Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 11:01:54 PM EDT
Which one should i get and why? whats the deal with other (.499 cal) big AR uppers? Are they any good?

I had my heart set on a meaty 50BMG, but i'm openminded to alternatives, since 50bmg would require the purchase of a completely new rifle (more expensive than an upper), and it would most likely be bolt action.

I don't know sh!t about reloading, but i was expecting that i'd have to once i went with such large (and expensive) caliber. Please enlighten me on the art of reloading if you can. I was thinking about the getting Lee anniversary kit...would that work for those calibers?

However, the reloading issue doesn't matter to me nearly as much as how each one of these performs.

Sorry about the long post, and thanks for your replies in advance!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You really can't compare  the 50bmg upper with the other two. Yes,they will use the same lower,but the other two will let you use the mag as well! Giving you 6-8 shots instead of the single shot 50bmg.So alot depends on how you are gonna use the rifle. If you just want a long-range tackdriver.....take the 50bmg.If you want one heck of a grizzley gun (haha) choose between the other two!!

I for one,am gonna wait and see which of the two that the mainstream ammo mfgs. embrace!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
So what are some ballistic information on these three calibers?
Does anyone have any information about what "practical" (hehehe) uses these have; i.e. Putting holes in engine blocks, penetrating concrete/steel, fragmentation and wound ballistics.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=177026]16" barreled 458 SOCOM [/url]will shoot (Actual Chronograph results):
300 grain bullets @ 2000 FPS
405 grain bullets @ 1700 FPS
500 grain bullets @ 1450 FPS

Not sure about the real ballistics of the Beowulf. Alexander arms posts some stuff on their web page.
Very similar to 45-70, and gets you 12 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. (Or Full Auto if you are so inclined...)

Great for hunting pigs in TX, because they often travel in packs, and there is no limit!

Practical uses? Well It's kinda like the practical uses of a Hummer H2 using the same drive train as a Suburban. If you want to get from point-a to point-b, then you COULD drive a moped...

I use the Lee Anniversary kit with CH4D dies to reload. Works Great! I would suggest upgrading to a digital scale.

The cool thing about .458 vs. .500 is the bullet selection. Most major bullet manufacturers have one or MORE .458 bullets, but VERY FEW make .500. (50 BMG is .510) This Might start to change with the 500 S&W Magnum, but only time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a B-wolf and it is OK. I don't shoot it very much. The recoil starts to mess me up.

It depends what you want. The B-wolf and SOCOM are easier to hod and travel with. If you need the long range and your going to sit in one spot get the 50BMG.

Reloading..The B-Wolf and I think SOCOM you don't need a separate reloading machine. I have the dies and reload the B-Wolf on a Hornady projector or on a lee single stage with no problem.

Finding the shells and bullets for the B-Wolf is another story. At least 50 BMG are easier to get.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
458 SOCOM.  See spongeman66's reply....

There is more if you can search there are about 8 topics where we hash the big bore, sub-50BMG, uppers out.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
LW 499, 16 projectiles, factory ammunition only (no reloading) in military service, cheaper ammo costs (when comparing factory prices) available anywhere in 5 days.  Another option?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top