Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 6:01:16 PM EDT
Newbie curiousity here...I've narrowed down my search of rail handguards to (2) that I found on one of the sponsor sites here...Bravo Co.

They list the:

MI #17 (Midwest Industries) 2-piece tactical (non-FF) on their site reg. price - 159.95    Special price -  $129.95

- or -

YHM - 2 Piece 4 Rail Handguard (again, non-FF) reg. price $147.95  Special price - $109.95

I am still curious as to whether or not heat is an issue with the rail handguards.  After reading a few of the threads on the forum, it seems that the heat issue is in the hands of the beholders...some feel it, some don't.  

I've seen some rail systems advertizing heat shields along with their handguards.  Neither of the two above have them, so I was wondering if they are even necessary.  And for those who have either of the handguards above, which one do you suggest?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Slo
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...I guess this one is going to require further research on my own.  Or a coin toss or two.
Thanks anyway.

Slo
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the YHM two piece and I like it alot.  It is very solid and does not get too hot even though it is a dissipator.  I do have rail covers (and a VFG) which make any warmth barely perceptible.  I did not have a problem with mounting the TD VFG as some others have.

I have read good things about the MI unit and have been very happy with other products of theirs that I have.  I probably would have gone with it but the rifle length is not available yet.

I think you would be happy with either.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey,

Thank you for the replies, info, and the welcome.  

I plan to install the rails on a Bushy A2 carbine for now, to make it a bit more user friendly, and allow me to attach a vertical grip and light.  (I know, I know...shoulda got the A3 to begin with hase
So far, this forum has been great for finding the info, pics, and ideas.

Again, thank you for the feedback and welcome.

Slo
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
If you buy another upper for it...you WILL get another lower for that said upper. Just the way things are.

As for your original Q: I have a set of the YHM 2-piece rail on my 20" J&T upper, and I couldnt be happier with it. I use ladder type rail covers aswell as panel type and a Tango Down Vert Grip. Heat is not an issue.
Midwest Industries makes excellent products too, but were not available when I bought my YHM

BravoCompany is an excellent company to deal with. I usually only order small stuff from them being in state and the whole tax thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top