Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2011 4:59:00 PM EDT
1. cost of upper? 2. cost and availability of ammo? 3. ballistic performance? 4.special mag needed or standard AR? thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
450 B  can be had for about $550 on sale various time of the year..  Ammo (not many choices though- Hornady make some and Remington is bringing out the corelokt and another type ) is about $26/20   Pmags can be converted easily to single stack for use with teh 450b..

458S has the most expensive ammo and 50B is hard to find at times... Not sure on upper cost though..
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I own all three and haven't shot either enough to make a single recommedation yet, but which ever you decide, I highly recommend that you load your own.  All three of mine have shot MOA or better at 100 yds with handloads.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
450 B  can be had for about $550 on sale various time of the year..  Ammo (not many choices though- Hornady make made some and Remington is bringing out the corelokt and another type ) is about $26/20   Pmags can be converted easily to single stack for use with teh 450b..

458S has the most expensive ammo and 50B is hard to find at times... Not sure on upper cost though..

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
.458.  It's the only one that headspaces off of the shoulder.  Also has a much better bullet selection available.  Works from standard AR mags.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
450 B  can be had for about $550 on sale various time of the year..  Ammo (not many choices though- Hornady make made some and Remington is bringing out the corelokt and another type ) is about $26/20   Pmags can be converted easily to single stack for use with teh 450b..

What is that suppose to mean?  Hornady isn't producing 450 B anymore? Its always in stock at the Dundee, MI Cabelas but if they don't make it any more. . .  

MidwayUSA has Hornady available as well as Cheaper Than Dirt

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Still on their (Hornady's) website too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF does that mean?

You would think that as the guy running the only 450b website, frequented by the guy that designed it I would have heard of this... I have not.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.458.  It's the only one that headspaces off of the shoulder.  Also has a much better bullet selection available.  Works from standard AR mags.

This
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

the 450b can shoot anything the 458 shoots, plus all the .452 bullets.

The brass is adapted from real rifle brass made to handle rifle powder charges and pressures, the 458 and the 50b are adapted from pistol brass.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#10]
MudBug wrote:

After being swaged. Lets tell the whole story. But, what you say is true (for the hand loader).

The brass is adapted from real rifle brass made to handle rifle powder charges and pressures, the 458 and the 50b are adapted from pistol brass.

There is no significance to this statement. All three operate within their design parameters, have no problems with brass and produce similar velocities when the same bullet weight is used (and test barrel lengths are the same).

All three are good variations.  I chose the SOCOM over the other two...for a variety of reasons, but NOT because it "spanks them", it does not, nor is the inverse true.

I hope this doesn't turn into ANOTHER mine is better than yours thread.

We all picked what we did for reasons that vary.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

MudBug wrote:

After being swaged. Lets tell the whole story. But, what you say is true (for the hand loader).

There is no significance to this statement. All three operate within their design parameters, have no problems with brass and produce similar velocities when the same bullet weight is used (and test barrel lengths are the same).

All three are good variations.  I chose the SOCOM over the other two...for a variety of reasons, but NOT because it "spanks them", it does not, nor is the inverse true.

I hope this doesn't turn into ANOTHER mine is better than yours thread.

We all picked what we did for reasons that vary.

I picked the 50 Beowulf because it was a 50.

I also handload, so ammo availability is not really an issue (at least until a wear out my brass). I must admit that if I did not own the 50 Beowulf, I would seriously consider the .458 Socom today, if only because I have a bunch of bullets for my .458 Win Mag rifle (apparently I must have thought I was going to have an infestation of cape buffalo when I put in a bid on a large ammo can full of assorted .458 bullets ).

The 450 Bushmaster never appealed to me because of the lighter weight bullets intended for that round. Shrug.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF does that mean?

You would think that as the guy running the only 450b website, frequented by the guy that designed it I would have heard of this... I have not.

rumor around the campfire.  Does not mean anything beyond what it says.  Big Green still behind the 450, can't get a bigger backer than that...
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with the .50 Beowulf because, well it's a .50

Actually I looked at all 3 very closely and was at a dead heat with them. I reload so ammo availability and cost weren't an issue. You don't get into the big bores for cheap plinking anyway. The headspace on the shoulder issue isn't one which concerned me as I always size and trim brass and run it through a case gauge. I was leaning toward the .458 when a trade opportunity happened to pop up locally for a Beowulf and I jumped on it. I was looking more at the .458 due to bullet options and availability of the uppers. The .458 and .50 both run well with unaltered PMags which is a plus. They are close enough in ballistics for that not to matter much either.

That said, I couldn't be happier with my .50. It's a great shooter, more accurate than I am, been 100% reliable and gets a lot of attention at the range.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
i am leaning toward 458 socom because it uses unaltered AR mags which i have a pile of . also,ammo availability which i checked on midway usa. 1 offered for the 450 bushy, 5 offered for the beowulf(all alex arms manu) and 24 offerings for the socom by many manufacturers! i don't reload now but this and the 460 S+W may lead me in that direction!
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if the 458 is the direction you're leaning reloading is almost a must.  Looking at the MidwayUSA options of 458 they average $60 a box with the cheapest coming in at $44 a box on sale . . . ouch!

The 450B can use Sig 556 mags which are about $15 a pop (2 pack run around $30).  After a single box of Bushmaster you saved enough to buy a two pack of magazines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[quote[rumor around the campfire.  Does not mean anything beyond what it says.  Big Green still behind the 450, can't get a bigger backer than that...

Well it says you changed it to past tense, as if Hornady is no longer making ammo for the 450B.  As far as I'm concerned, Hornady ammo is still on the shelf, and on their website, so if you have something more than rumors I'd love to hear it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say .458 for the win

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#18]
just curious . has anybody had any success loading 500-600 grain sub sonics in a 450 bushmaster? and on the flip side how do the .451 jacketed bullets shoot . reason for asking is I have a huge stash of 230 grain fmj for loading my 45 acp.
velocity and accuracy would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
...i don't reload now but this and the 460 S+W may lead me in that direction!

The 450 Bushmaster shares the same bullets that you use for the 460 S&W so if you haven't decided yet, that might be a good reason for you to prefer to 450 Bushmaster.  I have a similar scenario since I like to shoot the 454 Casull and the bullets I load into that cartridge are also useful in the 450 Bushmaster.

Just something to keep in mind for when you eventually decide to reload you own cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have shot many a 45 acp bullet out of my 450b.  Accuracy? Bout' an inch @100yds.  Velocity I can't say as didn't have my chrony set up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
just curious . has anybody had any success loading 500-600 grain sub sonics in a 450 bushmaster? and on the flip side how do the .451 jacketed bullets shoot . reason for asking is I have a huge stash of 230 grain fmj for loading my 45 acp.

I don't know what the twist rate (barrel) is for the Bushy, but you may want to check and see if it is fast enough to stabilize the longer/slower/heavier bullets.  It might be, I don't know, but do check.

Flint

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what the twist rate (barrel) is for the Bushy, but you may want to check and see if it is fast enough to stabilize the longer/slower/heavier bullets.  It might be, I don't know, but do check.

Flint

450 BM is 1 in 24.  Suspect that anything over 450 will be less than stable but MudBug would be the right person to ask as he may have shot stuff in the 500-600 range
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Ohhhh....  I was set on the 50 but now I'm questioning a 450 Bushy...

I suppose what got my attention was shooting .45 ACP bullets; I could make rounds for super cheap for plinking.

I have no idea about the 450; what are the bullet weights it digests and at what velocity?  Does anyone have a comparison chart for the three rifles?

I do handload but am not familiar with these at all; specifically, I'm not sure (other than the .45 ACP rounds) what the 450 shoots (organic bullets) and what the 50 shoots - ie, what bullets does it shoot (what were they originally "intended" for?).
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flint

450 BM is 1 in 24.  Suspect that anything over 450 will be less than stable but MudBug would be the right person to ask as he may have shot stuff in the 500-600 range

I have seen testing done with 550 grn bullets, 500 grn hardcast bullets w/gas checks, and 405 grn bullets in attempts to get a good subsonic load. I'm pretty sure that the guy had no issue with keyholing with the 550s but was considering giving up on them because the trajectory was like chucking a grapefruit.

I can't say for sure what the answer is though, most people that shoot the 450b are more interested in hunting loads and generally looking at the 250 grn to 350 grn bullets. There are lots of attempts to get good results with hardcast lead flat tips, brass bullets for the lead free zones, and cheap plinking ammo that shoots like the factory hornady stuff. Lots of swaging going on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the twist rate on most of your barrels?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ohhhh....  I was set on the 50 but now I'm questioning a 450 Bushy...

I suppose what got my attention was shooting .45 ACP bullets; I could make rounds for super cheap for plinking.

I have no idea about the 450; what are the bullet weights it digests and at what velocity?  Does anyone have a comparison chart for the three rifles?

I do handload but am not familiar with these at all; specifically, I'm not sure (other than the .45 ACP rounds) what the 450 shoots (organic bullets) and what the 50 shoots - ie, what bullets does it shoot (what were they originally "intended" for?).

The mfg ammo is 250 grain bullets (Hornady FTX / Remington Corelokt ) - but ppl are reloading stuff higher and lower..

Come on over to the 450B Forum - They have a reloading section which included downloadable spreadsheets on what loads ppl have come up with.

B
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#26]
MB,

Most folks shooting the 458 SOCOM use a 1 in 14" twist rate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MB,

Most folks shooting the 458 SOCOM use a 1 in 14" twist rate.

Thanks.

That's a big difference. I know Tim Legendre has mentioned that most of his dev was done with a different twist but Bushmaster chose 1:24 to be optimized for the hornady 250 grn bullet.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#28]
i built my lower over the weekend, RRA stripped lower and lpk, hogue grip and ace skeleton stock (nice soft butt pad!). ready to go when the right upper deal comes along in socom or bushy!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

+1 This
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a 450B barrel on the way, I chose it mostly on the fact that I can use .45 acp projectiles for re-loading since I have about 3000 on hand.  I almost bought the 50 beowulf but decided not to since the 450 would do all that I need it to do.  I think though once I get the 450B built I'm most definately going to get the .50 just for the fact that it's, well, hurls 1/2" pieces of lead down range!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Curiosity question; does the 50b or 450b shoot any bullets intended for rifles or do they come from pistol realm only?
Those using 45acp in your 450b, do you get bullet tumbling shooting past 50yds... or any pistol bullets for that matter?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Whay is everyone's opinion on the 50AE chambering
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whay is everyone's opinion on the 50AE chambering

Doesn't belong in an AR, hardly belongs in a semi-auto pistol. I think it has to do with the 'its a fiddy cal' mentality more than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]
.50 beo is a .50 and thus you have your choice of .500 S&W bullets to reload with, and some of those don't feed well.
.450 Bushmaster uses handgun diameter bullets.  Convenient if you reload, but you don't get the rifle bullet performance.

.458 Socom can use bullets from 250gr to 500+ grs and they are .458 RIFLE bullets.  You can load for plinkers to african animals...

If you just want to plink for cheap, get the .450 bushmaster.

If you want to hunt or want a wide range of performance, the 458 is the hot ticket...
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flint

I have seen testing done with 550 grn bullets, 500 grn hardcast bullets w/gas checks, and 405 grn bullets in attempts to get a good subsonic load. I'm pretty sure that the guy had no issue with keyholing with the 550s but was considering giving up on them because the trajectory was like chucking a grapefruit.

I can't say for sure what the answer is though, most people that shoot the 450b are more interested in hunting loads and generally looking at the 250 grn to 350 grn bullets. There are lots of attempts to get good results with hardcast lead flat tips, brass bullets for the lead free zones, and cheap plinking ammo that shoots like the factory hornady stuff. Lots of swaging going on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the twist rate on most of your barrels?

thank you for your reply .
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
.450 Bushmaster uses handgun diameter bullets.  Convenient if you reload, but you don't get the rifle bullet performance.

.458 Socom can use bullets from 250gr to 500+ grs and they are .458 RIFLE bullets.  You can load for plinkers to african animals...

If you want to hunt or want a wide range of performance, the 458 is the hot ticket...

Wrong.

Send me few of these .458 rifle bullets that you would REALLY use for hunting, and I'll post a video of me shooting them in my 450b.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
.50 beo is a .50 and thus you have your choice of .500 S&W bullets to reload with, and some of those don't feed well.

Actually there is even a 100 gr. bullet made by Lehigh for the SOCOM. So basically....100 gr. through 600 gr. are your choices (for the hand loader).

But, the Bushy is not to be outdone (if you hand-load) since you can swage most (if not all) .458 caliber bullets down to .451/.452, yes its an extra step or two, but it can be done.

Bullet selection was only ONE reason I chose the SOCOM.   All three offerings (BEO, BUSHY, SOCOM) have their strong points.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#38]
... ready to go when the right upper deal comes along in socom or bushy!

Cabela's has the 450 Bushmaster Upper for $549.

Item IK-229166, expected shipping in 5-6 weeks (due to backorder)
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Send me few of these .458 rifle bullets that you would REALLY use for hunting, and I'll post a video of me shooting them in my 450b.

@MudBug - how do you shoot bullets not intended for the 450b in a 450b? Is it something with your gun or are all 450b's this way?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I originally debated between 458 and 50b. I eventually went with 50b for a couple reasons. I wanted to build my own (with a little help from Marty, thanks Marty), at the time, I couldn't find a reasonably priced stainless barrel in 458, and I didn't want to buy a RRA, I wanted something a little better. I don't reload (yet) and the price of the 50b ammo was much cheaper. And, although I did like the better ballistic coefficient of the 458, I wasn't planning to shoot at anything over 200 yds, mainly home defense, and occasional deer/hog hunting.

I have 3 PRI .499 mags, an Alexander Arms 50b mag, and several PMags that I’ve run ammo through. The very first time I fired it after finishing the upper, I had a stovepipe, but after that, not another malfunction from any of those mags.  But, if you put 10 rnds in a PMag, The plastic feed lips will bow, and the round will stick up higher in the front.  But once the mag is seated in the receiver, this didn’t cause an issue. Also, the 400grn soft points won't run in the PMags, the little plastic ridge on the front of the mag rubs on the tip of the bullet, but all the other factory rounds will (Haven’t tried the 300grn Speer, but I'm sure it would work fine.)

I love the Beo, and don’t regret it at all, but I think eventually I will get a .458 as well.  One can never have too many guns!
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.450 Bushmaster uses handgun diameter bullets. Convenient if you reload, but you don't get the rifle bullet performance.

.458 Socom can use bullets from 250gr to 500+ grs and they are .458 RIFLE bullets. You can load for plinkers to african animals...

Wrong.

@MudBug - how do you shoot bullets not intended for the 450b in a 450b? Is it something with your gun or are all 450b's this way?

Swage the bullets down to the necessary diameter.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

300 grn Barnes 0.458 on the left, swaged to 0.452 on the right.

300 grn Sierra Prohunter 0.458 on the left, swaged to 0.452 on the right.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.goobage.com/pics/barnes.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/sierra.jpg

Thats interesting...did not know that you could do that...are the .458 bullets just pushed through some sort of bullet resizing die?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.goobage.com/pics/barnes.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/sierra.jpg

Thats interesting...did not know that you could do that...are the .458 bullets just pushed through some sort of bullet resizing die?

Yes, I use a Lee lubing and resizing die.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#45]
MB, can you describe the swaging/resizing process.

If you have already done so in another thread, perhaps you can point us to it.

Are you able to swage/resize all bullets in a single pass, or do some need to be done in stages? (solid copper/brass bullets).

What is the cost of the equipment (most LEE products are very reasonable).

Thanks,

Flint
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
MB, can you describe the swaging/resizing process.

If you have already done so in another thread, perhaps you can point us to it.

Are you able to swage/resize all bullets in a single pass, or do some need to be done in stages? (solid copper/brass bullets).

What is the cost of the equipment (most LEE products are very reasonable).

Thanks,

Flint

This is the general idea, though he is using it to size and lube cast bullets

Yes, you sometimes need to do it in a couple steps, I have a .454 die and a .452 die.

Do not use the alox that comes with the kit, that is for lubing cast bullets. Instead just use the same lube you use for resizing brass on the bullets. I use dillon spray lube.

The Lee kit comes with everything you need plus one resizing die for about $17 - $20 (Here it is for $16.49), you would then need another die to finish. I bought mine from Lee for $12

I can do a box of 50 in maybe 20 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I chose the Beowulf...for multiple reasons.

1) At the time, I could find ammo for it, although scarce. The .450 was not yet on the market, although there had been articles on it. The .458 was an option, but at the time no major manufacturers were doing it, and all the people I talked to were 6-12 months backordered, after buying it, ammo became scarcer, but I reload, so started loading for it.

2) I lke the way that Alexander Arms handled problems a friend had with his Grendel, and the way they responded to my questions. I never had problems getting to talk to anyone there, even Bill Alexander.

3) Its a .50!

That said, I bought one, then sold it, then bought it back before the other guy even had a chance to buy ammo!  

It's probably my most fun gun to shoot, and the reaction from people all around is hilarious when they see what it does to stuff.

Factory ammo has once again become pretty widely available, so most everyone is able to buy it now.

It's accurate. sub MOA at 100 yards with my loads, and around 1 MOA with several of the factory loads.

ITS FUN!!!

Bill
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Oooooooh  ––- tough choice for me.    I handload for the .45 ACP, .45 Colt and .45/70.   Sounds like i have common bullets across the board for everything but the .50.    

I am going to head over to Midway's website and check out the difference in brass price.     The main plus for the .450 seems to be just being able to go pick up a box of Hornady's at Cabelas or Academy if you get ina bind and need some ammo fast without having to load up a batch
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top