Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 12/15/2003 11:00:38 AM EDT
Ok, so I've read through every thread about this round from the last 6 months. Now I gotta have one.

I'm curious though, can someone point me to a history of this round? Who created it and why; what was the design purpose, etc?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:18:04 AM EDT
[url=www.teppojutsu.com]Marty ter Weeme - Inventor[/url] Marty can give you a complete run down of the cartridge. He's the man who made it. Ed
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:06:06 PM EDT
Thanks for the link. I'd really like to see him chime in here regarding what motivated him to design this cartridge. This looks like a really good CQB setup that has the added bonus of being a good round for all kinds of big game hunting in the Texas area. [:D] I'd toss my 5.56 upper for this exclusively, if it wasn't such an expensive round! BTW, I don't reload so that exacerbates the problem for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:39:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bigsapper: Thanks for the link. I'd really like to see him chime in here regarding what motivated him to design this cartridge. This looks like a really good CQB setup that has the added bonus of being a good round for all kinds of big game hunting in the Texas area. [:D] I'd toss my 5.56 upper for this exclusively, if it wasn't such an expensive round! BTW, I don't reload so that exacerbates the problem for me.
View Quote
If you insist [:)] .... My first foray into this type of modification occurred following the North Hollywood bank robbery. I ended up building a No4 MkI SMLE in .45-70, but wasn't satisfied. One day while shooting the breeze with a friend the topic of Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu came up. The comments that the 5.56 didn't appear to have "one shot neutralization" capability got us to thinking. Mind you, two advanced degreed engineers, drinking beer in the Texas sun, while barbequeing 2" thick top sirloin, that's asking for trouble. One thing led to another, and eventually the .458 SOCOM cartridge appeared. I had first suggested loading the 7.62x39 with heavy bullet (like the EBR Jack Hammer rounds) but my friend wanted heavier bullets still. BTW, at that time he was active duty within the special operations community. So looking at was available (and would fit in the AR-15) the 50AE case seemed like the best start. It just needed to be longer, and a different bullet (one that would have better selection - at that time there were only 2 .50 bullets available). Add some pointers from Tony at Tromix, and with some help from Starline, we had the first test batch of brass. The purpose was to be able to fire both "light" (300 gr) bullets at moderate velocity and very heavy bullets (600 gr) at subsonic velocity from a pretty-much standard AR-15. The round was meant for "up close and personal" work, but ended up being a pretty decent deer cartridge as well. If you can provide your mailing address, I can send you a copy of one of the articles written on the cartridge, it goes into a bit more detail. Regarding ammo cost, while more costly than the 5.56 or 7.62x39, typically folks will fire a few less 458 SOCOM rounds per session, so in the long run it doesn't seem to make that much difference. For the reloader, there are so many bullets available, it sometimes is hard to pick which one to load [;)] Let me know if you have more questions Marty ter Weeme
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:38:27 PM EDT
Every day, I want one more and more. Definately next on the list. This is just too damn cool Marty. Expect my business in a few months (assuming I get my job)[:D].
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:32:15 AM EDT
Thanks, Marty.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:50:57 AM EDT
For motivational purposes, I ordered a box of the Corbon 300 grainers. Holy Elephant Gun Batman! [shock] I think I might have to work on a 45 day plan to fund my upper. Any suggestions for a scope for hunting (deer/hog)?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 12:48:49 PM EDT by SHIVAN]
I used a Pentax 0-4 power Lightseeker X/V that is clear, bright and holds a very good zero on a 50AE upper, a 440 Corbon upper and the original A2 458 SOCOM upper.... Like this but variable power: [img]http://www.samplelist.com/pictures/0852_DSCF0240.JPG[/img] I'd suggest something in that range...probably no more than 4x.... Maybe an IOR Valdada 1.1-4 Illuminated..... Or like this: [img]http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03/114x26i.jpg[/img] [url]http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03k[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:18:40 PM EDT
1x-4x variable sounds good. I like the ones you listed. I'll look at those as well as T/C. Thanks.
Top Top