Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:25:33 PM EDT
The first range trip with a new Bushmaster carbine chambered for .450 Bushmaster was a success.  The rifle fired 29 rounds all from the bench.  Flawless function.  Nice groups.  Moderate recoil.

The rifle generated some interest from adjacent benches.  To my surprise, those asking were familiar with the cartridge (the advertising may be working).

I will post some images soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This image shows the upper and its 450 Bushmaster label.
http://www.members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/450View.jpg

Here's an image of the upper receiver whose ejection port is widened.  The forward half of the ejection top is wider than the aft half of the ejection port top.  The standard dust cover is provided and even with the widened ejection port, the dust cover operates as expected.
http://www.members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/EjectionPort.jpg

For comparison, the next image contains a .223 cartridge on the left, a .450 Bushmaster cartridge in the middle, and a .454 Casull cartridge on the right.
http://www.members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/AmmoForScale.jpg
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hornady Custom .450 Bushmaster load tested is the only load available consisting of a 250gr FTX bullet.

The measured 'muzzle' velocity averaged 2173 fps from the 16" barrel.

Temperature 101 degrees F
Humidity 31%
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#3]
glad you like your new toy.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you plan to use yours for?

In my case, the carbine will be used for hunting.  Starting with predators, then this fall, big game seasons.

I look forward to posting the results.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In my case, the carbine will be used for hunting.  Starting with predators, then this fall, big game seasons.

I got mine for white tail, but if something else gets in the way it will not make it through the experience.  

If you need it hornady just released reloading data for the round.
I have it if you need it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
thinking about geting one of these, or the 458s or .50B, socom ammo is pretty pricey, .50 beowulf is about $25 a box of 20, roughly how much is the 450?  do they fit in pmags?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Man post it!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man post it!!!!!

How do you post a PDF
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Jager,

You usually need to convert the pdf to a jpg or tif.  If you want to e-mail it to me, I will convert it for you, and send back a tif, jpg and bmp of the file.  This should allow you to post as normal, through a web photo provider.

Man, I am glad Hornady is helping you guys out.  I have been periodically checking the Calgun thread, and that one scares me a bit.  I am all for pushing the limits, but the gent who is doing the testing is a new handloader, and that is potentially a bad combo, when he is being spurred on by a gent who may have a suspect background.  Just to be clear, if it turns out that the 450B can safely (and longevity) be loaded to these 458 Win Mag numbers, I would likely have to join in the fun.

Craig
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got mine for white tail, but if something else gets in the way it will not make it through the experience.  
i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/reg012.jpg

Off subject but do you not get your eye on occasion with the scope in the picture. I have bled a couple of times with my Beowulf. Finally gave up and put an eotech on it but I really want some magnification.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jager,

You usually need to convert the pdf to a jpg or tif.  If you want to e-mail it to me, I will convert it for you, and send back a tif, jpg and bmp of the file.  This should allow you to post as normal, through a web photo provider.

Man, I am glad Hornady is helping you guys out.  I have been periodically checking the Calgun thread, and that one scares me a bit.  I am all for pushing the limits, but the gent who is doing the testing is a new handloader, and that is potentially a bad combo, when he is being spurred on by a gent who may have a suspect background.  Just to be clear, if it turns out that the 450B can safely (and longevity) be loaded to these 458 Win Mag numbers, I would likely have to join in the fun.

Craig

Craig

I'm not sure how long Slash has been reloading but I don't THINK he is new to reloading(not sure).  He was defiantly on the raged edge, but he has backed off after receiving hornadys new info.  The person spurring him on is  Tim LeGendrell.  I have spoken with Tim and we talked about some of the testing that Bushmaster has done and it makes me think that the round and rifle are capable of more, but I do not have the qualifications to push the limits.  Sadly I have not been able to reload the 450 yet because I was busy trying in vain to keep my job.  

If you IM your email I will send you the PDF.  I do not know how to convert it to picture format.

arteacher

I have not had the scope eye yet, but I know that it is probably coming.  I also shoot a 45-70 handy rifle with Hornadys leverevolution so I'm kinda use to the recoil.  I think it will happen with a follow up shot.  After I get a new job and do some hand loading I would like to try an aimpoint or that new Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Jager,

I just busted up the 4page pdf file, and converted them to tif, jpeg and single sheet pdf for you.  Just finished the e-mail.  If you do not get them, drop me another line and I will resend.  Good stuff there, the gang is gonna like these.

Craig
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Craig
thanks for all the help
I posted the info in the thread

Reload data for the 450 Bushmaster
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I have never actually posted a review yet on mine.

Mine has one of the old Simmons Prodiamond 1.5 - 5x20 Shotgun scopes mounted on it that I got for $50 from CDNN a long time ago and have used on many different rifles. It was sitting here, and seemed like a good match for the gun.

I sighted it in at 25 yards cuz ballistic charts say that should put me a little high from 25 yards to 200 yards and 8" low at 250.

after initial sight-in I moved the target out to 100 yards and shot some 1.5" groups, then started pounding the 200 yard steel.

My impression is that it's fun to shoot, should be fun to dev some loads for, and I may use it for Elk this year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Reloading Data from Jagermaster from Hornady.

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/skem.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/240xtpmag.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/250ftx.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/300xtpmag.jpg

I am a big bore fan I have two of these things. I just wish Hornady made a few different loads. I bet they will come out with more in 2009.

I still find it odd that you don't reload.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Going out this weekend to try mine out.  I stuck an Elcan M145 scope on..  I will swap out the scope for an ACOG or EOtech I think.  What are the recommendations on a scope?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reloading Data from Jagermaster from Hornady.

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/skem.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/240xtpmag.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/250ftx.jpg

i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/gibsonin/300xtpmag.jpg

I am a big bore fan I have two of these things. I just wish Hornady made a few different loads. I bet they will come out with more in 2009.

I still find it odd that you don't reload.

I have money to burn

Sounds like u can afford a press, powder dispenser, reloading dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers to me. :]
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
COLD is just skeered to reload and his daddy is rich and buys him whatever he wants.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#25]
just dropped my 450 off to get my yhm free float quad rail installed. i have back buis on it now. trijicon very soon. i will post pics when it comes back from the armorer.  couldnt figure out how to get the factory free float off ha ha ha . i have put 40 rnds through mine makes a great cqb rifle lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I have enjoyed the hell out of my .450B...but the magazine and the first round feed don't get along load 4 rounds it is fine.. I bought some Sig 556's and it seems to feed fine with 10 rounds and stock follower. Mine is a carbine w/ Eotech 512.  (ammo isn't too bad @ $24/box @ CTD)
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#27]
My stock mag does the same thing.  For some reason if I load it with 4 instead of 5 it doesnt misfeed on the first round.

There is a string of discussion in the magazine forum.
I purchased a pair of Sig 556 magazine.  They are great.  I have been loading
them up with 10 rounds.  Others have said they get 12 in but I feel comfortable with 10.  You dont even need to change the follower.  Ive run 150 rounds using this so far and have not had one misfeed.

I put a Millet 1-4 scope on the gun and have been reloading with the Hornady 240 gr XTP's I love the way this thing shoots.  I cant wait until hunting season.  It will be a great piggy slayer.

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The Stainless mags that BM is selling now are what I have and they work fine.

I think some of the first 450b mags were Aluminum and had some problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#30]
ok call me crazy i do not own a sig 556. are the mags different than a regular ar15 mag? i have a ton of  pmags i was looking to custom make a mag for my bm 450. More rounds more rounds. so you are saying that a factory mag for a sig 556 will hold 10 rounds of the bm450? sign me up .. i will order 20 lol. this 5 round mag crap is rediculouse!
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ok call me crazy i do not own a sig 556. are the mags different than a regular ar15 mag? i have a ton of  pmags i was looking to custom make a mag for my bm 450. More rounds more rounds. so you are saying that a factory mag for a sig 556 will hold 10 rounds of the bm450? sign me up .. i will order 20 lol. this 5 round mag crap is rediculouse!

Actually it holds 12, but only seems to function reliably if download to 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
ok call me crazy i do not own a sig 556. are the mags different than a regular ar15 mag? i have a ton of  pmags i was looking to custom make a mag for my bm 450. More rounds more rounds. so you are saying that a factory mag for a sig 556 will hold 10 rounds of the bm450? sign me up .. i will order 20 lol. this 5 round mag crap is rediculousehis
I do not own any Magpul PMAGS.  From the photos I have seen they appear to have the same gentle curve that the Sig mags have.  I am curious if they will work.

To date I have not had any feed issues using 10 rounds in the Sig 556 mags.

Link Posted: 8/18/2008 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would only be a guess, but from what I can see from the other AR magazines I have is that the Sig 556 magazines do not have as an aggressive curve.  

I do not own any Magpul PMAGS.  From the photos I have seen they appear to have the same gentle curve that the Sig mags have.  I am curious if they will work.

The problem with using Pmags for the 450b is that they are split up front, a kind of guide that keeps the bullets on either side. With the 450b this would limit the length you can load to.

Link Posted: 8/18/2008 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]

The problem with using Pmags for the 450b is that they are split up front, a kind of guide that keeps the bullets on either side. With the 450b this would limit the length you can load to.

img381.imageshack.us/img381/7929/200703281ha6.jpg

Thanks for the info and the photos.  I had planned on purchasing to see if it worked.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would only be a guess, but from what I can see from the other AR magazines I have is that the Sig 556 magazines do not have as an aggressive curve.  

dunno how long the 450 is but my 50 beo fit after a lil file work....  of course that was for my 10 rounders.... 30 mags needed nothing... depends on the length of the bullet tho... next time your at a gun show or range ask to look at the mag and have one of your bullets handy... see if it fits well
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dunno how long the 450 is but my 50 beo fit after a lil file work....  of course that was for my 10 rounders.... 30 mags needed nothing... depends on the length of the bullet tho... next time your at a gun show or range ask to look at the mag and have one of your bullets handy... see if it fits well

Just tried it and it doesn't work with the factory ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I have two that Imodified to work -- but only with the 240 gr. Hornaday.  Factory ammo will not work.  

Orginally I removed the rib on the front of the mag, but then the follower would tilt and get stuck.  

The mags that work with the 240 gr (seated in the crimp groove) have the follower modified with a half round groove so they would look like the blue followers that Bushmaster sells.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Again, I will vocalize my wish that magpul could make some single-stack AR mags for all us 'big bore' shooters.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Again, I will vocalize my wish that magpul could make some single-stack AR mags for all us 'big bore' shooters.

+1

edit:    With Strong Feed Lips
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I changed stocks on my .450 Bushmaster carbine from the A2 stock to a Bushmaster 6 position collabsible stock.  Bushmaster customer support recommended the use of the hydraulic buffer which I also installed.

Here is the first coyote of the season I took up in the high country of Arizona.  This coyote was tumbled with one shot from the 450 BFI at 46 yards while running directly away from me.  I called in the coyote to within 20 yards using a mouth blown call.
http://members.cox.net/yoteaddict/images/0822080721_small.jpg
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#41]
The mag that came with my carbine is aluminum.  The two spare mags I recently received from Bushmaster are the stainless steel variety.  I prefer the quality of workmaship on the stainless steel mags.  The side of the stainless steel mags are stamped "SS" on the left side and "Bushmaster 450" on both sides.

All of my mags have functioned properly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#42]
The mag that came with my carbine is aluminum.  The two spare mags I recently received from Bushmaster are the stainless steel variety.  I prefer the quality of workmaship on the stainless steel mags.  The side of the stainless steel mags are stamped "SS" on the left side and "Bushmaster 450" on both sides.

All of my mags have functioned properly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#44]
No, I did not photograph the wound.  It wasn't pretty.  I was intentially avoiding taking a photograph of the 'exit' side of the animal, although I agree that would have been useful information to document.  The fur is not prime, but if it had been prime, the exit caused significant damage and would have required some repair work.

My intention for this cartridge is its use on larger game but the coyotes provide a means to practice with the desired equipment in field conditions.  Since, of course, big game hunting has strict limits, adequate practice is not practical.  With no limit on coyotes in my state (AZ), hunting them provides an opportunity for that needed practice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I recently received my 'Fall Sale' .450 Bushmaster carbine upper direct from Bushmaster.  At the discounted price it was an offer I didn't want to pass up, being that I have multiple hunters in the family.  The upper receiver is marked '450 Bushmaster' in gold color instead of the silver color marking of my first carbine.  The magazine Bushmaster provided with it is marked as indicated in my prior post.  This magazine has a black finish instead of the gray finish of my other .450 Bushmaster magazines.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#46]
So you could theoretically load 230 grain .45acp bullets in this...?

Link Posted: 10/28/2008 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, Some people have been loading bulk .452 bullets with decent results as far as plinking rounds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Some people have been loading bulk .452 bullets with decent results as far as plinking rounds.

Thank you. Someone finally answered this question for me.

This is why I'll end going with the 450 over the Socom...

Link Posted: 10/29/2008 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. Someone finally answered this question for me.

This is why I'll end going with the 450 over the Socom...

Well I just bought 100 of These to try out. I'll let you know how they work.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering if there were any feeding problems with others not having the rubber tip like the Hornadys.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top