Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2004 10:48:54 AM EDT
who else makes a upper in 45acp other than olympic arms....?  any mags other than the 45uzi mags work?...thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
BUMPED....cuz I want one too.
I keep seeing an add in Shotgun News
from a company called Jeff's Shooter Supply in
Trussville, Alabama. He has an integrally suppressed
.45 ACP upper for $959.00  Has anyone here ever shot one
of these?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
of these?

Thats almost certainly a modified Olympic upper. Nobody else makes a .45 upper at this time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
no i havent shot one but i handled one at a gun show in mobile alabama where he was at...quite nice but i didnt ask the manufacturer of the reciver
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
of these?

I haven't seen his .45 upper, but my first 9mm AR was one of Jeff's; I had quite a few problems.  The fit and finish were terrible, and he advertised the gun with parts that he did not have (mag blocks and deflector).  I would not do business with him again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is the LaFrance .45 AR?  You would think that with the end of the AWB, and the obvious market for this type of firearm, he would show some interest in bringing it to market.

www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2500/2554.htm

This was the best (and only, in my book) attempt at the .45cal AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
who else makes a upper in 45acp other than olympic arms....?  any mags other than the 45uzi mags work?...thanks

Only Oly makes the uppers.  There are mag options.   First if you wish to use minimally modified 30 round greasegun mags you can run them with a Cav arms Mk2 lower and heavy buffer, the mag blocks are easy to build yourself.  If you're ready to more heavily modify M3 greasegun mags you can make them work in a standard lower receiver.  I've butchered 2 mags and learned just how to do it right.   Cav has my upper right now so I cant test the magazines to see if they run but I'm confident they will.   The Uzi mag is only acceptable due to it's lighter weight and it's shorter than the GG mags.  The downside to uzi mags is that they cost so damned much and only hold 15 shots, sure it says 16 but it's a MF getting that in there and I wasnt ever able to chamber that round as it was jammed in so tight.   Btw, M3 mags are only $15each.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
LaFrance isn't very attentive to the civilian market. I have only ever seen one, and that was an NFA upper, not even the whole gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LaFrance isn't very attentive to the civilian market. I have only ever seen one, and that was an NFA upper, not even the whole gun.

That's for sure.  They must have modled after HK.....

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only Oly makes the uppers.  There are mag options.   First if you wish to use minimally modified 30 round greasegun mags you can run them with a Cav arms Mk2 lower and heavy buffer, the mag blocks are easy to build yourself.  If you're ready to more heavily modify M3 greasegun mags you can make them work in a standard lower receiver.  I've butchered 2 mags and learned just how to do it right.   Cav has my upper right now so I cant test the magazines to see if they run but I'm confident they will.   The Uzi mag is only acceptable due to it's lighter weight and it's shorter than the GG mags.  The downside to uzi mags is that they cost so damned much and only hold 15 shots, sure it says 16 but it's a MF getting that in there and I wasnt ever able to chamber that round as it was jammed in so tight.   Btw, M3 mags are only $15each.

Yup
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Mr45
So what you're syaing is I can make GG mags work in an unmodified reciever? Like, say, a Colt RR M16?
So can you get a pistol style Oly 45 upper?
As far as weight goes, an AR w/GG mag has got to be less than a Thompson w/30rd mag.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
mr 45 so you can use gg mags what is the modification ...please explain the modifican if not to complicated....thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
mr 45 so you can use gg mags what is the modification ...please explain the modifican if not to complicated....thanks

They are notched so that the original AR mag catch can fuction.  It is similar to the UZI mags being notched for use in the Colt style 9mm's.

Mr. Hahn, who makes a block for the 9mm system has come up w/ a paddle style block for the Cav using unmodified GG mags.  Testing is till going on.

Quoted:
Mr45
So what you're syaing is I can make GG mags work in an unmodified reciever? Like, say, a Colt RR M16?
So can you get a pistol style Oly 45 upper?
As far as weight goes, an AR w/GG mag has got to be less than a Thompson w/30rd mag.

Not ANY lower.  It has to be the Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII.  The center mag well portion is wider so that wide mags like the GG mag can fit w/out mods.  Only "issue" is that a mag block did not exist when the lower was released that allowed the GG mags to be used.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, ANY lower.  Not just the Cav Mk2.  I have tried the mag in both my DPMS and cast Dalphon lowers.  I am using the old oly modified M3 mag setup.   I milled off the spotwelds on the reinforcement piece on the top of the mag then took a cutting wheel on my angle grinder and cut around the feed lips so I could leave that reinforcement on.  I then ground down the width of the top section of the mag a little at a time until it fit the aluminum lower.   I still need to weld on a piece on the back of the mag like the Oly/Uzi mags have so I can use the standard mag catch.  It takes awhile and risks destroying the mag but if you're careful you can do it.  When I get my upper back I'll test the system and see how it works.   Using a Cav Mk2 is much simpler and is probably a better solution for most folks.   My mag blocks for the Cav allow you to use the stock mag catch by cutting a slot in the mag.   Very easy mod for that one.  You can modify 2 piece 9mm blocks for that and then pin them into your Cav lower.  It dedicates the lower for the caliber but should also work for .40s&w  I modded a M3 mag by bending the feed lips in and it held 34? cant remember exactly.   Anyhow if I had a .40 upper the same lower would do double duty.  

I've also heard you can modify sten 9mm mags to work with .45acp but they only hold 15 rounds but they are alot cheaper than Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Opppssss.....my bad....
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Mr 45Auto-  Would mind posting or e-mailing some pics of your modified GG mags?  I had that idea myself, but if I see some pics of yours I might get it right on the first of second attempt.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Sure, I can post pics as soon as I get the use of my hand back.  Get carpal tunnel surgery today at 2pm so it'll probably be a day or two until I can do it.  The mag's kind of ugly right now but that's primarily due to only grinding it with the wheel on my angle grinder.  I need to clean it up on a belt sander or something to take down the roughness.   Btw, I've only used a blued mag, not one of the parked ones so I dont know if there's any difference in the thickness of steel used on them.

usamark had posted some pics of an original smooshed Oly M3 mag here, maybe he could post another pic?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a pic of a couple of modified GG mags.

The one on the left was done by RASE for use with their mag well block set up.  It was sold in machine gun news in the late 80's early 90's if I remember right.

The one on the right was made for the mag well blocks I currently use in my cav arms lower.

The RASE ones are pretty neat but the mags do not drop free and are a tight fit when fully loaded and the metal at the top is THIN.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's what the Olympic/Dalphon mags looked like:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, with the ban done and gone (for now), it is once again legal to hack up mags to fit in other guns.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top