Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 2:50:43 PM EDT
I'd imagine that this subject has been addressed, but I couldn't find anything by search (I only have access for last 30 days search).

I'm new to red-dot optics. I bought a Burris XTS-135, which seemed like a pretty good red dot. However, I just figured I wanted the longer battery life of an Aimpoint, so I sold it. It had a 3 MOA which seemed pretty cool.

Anyway, I'm going to put this on a 10.5" LMT (once my darn paperwork gets back). I'll be shooting mostly at 50 - 100 yds. I'd also like to shoot accurately.

So, would there really be a difference between the 4 & 2 MOA? What do most people prefer? I've heard that the 4 MOA can turn into a big cluster of "red grapes." Will I still be able to hit metal sihlouettes at 200-300 yds with the 4 MOA (provided I do my part as the shooter)?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:14 PM EDT
I like the 2moa aimpoint. It's really just a matter of preference ; but I like the smaller dot for shooting things at the far end of the range and it's just as quick.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:49:23 PM EDT
I got two M2's the other day...and a 4MOA dot is pretty damn small IMHO....anything smaller I'd have a hard time finding in the scope.

4MOA = 4" at 100yds 8" at 200yds and 12" at 300yds....i dunno about you but thats still MOM (minute of man)

2MOA = 2" at 100yds 4" at 200yds and 6" at 300yds....while that sounds groovy and all, I personally would have a harder time picking up the dot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:42 PM EDT
When both optics are at full power, I can barely tell a difference. They are both small. When the power is dialed down you can tell a LITTLE bit more. If you ever plan on putting a magnifier behind it, thats when the 2 MOA will shine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:09:05 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:27:40 PM EDT
I went with an ML3 instead of an ML2 just so I could get the 2 moa dot (and longer battery life). I think the smaller dot will make it easier to shoot more accurately at longer ranges (it will obscure the target less), and even with the 2 moa dot target aquisition is fast and easy at shorter ranges.
Top Top