magazine. So after grabbing a cheap let me say again CHEAP Leapers 3x9 compact scope off of a SKS, I headed to the range today to try this puppy out. The first thing I noticed is the rifle seems much lighter than either of my other two AR's ( I didn't weigh it) this was important a bit later but I will get back to that. For those unfamiliar with the upper it is a flat top with a stepped 16 inch barrel  with a 1 in 19 and what appear to be standard carbine hand guards. Mine is on a Olympic forged lower with a A2 stock. As I said earlier on top of this I put a riser and a 3x9 scope. At the range after setting targets at 50 and 100 yards I sat down at the bench with he rifle and using the 50-yard target was able to "get rounds on the paper". Then I zeroed the scope for a hundred yards this process took 9 shots from the bench. I should mention here that I was using the 325 grain jacketed hollow points. To test for accuracy I fired 2 more groups of 3 from the bench  one 1.25 in size and the other just under 1.5. I thought this was very impressive for a 16-inch gun. Next tried some off hand shots at the 100 yard gong. Here is where the weight comes in. While sitting at the bench I said something to the effect of " The recoils not bad it’s like a 20 gauge shotgun” Well here is the deal folks an improperly shouldered 20 gauge will hurt you! You guessed it, being used to the 223 after the first couple of well placed shots I got sloppy and this light gun with far to short of pull for me thumped my shoulder good. Through all of this the gun functioned without a flaw. That said here are my impressions.
With Ammo being around $25. a box of 20 I don't think this will ever be my plinker.(I am ordering dies though) I will be adding a stock extension kit. The gun cries out for a muzzle brake of some kind. (any ideas guys?) I may very well use this gun for deer or possibly bear this year. What a fun gun!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to dremel two different Bushmaster uppers to get them to mate with 2 preban Oly lowers....Mags still don't seat right in one of them and the other works fine with USGI but can't seat thermolds. I think I'm going to send one of them back to Oly for their "Remanufacture deal.

The Alexander Arms upper DID fit perfectly onto a DPMS lower I had lying around with no modification.

The A2 stock with it's little "teeth" don't help with the .50Beo.

I ordered an Ace ARFX stock with the rubber buttpad from DSA. The rubber buttpad and foam cheekpiece I'm hoping will make the Beowulf more pleasant for buddies shooting it.

Glad someone else likes their .50 Beo as much as I do!!

Cheers from VT nhgunnut!

Nice groups! I haven't put mine on paper yet but am anxious to do so after reading your review.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Best be spending time on that reloading press and less time posting, VTDEFENDER...I'm going to wanna try that .50 next time we hit the range!

Rob
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
VTDEFENDER  Where you buying your Ammo? I can See Brattleboro from my front porch, if it is within an hour of here I am there
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
where can you get these?

oz
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
GreenMountainPatriot: I'll bring it to EA next friday if we're back on 6-3. I sent Erika out there yesterday with the SSG but nobody showed :(  

nhgunnut: I got the ammo from Parro's Gun Shop in Waterbury for that price. I bought him out but he should have more coming in this week.

The Powderhorn in Williston is also selling 325gr for $21.95/box and 400gr for $38.95/box(haven't bought any of that yet...price is just a little excessive).

Ozmodiar: When I first tried to order my upper there was a 4-6 week wait on them......I found an FFL who pulled some strings and got me one in three days.

http://www.impactguns.com is selling full rifles, uppers and ammo but I think they're backordered right now...haven't checked in a while. I have no idea which distributor mine ended up coming through.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Ozmodair I am not sure where it is in relationship to you, but Alstead gunshop has a an upper their # 603 835 6122
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
nhgunnut,

If I were you, I would contact OPS Inc. and AWC.  AWC makes something called the Hyperdine II, but I don't know if they could make it in .50 Cal.  OPS Inc is a military contractor, but they might be able to do something for you.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
DavidCrane

Please pardon my ignorance, but would you you have a web address for Ops Inc or AWC?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
nhgunnut:
AWC Systems Technologies site is at www.awcsystech.com.  OPS Inc doesn't have a website.  They're primarily a military contractor. They supply virtually all the military's long-range rifle suppressors, as well as some muzzle brakes--particularly for the DMR(specialized M14) and other specialized sniper rifles.

If you send me an email at [email protected], I will reply to you with OPS Inc's contact info.  Only contact them if you are seriously interested in actually purchasing a muzzle brake.  They are very busy over there.

VTDefender:
Who makes the Ace stock, and what is their URL?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#14]
nhgunnut,

Did you visit my site yet?  What did you think?

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top