Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 6:38:38 AM EST
I'm looking at building an 45 ACP and was wondering if I should do it now or wait a little bit to see if anyone comes out with anything new that will accept hi-cap mags? Right now it seems like the only option is an Olympic brand with uzi modified mags. Does anyone know of something else in the works or should I go ahead and start with the Olympic? Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:39:12 AM EST
Depend on whether you want a dedicated pistol caliber AR or the do everything AR?????????????
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:02:04 PM EST
A dedicated pistol caliber AR is what I would like.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:11:49 PM EST
I have a Cav arms Mk2 with home built mag blocks allowing the use of cheap 30 round M3 mags. My M3 setup self destructed from using too light a buffer. Presently Cav arms is working on a buffer that will work with .45acp and not destroy the lower. I'd give em time to work it out but I definitely think they will. One thing to consider though is that 30 rounds of 230gr ball is heavier than hell. The Uzi 16 shot mags are definitely lighter. You could build mag blocks allowing unmodified mags. Anyhow the Cav Mk2/M3 mags seems to me as the best setup. After seeing the destruction of mine from the buffer bottoming out I definitely reccomend buying the heaviest buffer you can find regardless of whether you use a Cav lower or an off the shelf aluminum lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:23:57 PM EST
Mr45auto

Any idea when Cav arms might have the buffer ready? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:57:04 PM EST
There's a buffer thread in the Industry section Cav arms forum. I'm sure they could let you know and the topic can always use a bump every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:58:07 PM EST
I am looking into manufacting my dedicated 45caliber AR. I have tried it out at the Indiana Subgun Match and will be shooting it in the Knob Creek Subgun Match this Oct. So far the only probelm that I have had was a faulty mag. I haven't firgured out how to download pictures onto this site yet but I have included a link.

45CaliberARProject
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:42:50 PM EST
Looks like a very cool piece. Might you be making non-nfa versions? What kind of upper parts are you using? We need details I can see that you are using m3 mags... seems to be a popular choice. I was hoping someone would come up with a workable system for using thompson mags, for two reasons - 1: choice of 20 and 30 round magazines (30+ rounds of 45acp is HEAVY, and a quite long magazine), and 2: easier to load double column feed. But I'm still interested to know more about your system, a good workable 45acp ar has been a long wait. At least until a post-sunset ump/usc derivative makes it to market (not holding my breath).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:30:01 PM EST
The choice to use Grease Gun mags was an easy one. First to use the Thompson mags you would have to modify both the upper and lower reciever to accept the wider mags. As you said the Grease Gun mags feed into a single column so only the lower needs to be modified. the second reason for me to use Grease Gun mags was that I already had twenty of them plus they can be found for about $8ea.
The nice thing about an AR is they function semi or full so a non-NFA AR is no problem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:35:41 AM EST
I think I'm gonna try cutting one of my M3 mags and making a 20ish shot mag. Might be hard to get the length exact without chopping up multiple magazines. When I get my setup back up and running I'll test it out. The 30's are great but very heavy. I wonder if someone will make an entirely new magazine designed for this conversion now that the ban has gone..... ??? Maybe an insert for AR mags? Hmmm.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:35:31 PM EST
Mr 45Auto- have you thought about trying one of the Oly Arms pneumatic adjustable buffers? I'm interested in building a setup similar to yours. I just can't pay $100 for a high cap mag for my 45 upper! I was considering trading in my old style Cav arms lower, but I see that Armalite is selling Cav Arms lowers for $95.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:59:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wirebrush:
Mr 45Auto- have you thought about trying one of the Oly Arms pneumatic adjustable buffers? I'm interested in building a setup similar to yours. I just can't pay $100 for a high cap mag for my 45 upper! I was considering trading in my old style Cav arms lower, but I see that Armalite is selling Cav Arms lowers for $95.

No I havent tried any other buffers, Cav has my setup and they are testing to see what works best. I guess I'll go with what they say works I think they'll get it worked out, they arent noobies at this game, it was my first pistol caliber build and I didnt think about buffer weight until it was too late.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:53:17 AM EST
The MGI RRB buffer works just fine with 45ACP.
It is a heavy(7 oz.) buffer with tungsten sliding weights inside, and a short plunger to make counter-acting motion to alleviate recoil.
It works great with 5.56, 9mm, 45ACP, 40S&W, 10mm, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf, 7.62x39, 6PPC, 6.8SPC, and many others.
It self-adjusts, and uses no hydraulics or anything else that could leak.
Virtually a universal buffer that works in practically any caliber which fits on an AR platform.
Reduces rate of fire in M16.
Reduces recoil in any AR15/M16 in any caliber.
Slows cycling for better reliability.
Eliminates bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:28:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By eisman:
I am looking into manufacting my dedicated 45caliber AR. I have tried it out at the Indiana Subgun Match and will be shooting it in the Knob Creek Subgun Match this Oct. So far the only probelm that I have had was a faulty mag. I haven't firgured out how to download pictures onto this site yet but I have included a link.

45CaliberARProject

Right click on the pic and save/copy the address then use the Image icon in your post reply to past the address then post

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:31:12 PM EST
Top Top